Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #1

Stromber Tongue Tray

Since getting our 2019 174BH a month ago, we have been out 2 weekends so far. In that time, I have made a couple of additions to it. I have added as second battery box and plan to replace the current Group 24 Centennial DP24mfs battery with 2 new ones before our Christmas trip. I have also upgraded the propane holder to a double.

The TT is great, but really lacks storage, so I was thinking about adding one of these Stromber Trays to the front to carry another addition I am looking at in the future, a generator.

Question is, have any of you used one of these? My concern is the added weight. Based on the owners manual, my 2015 Mercedes ML350 4matic has a max tongue weight of 500 lb, this tray is 68 lb, Since the specs on the TT says it has a hitch weight of 305 lb, I am wondering is adding more weight to the tongue is really a good idea? So far, the two trips we have gone on was a 50 mile from home easy overnight to test out the TT, and a 250 mile from home over a couple mountain passes(Home is about 600 ft elevation, the highest pass was just over 3000 ft). Also, both the second propane tank and the second battery box (battery not added yet) were added after our two trips.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQG0K3C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Current Camper - 2019 Jayco 174BH
fisduki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Also, is there a way to change the logon timeout? While typing this post (and many of my previous replies) I was logged out and had to log back on, then use my browser back button to go back and post what I wrote.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisduki View Post
Also, is there a way to change the logon timeout? While typing this post (and many of my previous replies) I was logged out and had to log back on, then use my browser back button to go back and post what I wrote.
Yes, when you log on, there's a small box to check, with "Remember Me" next to it. Check that box every time you sign in, and you won't time out when posting. That should take care of it for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Team

The first thing that I would recommend would be for you to visit a CAT scale and determine exactly what your current tongue weight is. Factory listed tongue weight and dry weight specs on RV's are notoriously inaccurate.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
The first thing that I would recommend would be for you to visit a CAT scale and determine exactly what your current tongue weight is. Factory listed tongue weight and dry weight specs on RV's are notoriously inaccurate.
I read through the post someone made about going to a CAT scale and how to do three tests, the third was to get the tongue weight, but it said for the 3rd weighing to detach the WDH chains. I don't use one of those, so would I just do 2 weighings?

Old 09-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I read through the post someone made about going to a CAT scale and how to do three tests, the third was to get the tongue weight, but it said for the 3rd weighing to detach the WDH chains. I don't use one of those, so would I just do 2 weighings?
On the 3rd weigh disconnect your spring bars of you are using an equalizer or other WDH that uses bars without chains.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
If you are not using a weight distributing hitch at all, you would only need to do 2 times across the scales.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #8

I echo the member who said to get an accurate tongue weight. My 154BH Baja had a dry tongue weight of 315 lbs, then when the battery was added, the propane tank filled, and the trailer loaded, with most cargo behind the axle and no water in the fresh water tank, the tongue weighed in at 368 lbs. I believe the addition of a second battery and propane tank has probably put your tongue weight well over 400 lbs already, and the addition of the proposed storage rack and a generator will have you over the 500 lb weight limit of your tow vehicle.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you know all your weights and not over your axle weight. You can counter balance by putting something (for example a lightweight box) on the back of the TT. WD can transfer weight to the TV and some to the TT axle. You can calculate from the centerline of the axle.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #10

Try Mount-n-lock
https://mount-n-lock.com/

I was looking to use them for my 145RB but got a New Ford Ranger instead
Old 09-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Try Mount-n-lock
https://mount-n-lock.com/

I was looking to use them for my 145RB but got a New Ford Ranger instead
I have been thinking about those options as well, but I read somewhere that the bumper is only designed to hold 100 lbs which includes the spare in our case.

I looked and our 4" square bumper is welded to the frame, so not sure if it is just cheap material or why that limit is so low??

***** UPDATE *****

That didn't take long. Page 38 of the downloaded owners manual for the Jay Flight says the limit is 100 lbs. Guess I will need to look at getting a receiver hitch attached.

Guess it is time to put on the sleuthing hat and find out if the 100 lbs is really the limit for the rear bumper on a 174BH or just on some models??

Old 09-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #12

You are correct about the weight limitations for our trailers' rear bumper. Products such as the one at the following link can help. https://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Suppor...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #13

If you have a pickup I just locked and strapped the Generator in the bed I left the ramps at home so I would not take it out and leave it at the campsite. I was never away from our truck that long on our trip to Yellowstone this month. When parked in rest areas we would open the front window protector enough to see out plus I had a third form of theft deterrence
Old 09-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Site Team

The limiting factor is the thin metal that the bumper is made of. The welds will get stress cracks and rip apart from the weight and stress of bouncing down the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #15

Lock and Mount I think offers a replacement aluminum bumper
Old 10-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #16

I don’t think I would be interested in the Stromber tray, looks like a lot of work to access the propane tanks, just my opinion

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #17

Also to consider -- weight distribution in a small trailer.

I have a 174BH. We briefly did have a tray on the back bumper...realized mid-trip it was starting to deform the bumper and took it off. But in that brief time I can say the trailer was noticeably less stable due to the extra weight so far back.

I am not also considering the Stromber tray for this reason. Like to carry a couple small Honda 2200i generators plus 5-10gal of fuel. Rather not have the fuel cans in the back of the truck behind the kids.
spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote