Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2023, 09:11 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I'm so hesitant about solar because of the whole drilling into the roof thing. 600W would be amazing! That would really extend my boondocking time and keep me from having to drive to recharge.
Drilling into the roof is a snap. Especially with the Jayco, since the roofing on my 195 appeared to be more substantial than the one currently on my Keystone. Fishing the wires from the "gland" (I didn't make up the name, it's the roof port for the MC4 solar connectors) was more trouble since the 10g wires are not fun to run down the header.

I ended up pulling one of the puck lights, drilling upwards into the roof OSB, then getting on the roof and drilling out the hole to be larger to accommodate the wiring through the roof. Liberal application of Dicor and we were in business. Waited a couple of days for the Dicor to dry then blasted with water - no leaks!

Doooooo ittttt...
Attached Thumbnails
20230325_165815.jpg   20230325_183154.jpg   20230326_134959.jpg  
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:15 PM   #182

Axle Upgrade

During a recent trip, I figured we were about at our heaviest. Four new lithium batteries, new inverter, a full fresh water tank, and full black and grey tanks. Plus, we had extra supplies loaded in the RV for special activities. I decided to hit the weigh scale and found out that we were, uh, VERY overweight on our single 3,500lb axle, wheels, and tires...as in 700 pounds overweight. This was reinforced by the fact that the inside edges of the trailer tires were wearing at an accelerated rate. Oof!

We live in this little RV for extended periods of time, so I don't see us getting any lighter. Time for an axle upgrade.

My lovely wife made all of the arrangements with Dexter. By giving them the serial number off of our existing Dexter axle, they were able to match all of the critical measurements to build a 5,200 lb axle. Fantastic customer service and interaction from Dexter. Pro tip: Take pictures of all of the stickers on your axle and trailer for later use. They'll eventually become unreadable. We sprung for the auto-adjust brakes. Delivered to our door was $1,020.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_141654-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	91971

It's hard to believe that a mere 4 bolts is all that holds the entire axle onto the trailer, but after lots of jacking, blocking, etc., the new axle is in. We attached the trailer tongue to our tow vehicle so that we only had to lift and support the two rear corners. That also meant the trailer at least couldn't move forward or backward. We ran out of 6x6 and 4x4 blocking -- the offroad RV sits high and standard floor jacks just don't have the height -- so we resorted to some redneck firewood rounds. A floor creeper worked well to slide one end of the axle underneath the RV while two people lifted and pushed the axle from the other side. The bare axle and springs weigh about 200 pounds, and that's maybe 30 pounds heavier than the original 3,500-lb axle.

Name:	20240209_150029.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	91968

The new axle is a 6-lug pattern and I needed wheels with a higher weight rating, so I purchased two new wheels from eTrailer. They're rated for 2,600 lb each. We thought about going up to a 16" wheel so that we could use taller tires and get more ground clearance, but I wasn't confident that I'd get enough clearance in the wheel well when the springs were compressed, so we stuck with the original 15" wheel size.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...r/AM20514.html.

Unfortunately, the center pilot hole on this particular wheel is 3.65", which is a non-standard size. I can't find a center hub cover in that diameter. They jump from 3.17" up to the industry standard 4.25". Had I known that, I would have purchased a different wheel with a standard 4.25" pilot hole. Hub covers at that size are abundant. The only available cover is a "half moon" hubcap that's more appropriate for a retro trailer than it is for a lifted offroad trailer. I may end up just leaving the end of the hub exposed if I can't find a more aesthetic solution. (Yes, both grease caps were dented in transit and Dexter is sending us new ones.)

Name:	20240209_162809-1.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	91970

I also needed two new tires capable of handling the extra weight. I purchased Falken A/T4W LT235-75/R15 tires with a load index of 116.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...wildpeak-a-t4w

These are 10-ply equivalent offroad tires with a weight rating of 2,756 lb per tire.
https://www.treadwright.com/blogs/tr...-vs-load-range

Name:	20240209_162820.jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	91969

I estimate I gained a couple additional inches of ground clearance with the new springs and tires, so I'll need to readjust the weight distribution hitch.

I expect at our heaviest that we'll run about 4,400 pounds, so this new 5,200-lb axle setup will now give us a safe 800 pound safety cushion.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #183

New Lug Nuts

This new Dexter axle came from the factory with plan, open-face lug nuts. I installed some closed end 1/2-20 x 1.38" acorn nuts in order to protect the studs from rust and offroad debris.

Name:	20240311_164720.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	92338

Amazon has a plethora of black acorn lug nuts, but these seem to get good ratings.
https://a.co/d/1IkQfe2

Name:	20240311_165902.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	92339

Yes, the grease caps ended up like that in transit from Dexter. They immediately sent us new ones, but I haven't installed them yet. I'd like to wait for summer and paint them black.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:28 AM   #184

Bob, It's been a while since you were dealing with the leaking front window, but do you have any update how you finally solved that issue? We are new to the TT life and have discovered that the front window on our 174BH is leaking in a similar way--at the lower corners of the window and going out. We started out by pulling the window and replacing the butyl sealant then going around the outside with proflex. When that didn't work, we pulled the rubber weatherstripping and oh my was there water behind there even though it hasn't rained in 3 days! I assume the next step is to pull the glass, clean the surface, and reseal from scratch. Since you seem to have walked a similar road, I would love advice.

Thanks.
wildbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:47 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbound View Post
Bob, It's been a while since you were dealing with the leaking front window, but do you have any update how you finally solved that issue? We are new to the TT life and have discovered that the front window on our 174BH is leaking in a similar way--at the lower corners of the window and going out. We started out by pulling the window and replacing the butyl sealant then going around the outside with proflex. When that didn't work, we pulled the rubber weatherstripping and oh my was there water behind there even though it hasn't rained in 3 days! I assume the next step is to pull the glass, clean the surface, and reseal from scratch. Since you seem to have walked a similar road, I would love advice. Thanks.
I haven't finished the repair but that's the same thing I intend to do: Remove the window, clean off all surfaces, and reseal with silicone. I just need to stay home long enough and stop using the TT long enough to effect the repair.