Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #1

tow vehicle

I have a 2013 Jayco Ultralite 23B hybrid. I have been towing it with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L engine. I am looking for new tow vehicle. I am told that I can tow this camper with a 3.6 6 cylinder. I don't tow very far or very often. Three times a year at most and maybe 20 miles on backroads and county roads. Not on any interstates. I am not sure if I will be happy with the 6 cylinder after having the v8 hemi all these years. Anyone have experience towing this camper with a v6? Being an ultralite the camper tow weight is around 4-5,000 lbs. They say the v6 can tow up to 6200 pounds if the car has factory tow pkg.
Rosebud
Rosebudcsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #2

My concern is the stopping and any sudden emergency maneuvers you may need. Light engine usually means lighter frame and brakes.

If you tend to push the speed while towing then the smaller engine will frustrate you. But once you have that mass moving it will tend to keep moving. You can pull a freight train with a four cylinder once you get it moving.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

A friend of mine towed a 17 SLX Baja with his minivan. Same 3.6 Pentastar engine. It did the job fine, but it runs high RPMs to do it. That engine makes most of its power up top vs the 5.7 which has hundreds of ft/lbs down low.

I have both engines in my rigs. My truck is the 5.7 and my Jeep has the 3.6. The 3.6 has plenty of power if you are willing to stomp on it. If you are only towing short distances I think you'll be fine. You can always upgrade your brake rotors if you need a bit more stopping power. Factory rotors are pretty crap and aftermarket ones are affordable and easy to install.

Also, the 3.6 will be much easier on the wallet for gas mileage when you aren't towing!
PoulsboJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

That's going to be a big drop in HP and torque. In my opinion you're going to hate it. I towed my X20, only 200# lighter than your X23B, with a 4.2L inline 6 in a Chevy Trailblazer. Similar HP and torque specs to the 3.6. It was OK, but not great. Hills and wind forced lots of downshifting. I replaced the Trailblazer due to having lots of miles with the Sierra in my signature. 5.3L V8, night and day difference in towing ability.

That said you aren't towing far or too often. There's a lot to be said for downsizing so it may work for you. Can you ask to test the new vehicle with the trailer as a condition of the sale?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

We tow a 22bhm with a Subaru ascent, it has a 2.4L turbo 4cyl backed by a CVT. The pentastar has a bit more horsepower but the same torque as our Subaru, it wont win any races but picking up speed hasn't been a problem for us. You are pulling slightly more weight than we are but we haven't had any issues towing or slowing. As long as you set your brake controller up correctly and you are driving like you have 5k lbs ready to push you through the next car then you should be fine. You wont win any races but it is definitely not a painfully slow process. We get to speed pretty easy and can maintain without issues even on what few inclines Florida has to offer.
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

You mentioned that you tow with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L. What year would be 3.6L? First compare the specs, as the newest 3.6L may not be that much behind with the power / torque vs. 2007 5.7L.

My BMW X5 3L diesel is 265 horsepower and 425 max torque. I towed my 28DSBH to up to 13% grade hills. I am always watching oil/motor/trans temps, but did not have problem with this.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-x5-53561.html
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

bono,

The 3.6 started in 2011. Rated at 290 HP and 260 ft/lbs torque. By comparison, the 5.7s run anywhere from 350 to 400 HP depending on year and trim, and 390 or more ft/lbs torque.

While the numbers are both suitable for towing, there are differences in ability to deliver that power. The 3.6 is revvy and max power is achieved high in the RPM range.

In my opinion (and I have both engines) it is a trade off. Better gas mileage can be achieved daily in the 3.6, but for towing, I'm not even considering using my Jeep. The truck with the 5.7 is just easier all around and is meant for heavy duty work. Yes, the mileage is a cost, but in the long run wear and tear will be less. So, cost savings.

As for the OP, he is only towing 20 miles or so, so I think the 3.6 would be plenty for that type of work.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

My 3.5L Ecoboost V6 is a towing monster!

I know that's not what you're looking at.

I towed a Jayco x213 for 6 years with a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse 3.6L and it worked fine. I towed through the appalachian mountains with it as well. Not breaking any land speed records, but it was no slouch either. I usually cruised at 63MPH in 4th or 5th gear depending on terrain and wind. We made many great memories with that setup.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #9

toyota fj jayco jay feather 7 19xud @ 9000 ft boondocking

Camping @ 9000 ft cloudcroft nm axle flip for boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
side view 9000 ft.jpg   trailer chris 2019.jpg  
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

I sometimes get amused at what some people call good tow vehicles. Years ago, I was parked next to a guy pulling an 18' camper with a Chevy Nova with a six cylinder. I asked him how he did it. He said it does a great job but sometimes he can only go 35 mph. If you are only going 20 miles, about anything will work. just be safe.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

Two years ago I stopped and helped a guy going to Cloudcroft NM that just purchased a new to him camping trailer on the side of the road. The trailer was on its side (what a big mess) and the tow vehicle rear was up in the air with the bumper bent all to hell. He was driving @ 75 mph with no towing system other than a hitch and said he had no problem until it started swaying - the tow vehicle was a F-150 and the trailer weight - as I remember to what the camper trailer ID tag - was around Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 5,500 - and he had a tank full of water, underbelly tank split open. He said the trailer started swaying was when he started slowing down, hitting his brakes (don't know if he had the trailer brakes working)- that was when the trailer went on its side. It takes more than just a good tow vehicle. The FJ and 4 runner both can pull the trailer much easier than a Nova @ 75 mph and very easy around the mountains. It is within legal tow weight for both Texas and New Mexico - I tow with a full towing system and keep my speed down with no wind @ 65 mph. I have been towing camping trailers with the FJ camping in the mountains for over 7 years and with an older 4 Runner before purchasing the new TRD for 14 years - never had any problems with towing with any of these vehicles. Do I tow anything bigger or heavier than the jay feather 7 19xud - absolutely not - it is at the limit. I have towed with big monsters with large heavy trailers loaded to the max. that would take a city block to stop; however, I feel safer towing with this little setup -taking it easy and safe - no hurry. Thank you for your comments.
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach7581 View Post
I sometimes get amused at what some people call good tow vehicles. Years ago, I was parked next to a guy pulling an 18' camper with a Chevy Nova with a six cylinder. I asked him how he did it. He said it does a great job but sometimes he can only go 35 mph. If you are only going 20 miles, about anything will work. just be safe.
LOL! I grew up in Germany in the 70s. At that time, my family had a VW beetle with 35 HP, which we took on vacations with five people in it. The trunk held only one suitcase, so the other suitcases were on the roof rack. I am sure we exceeded the GVWR, if such a measure actually existed at the time. Even with pedal to the metal, the beetle slowed down to 25-30 mph at the top of steep hills on the interstate (remember, there is no speed limit on German highways).

Now, people complain about the lack of tow vehicle suitability when they have to push the pedal a little harder to maintain 65 mph at the top of a hill . First world problems.

BTW: We have an x213 too, towing with a 5.3L Silverado 1500. Tows great, just wish it didn't have the 3.08 gears. Didn't pay attention to that when shopping.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #13

I’m new to the forum but have been RVing for decades, most everyone will agree that a tow vehicle needs a longer wheel base and heavier suspension to tow well. You can tow short distances with just about anything, if your travel several hundred miles away with a minimal tow vehicle you’ll feel like you just ran a 5k marathon.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #14

I will be towing my little 165 sport with my 2500HD, it’s what I tow my big camper with, 410 gears and will pass most everything but a gas station.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #15

In 1977 we purchased a 19 foot fully contained Bonanza tag. We towed it with a (ready for this)....a 1974 Plymouth 'Cuda, 4 on the floor. Burned up the clutch that is for sure. Oh those were the days.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:32 AM   #16

I sometimes get amused by internet armchair engineers, who think that only trucks can tow. Towing is a bit more complicated than a big engine, payload and a long wheelbase.

For many, e.g. a Corvette may be a better option / a better tow vehicle (more stable/better handling, better brakes, etc.) then a truck. Most at the same time cannot even imagine that such car could tow anything. Let alone 25 ft trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach7581 View Post
Old 03-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #17

@bono
Not to be rude... but a Corvette? No. Too low, wrong suspension, not wide enough to see behind you, not enough tongue weight capacity. Suitable for a light duty tow trailer in town at best.

Yes, There is more to a tow rig than HP. You need sufficient brakes, proper suspension so your vehicle isn't imbalanced (think front wheel weight), wheel base, a proper hitch, transmission cooling, correct gear ratio, etc.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoulsboJohnny View Post
@bono
Not to be rude... but a Corvette? No. Too low, wrong suspension, not wide enough to see behind you, not enough tongue weight capacity. Suitable for a light duty tow trailer in town at best.

Yes, There is more to a tow rig than HP. You need sufficient brakes, proper suspension so your vehicle isn't imbalanced (think front wheel weight), wheel base, a proper hitch, transmission cooling, correct gear ratio, etc.
nothing a good WDH wouldn't solve /s
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #19

Are you suggesting that live axle, leaf springs are superior to independent suspension? Sure, live axle and leaf springs are cheap to made. This is the end of the benefits of such setup.

Are you suggesting that Corvette brakes are not up to the task to stop a trailer? Also, are you suggesting that Corvette does not have enough power to tow a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoulsboJohnny View Post
@bono

Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #20

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Funny that we don't see semi trucks and trailers with independent suspension and coil springs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote