Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Mattress

Almost 1 year camper....won't last much longer with mattress that came with Hummingbird. Has anyone had theirs replaced and was the Jayco replacement any better?
Thanks!
sewwhynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Is the mattress still in one piece? For my previous camper, I went to Walmart and picked up a thick foam mattress topper. Worked well, much more comfortable.
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Matress

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewwhynot View Post
Almost 1 year camper....won't last much longer with mattress that came with Hummingbird. Has anyone had theirs replaced and was the Jayco replacement any better?
Thanks!
My first rig was Jayflight SLX185RB, full size queen. Mattress was pretty good, and at four years when traded the tt, mattress stayed with me. At 5.5 years it threw craps (mattress age-approximately 78 trips with well over 500 nights on it, even a honeymoon!) ...bought a Denver mattress residential Seally floor model for 60% off....and three months later it stayed with me in the new Jayco. Very similar to the Saatva mattresses in the house, sheets interchange and all....Jayco is known for good mattresses, but they will never beat one from a mattress store. Yes a full queen will fit in a 23RL.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
....Jayco is known for good mattresses...
I don't think so - at least not based on my own experience and all the "junk mattress" threads I see on this forum. Maybe that was the case in the past but not now.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

New to rving. I put a queen size pillow top from Sears in my Jayco 19RD. Little snug getting fitted sheet on but we love it!
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Have a topper...bad back might be needing more!
sewwhynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #7

Just got back from a weeks boondocking in northern Arizona. My back still hurts!
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

What mattress do you have?
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Everyone has to choose his own comfort. Some are happy with toppers and some have to buy a new mattress. RV's never have the highest quality mattress, because many for recreational use put up with it. Manufactures want to save production cost to stay inline with other manufactures. So many RVers replace their mattress in the first year.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewwhynot View Post
Our Hummingbird 17RB is our first travel trailer. It is 1 1/2 years old and we love it but we also had many warranty repairs. The last one warranty replacement was a new mattress which was much better than the original. After 6 months the original mattress sagged badly in the middle and the edges were firm. It was replaced under warranty. Other items replaced under warranty were total replacement of both brakes and drums, USB charger (twice), screen over the dinette (bugs came in when fully open), awning LEDs (no red which made the white colored), and the CO/Propane detector quit.
Seabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Got our replacement off E-Bay. Great mattress.

Blissful Journey RV Pillowtop Short Queen-size Innerspring Mattress Bed in a Box
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
....Jayco is known for good mattresses, but they will never beat one from a mattress store.
The original mattress that came in my Designer wasn't worth the thin material it was made out of. I tried to give it to my niece for her dogs and they wouldn't sleep on it either. So I burned it.

I have had a Sleep Number Radius RV King ever since. 8 years now full time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #13

Any idea what caused the brakes to replaced!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Got our replacement off E-Bay. Great mattress.

Blissful Journey RV Pillowtop Short Queen-size Innerspring Mattress Bed in a Box
BillV, how many times have you used that mattress? Is it holding up well? Is it Firm, med, or soft? Is it hot?
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Any idea what caused the brakes to replaced!
I think the brakes were dragging from day 1 and we did not know we should have been getting better gas mileage. That probably caused the brakes to fail. Now with good brakes we get 13 to 14 mpg at 65 mph on level ground with no wind and light traffic.
Seabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #16

The mattress in our X213 is really uncomfortable so we got a topper from Costco that's a king. It was too long so we cut it down. We used a chalk string for a straight line, put my wife's sewing cutting board under it so we wouldn't cut the carpet and cut with an electric knife. It made a pretty nice cut. Now our sheets fit and it doesn't droop over onto the dinette/couch. qq
The memory foam sleeps hotter, but it's way more comfortable.
Deeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Vicrus
We got a 2" topper from Big Lots. made a world of difference.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #18

Camping since I was a toddler consisted of either a cot or an air mattress. We continued that way with our kids until they were teenagers.

30 years ago we bought a 24 year old used trailer and we used it until it was 50 years old, with the original "seat cushions" that we slept on. We and our kids loved it and we all slept like babies - I mean, isn't that was camping is all about?

Our 2015 Jayco's short queen is soooo nice. Then, this year we bought a 2" gel foam topper for it, and now we are in heaven.

If the wife gets mad at me and i have to sleep in the old 54 year old camper (moved up the hill into our "guesthouse campsite"), I'm sure it will be just fine.

Just to be sure......i NEVER stayed at a Holiday Inn Express EVER.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #19

The mattress that came with our 2015 Jay Flight 195RB was so horrible that I couldn't even give it away for a pet bed. I replaced it with a 3-inch foam topper under two extra long and extra wide inflatable camping mattresses (Therma-Rest style from REI) for more stability and adjustable firmness for my co-sleeper. We use the REI pads for grandkids in the house when not camping, so I though that was good investment.
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #20

We got a Zinus for @ $200 on Amazon 10" Memory foam. We love it and most our friends have replaced theirs with one as well. Not much more than a good topper. Measure before ordering we have a Queen not a camper queen.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote