Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #41

We got a second replacement mattress from Jayco, same garbage. I would just go out and buy something decent. We are going to Sam's a pick up a Serta with an inner spring!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #42

Is the mattress covered under warranty? If so I'm making that call today. Thanks for the input.
lumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #43

Thanks Deeger did you put the 3” memory foam over the the Jayco mattress or did you purchase a thicker one and deep six Jayco’s.

Thanks again.
GeorgeDX213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDX213 View Post
Thanks Deeger did you put the 3” memory foam over the the Jayco mattress or did you purchase a thicker one and deep six Jayco’s.

Thanks again.
Before we cut it down, we had the same problem you do with it hanging into the couch/dinette. We cut it down and put a king size mattress protector over it, then it and a king fitted sheet over both mattresses. The new set up is much more comfortable. You have to watch your head getting up, as you are closer to the cabinets. I've had a couple of dings getting up in the middle of the night. It's a lot easier to make the bed, as the sheets aren't so loose. We found that sleeping on top of the sheet in a fleece sleeping bag liner makes it easy as pie, you just roll them up in the morning and stash them.
Deeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #45

So you removed the Jayco mattress (did not cut that down) used the cut downed memory with a mattress cover and a fitted sheet that’s it right.

Just making sure you did not also cut down the mattress that came with the camper.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDX213 View Post
So you removed the Jayco mattress (did not cut that down) used the cut downed memory with a mattress cover and a fitted sheet that’s it right.

Just making sure you did not also cut down the mattress that came with the camper.

Thanks for your replies.
Just the topper. We cut it a little inside the dimensions of the stock mattress to give it just a little "taper", so to speak. This was to make it easier to but the mattress cover and sheets on. It also gives you a nice place to put your water bottle in the corner by your head.
Deeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #47

Thr mattress was turned the wrong way, and overhung by 3” turned it and fits correct, now will do what you did and cut the topper a bit.

Thanks again for your reply’s.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We got a second replacement mattress from Jayco, same garbage. I would just go out and buy something decent. We are going to Sam's a pick up a Serta with an inner spring!Thanks
How did you get them to agree to anything. My dealer can't get me in forever for something like that.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #49

We just bought a 2010 Designer and are looking to replace the mattress with a memory foam. It's a king mattress with rounded corners. 72" x 80" We'd like to stay under $500 for a replacement. Anyone have any luck cutting down a Cali King to fit? Seems the easiest method as we'd only have to trim the 4 inches from the bottom that way.
HappyinmyFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #50

Welcome to the forum.

I know some members on this site have successfully trimmed their foam mattress using an electric carving knife. If you don't hear from them, consider re-posting in a new topic mentioning trimming a mattress. This is an old topic.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #51

Look on Amazon for ZINUS mattresses. About $350 for a king 12 inch mattress. I have the short queen 10 inch and it is fine except heavy for my tip up bed storage.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
BillV, how many times have you used that mattress? Is it holding up well? Is it Firm, med, or soft? Is it hot?
We've used it about 40 nights. It is Medium comfort level. It does not get hot because it is inner spring as opposed to foam. It is a bit heavier than the original foam mattress. And, it a bit higher. You only notice the weight difference when you lift it up to get to storage under the bed. All in all, worth the money in our view.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinmyFifth View Post
We just bought a 2010 Designer and are looking to replace the mattress with a memory foam. It's a king mattress with rounded corners. 72" x 80" We'd like to stay under $500 for a replacement. Anyone have any luck cutting down a Cali King to fit? Seems the easiest method as we'd only have to trim the 4 inches from the bottom that way.
I haven't cut a mattress, but I would think a serrated bread knife longer than the mattress is thick would work fine.

My 2 cents
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #54

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Found a few mattresses on Amazon that could work. We had cut one years ago when we had a motorhome (used an electric knife, many videos on YT about it for those who may need to do that) but had sort of hoped there would be an easier, affordable way to do it now.

Thinking with having to do the radius cut on the bottom for a 72"x80" bed going with a CA King that's 74"x84" makes the most sense. Some mattresses have removable covers and some are sewn on so trying to see which will work best. And don't know how it will cut through the gel layer. Will check the threads for more info on that, too. Also don't want so much weight on top that we can't get into the storage below easily.

This one at Mattress Insider is always an option because it comes cut that way already but in our size it's $647, but still that's not much over our budget. https://www.mattressinsider.com/memo...es.htmlhttp://
If I could get hubby to lose a few pounds, lol, we could possibly get the cheaper one http://https://www.mattressinsider.c...-mattress.html which seemed to get great reviews and is only $387.

Still thinking a bit more. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #55

$20 - $30 Intex inflatable mattress from Wal-Mart with Portable Air pump (6 C batteries)

Way more comfortable (than the original)and doesn't add wait to the front of the trailer (Ours is a front Queen Bed)

It will probably leak eventually but for the price I'll just go get another
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #56

Thanks for all the suggestions. We had cut down a memory foam years ago when we had a motorhome. We used an electric bread knife. Lots of videos on YT about that if anyone isn't sure how to do it. Will also check through the threads here some more.

Thought there might be an easier option now, like the air bed, but would rather have a memory foam. We need it to be 72" x 80" and the CA Kings are 72" x 84" so we'd just have to trim one end. But have to check out the memory foams so they can be assessed to be cut and also so they don't add too much weight to get into the storage below.

The other option are these I found from Mattress Insider https://www.mattressinsider.com/deluxe-rv-mattress.htmlthat are the right size and even have the radius cuts. I thought the weight limit per person was 200 lbs. but now reading it again see it is 250 lbs. so that should work and the reviews seem positive and I wouldn't have to cut anything.

Still doing some thinking.