Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Some Jay Flight Swift 198RD Questions

I bought a 2013 Jay Flight Swift 198 RD a few days ago. It was made in 8/2012, but it says 2013 on the title. I am an experienced motor home owner, but have never owned a travel trailer. I am going to use this little trailer for bluegrass festivals, where I will have both electric power and water. From now own, the big motor home stays on asphalt and concrete, only. I have read through the online owner's manual, and I am still unclear about a few things that I hope others can answer for me.

1. Does one fill the fresh water tank using a potable water hose stuck into "gravity fill"? When I attach a potable hose to the "city water" inlet, The tank doesn't fill, even though the hot and cold lines fill and run just fine.

2. My refrigerator has an "auto" and a "gas" switch. I presume the refrigerator will run on propane when pulling the trailer, as long as it is getting 12 volt power through the hitch power cord? If I set it on "Auto", does it automatically switch from propane to 120 volt AC when I park and connect to shore power? Or do I set it on "gas" to travel, and then back to "auto" after connecting to shore power?

3. The manual says only use a group 27 auxiliary battery, but the camper has a group 24 battery that seems to be working just fine. Do I need to replace it?

Thanks for any help!
Beadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadog View Post

1. Does one fill the fresh water tank using a potable water hose stuck into "gravity fill"? When i attach a potable hose to the "city water" inlet, the tank doesn't fill, even though the hot and cold lines fill and run just fine.

when you use gravity fill it fills the water tank, when using city water it just pressurizes the system and doesn't fill the tank

2. My refrigerator has an "auto" and a "gas" switch. I presume the refrigerator will run on propane when pulling the trailer, as long as it is getting 12 volt power through the hitch power cord? If i set it on "auto", does it automatically switch from propane to 120 volt ac when i park and connect to shore power? Or do i set it on "gas" to travel, and then back to "auto" after connecting to shore power?

yes it will run on propane when towing, it gets 12v from battery

3. The manual says only use a group 27 auxiliary battery, but the camper has a group 24 battery that seems to be working just fine. Do i need to replace it?

group 24 will work fine, it just has less capacity than a 27

thanks for any help!
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

We travel with the fridge off. A frozen 2 litre bottle keeps stuff cold enroute
We've logged 40000 miles doing this. Saves on propane

City water connection is not for filling freshwater tank
Gravity is the correct one. You can use a water can or a hose.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Thanks so much! I have spent about 12 hrs over the last three days trying to figure most of this stuff out, but was just a little puzzled about these things!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Oh, and here is my rig!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the JOF from Western NY! You have the same unit as our 2012 Jay Flight 19RD, and we love it. If any other questions pop up, ask away. It's going to get answered.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Welcome to the JOF from Western NY! You have the same unit as our 2012 Jay Flight 19RD, and we love it. If any other questions pop up, ask away. It's going to get answered.
Thank you!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #8

I need to replace the electric water heater element in this little 198RD. The propane heating function works fine. Is there a list somewhere on the site of what element I need to buy?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

I would think if you open the HWT cover on the outside you will see a plate or sticker with the model number of the HWT on it, then you can order the correct one.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would think if you open the HWT cover on the outside you will see a plate or sticker with the model number of the HWT on it, then you can order the correct one.
You are probably correct. I will check there first. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:11 PM   #11

I just bought a 2012 Swift 198, and look forward to reading al these posts!
ahaywood5785 is offline   Reply With Quote