Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

uneven platform/offroad with WDH

Hey guys just a quick question, I have really only done short distance trips with travel trailers. We are thinking about doing longer highway trips in the near future, and am installing an WDH. If I leave the WDH on for the short trips, has anyone had a problem with WDH and offroad (forest service/BLM type roads). Any tips or techniques?

And more importantly, My driveway is not level. The TT is level but is there any potential problems with adjusting WDH with an uneven TV? I suppose this would be a problem with both my driveway and reconnecting my TT on anything that is not a concrete pad while camping.

Whatcha think? Should I be worried or overthinking?
Old 03-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #2
CAG

What is a WDH? May be obvious but not to me.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What is a WDH? May be obvious but not to me.
Weight Distributing Hitch?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #4

sorry yes, a weight distribution hitch.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #5

Better question what brand and model WDH?

To setup the WDH you need to do it on a flat and fairly level surface. All wheels need to be on the same plane.

As for going off road. I guess it really depends how off road you are talking about. I have taken my HTT on a lot of gravel roads, that I would be comfortable taking a two wheel drive on. Some of those roads have been fairly rough, rutted, wash boarded, etc. I have parked my TT, in spots that I had to be in 4 wheel drive to get to into the spot. Never been an issue. I tend to drive slower for the conditions.

If I was going to do more of the overlander style traveling with a TT, then I would want as much articulation as possible, and the WDH bars would be disconnected.

So far, I have never taken the bars off on any road I have travelled on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #6

Your 2nd question is easier. Its best to hook up to trailer, not use the WD, and travel to a level/near level area and WD there. Slight unlevel ok, but more severe not. Refer back to @Jagiven response.

The 1st question depends on the unevenness and extreme turning of what you are encountering, as well as how much "squat" you are without the WD. Approach and decent angle is important. I would think most forest service/BLM type ROADS would be ok. But when it becomes more "off road" or the road itself becomes off-road; then you may want to remove the WD. Again, if you have the squat clearance. You have much more articulation without WD. It doesnt hurt anything to travel off highway without the WD.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:49 AM   #7

Have the same type problem with my driveway, top is level but then a pretty good slope. I just pull the WDH bars on the street before I back the trailer in. When I pull out, I don't hook up the WDH bars until I am on the street and level. Makes the process easier.

As far as the service roads, if your combination is heavy enough to need a WDH setup I would think you would want it connected while on those uneven bumpy roads. If not wouldn't you be really overloading your hitch/rear suspension without them?

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #8

thanks all for the replies. They make sense. I guess I have the WDH more for the added sway control than anything else. It's an andersen. My setup is pretty light (around 4300 loaded. tongue weight is probably 450 but need to weigh when I get out again) but it is a big sail behind the TV lol.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Have the same type problem with my driveway, top is level but then a pretty good slope. I just pull the WDH bars on the street before I back the trailer in. When I pull out, I don't hook up the WDH bars until I am on the street and level. Makes the process easier.

As far as the service roads, if your combination is heavy enough to need a WDH setup I would think you would want it connected while on those uneven bumpy roads. If not wouldn't you be really overloading your hitch/rear suspension without them?
I un/hookup in my driveway where the TT rests between trips. But there is no way I could ever configure a WDH while in my driveway. When I am disconnected, and have the TT level, the nose of the TT, is as far down as the tongue jack can go. When I un/hook up I have the tongue jack up as high as it will go. No way to configure a hitch properly in this situation.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmipshmop View Post
thanks all for the replies. They make sense. I guess I have the WDH more for the added sway control than anything else. It's an andersen. My setup is pretty light (around 4300 loaded. tongue weight is probably 450 but need to weigh when I get out again) but it is a big sail behind the TV lol.

We hook up by the garage but the truck and trailer aren't in alignment so the Andersen WDH part has to wait till we pull into the road and then we hitch it up. Traffic on our road is one car a day so that isn't an issue.
Our trailer is just a little heavier than yours. We took it to the backwoods of Maine last summer. 70 miles of rutted holed logging roads and it was not an issue. We have 4WD but did not have to use it. We also have a high clearance truck and that is mandatory. But while its dirt gravel and the occasional wooden bridge ( with spikes that can poke through which always concerns me) we were still on a road.

Now were we to do that Chaco Canyon road from the north with the max speed of 5 mph I have no idea if we would need to take the WDH off. But with the logging roads at 14 mph max we are fine.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #11

I have used my WDH on some bumpy stuff, basically use common sense. In fact every camping trip we have done has included at least one dirt road. The way I look at it (fare warning, I may be wrong) if you can backup with your WDH (some cannot) then you would prob be find in most cases. I have gone over/through some areas (small/short) that required 4x4 to get into a spot and no issues at all.

If you are getting on some twisty stuff and 4x4 needed I would take the bars off just so the trailer can be more free and reduce strain on the chassis etc... But remember your Baja is not one of those small Jeep 4x4 trailers either so be aware of that!
Old 03-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #12

no wdh
https://www.wmur.com/amp/article/mud...shire/39487416

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmipshmop View Post
I guess I have the WDH more for the added sway control than anything else.

Thats exactly right. WDH main purpose is for more stability on the highway. Lessor degree to support a squat rear end.

It was once explained to me by holding your shoulders rigid and sticking out your arms and clasp your hands together, then a person standing in front of you grasps your extended hands and swings them around; easily rotated. Then the person in front grasps your rigid shoulders and rotates; not as easily rotated.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #14
EJH

I suggest removing the WDH bars when you are on dirt/gravel. Otherwise you risk putting too much strain on your TV or TT frame.

Do a search, but frame damage is usually denied by warranties if they find out there was a WDH connected on uneven roads.

My driveway is also sloped. I install or remove the WDH bars on the street, as many above have mentioned. I will not back up my driveway with the bars installed.

I've driven around locally without the WDH bars fine at speeds under 40-50 mph too.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #15

With the Anderson WDH there are no bars just chains. So much easier to hook up, no problems with backing, tight corners or uneven roads. One of the roads Kim was referring to has some significant potholes, ditches, etc. which make for a lot of twisting at the hitch. We had no problem getting through.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:46 PM   #16
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeengrjim View Post
With the Anderson WDH there are no bars just chains. So much easier to hook up, no problems with backing, tight corners or uneven roads. One of the roads Kim was referring to has some significant potholes, ditches, etc. which make for a lot of twisting at the hitch. We had no problem getting through.
I see the appeal of the Anderson.
My question: since you tighten a bolt to apply tension to the chains, how do you get it the same each time you hitch up? With a bar WDH, once you set it up, it is always exactly the same every time you connect the bars.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #17

With my combo of a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 195RB (19.5 feet/3,500 lbs.) attachment of the Andersen is a snap. I back up till under the ball, drop down with my air ride or the tongue jack and hitch up. Raise the trailer with the tongue jack and attach the triangle plate. Drop the tongue with the tongue jack and pull it up. I don't have to tighten/loosen chains unless I am parked on odd angles or very non flat areas.

My drive has a few degrees slope, 1 foot over 45 or so and I just hitch up with the tongue jack and go.
I did set up the first time in a flat parking lot then "dialed in" the amount of weight distribution I needed.

I got a great extending 1/2 inch socket wrench from Harbor Freight, about $19, that really makes chain adjustments easy when I do make them.
PS Andersen is a great company that has very good customer service!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #18

As RogerR said, with the Anderson once the chains are adjusted there is no need to readjust every time you hook up. However, if you try to hook up at a different angle than when you unhooked then you may need to loosen the chains and readjust after you hookup.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #19

Here is a hint. If I back up and the triangle plate won't go on due to angle I just hook it to a bungee cord and pull up somewhere straight enough to put on the plate.
Easier than loosening and then tightening the big nuts.

Once you get your setup tuned in just count the threads showing. I go with 6 1/2 threads after some use.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeengrjim View Post
Interesting that there was a lot of problems rehooking the Anderson based on angles in the past on off road or when truck and trailer were at different heights. Even some you tube videos on how to make it easier to connect . That may have been back when the sway reducing plate was a triangle.
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote