Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

WDH discussion SLX 175 RD

Good as new 2019 SLX 175 RD towed by 2015 Tacoma DCSB with Tow.

Again, I am a novice, so I would like some of the current thoughts on this. I have read and researched but would like to hear from some impartial experts.

I couldn’t find any of them so I am asking you guys.

With my TV, I am already on the margins of my comfort level, so I want to get the WDH right. The PO also towed with a Tacoma and used a Husky, which they are keeping. A dealer wanted to sell me a Fastway E2 for this set up. I assume 6000/600 is the right specifications. I independently researched and found that yes, this probably was a good set up for my application, and was going to order one.

But in my research, I also read about the Equalizer 4 point system, and almost universal praise. However, I note many equalizer users are frankly towing four times the weight. It may be overkill that I simply don’t need to pay for.

As I said above, I want to get it right, but also don’t want to over buy. Is an Equal-i-zer warranted? Is 600/6000 the right spec I should be looking at?

Total Cargo will be as light as possible, but WILL include 2 passengers, Fuel, one Full cooler, a TBD but 50 lbs-ish Inv/Gen, and sparse personal effects.
Published Trailer Specs, such as they are Dry 2,860 lbs. Payload 890 lbs. GVWR 3,750 lbs. Tongue 335 lbs.
Published TV specs: 6500 Tow 1140 VCW.

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...ontrol-hitch-1

Thoughts?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

There is nothing wrong with either of those hitches and the Equalizer gets a lot of well deserved praise on this forum. One more to consider is the Andersen No Sway hitch. There are quite a few of us here that use them and have had great luck with them.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #3

Fastway and Equalizer are the same company. The hitches are actually the same, but the Fastway is 2 point and the Equalizer is 4 point. In other words the E2 has two points of sway control, the E4 has 4 points of sway control.

I have a Fastway E2 which recently replaced an older trunnion bar system with chains that I could no longer upgrade the bars. My trailer is about 1000# heavier than yours. So far I'm very happy with this hitch. The one in the link is the one I have. Note it's for 400-800# tongue weights. It was recommended by Etrailer for my application.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...2-00-0800.html

That said if you do get the 600# hitch and get a bigger trailer later you can simply buy higher rated bars for it later.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

Thanks Doc. Yes, I was aware they were the same company, different levels (and prices!).

I have no problem buying the 600/6000 E2, as long as it won't cause issues being 'over specced'. Some things I read mentioned that, undue stress on the trailer frame or something, but it still seems like the right fitment.

If there are no performance concerns, I really am leaning toward$ the E2 as the dealer here roles a lot of them out the door(not always a good reason of course), they are affordable, and should get the job done...
Old 06-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #5

I have had both bar and chain and the Andersen hitch. Great sway control, very easy on and off, great customer service and lighter in weight. Installation is simple do it yourself, adjustments are simple and unlike bar type the Andersen can't "get away" from you when putting it on and off like my old bar type.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I have had both bar and chain and the Andersen hitch. Great sway control, very easy on and off, great customer service and lighter in weight. Installation is simple do it yourself, adjustments are simple and unlike bar type the Andersen can't "get away" from you when putting it on and off like my old bar type.
Darnit, now I have to re consider the Andersen.

It's funny, i passed over Andersen in initial research based on pictures alone...the solution does not look robust, almost like it isn't doing anything for forward weight management.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Darnit, now I have to re consider the Andersen.

It's funny, i passed over Andersen in initial research based on pictures alone...the solution does not look robust, almost like it isn't doing anything for forward weight management.
That was the problem that turned me off after using the Andersen for a couple of years. With your rig, you may be okay. You can't beat the Andersen for ease of use.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #8

My dealer put my Andersen hitch on wrong.

After pulling out of the lot and driving a few miles I pulled over and tightened them a bit. My steering went from a floating feeling to better. Stopped again and add another turn. And my steering was great even in strong stops and fast speeds. Didn't weight the axel but I could feel the benefit. Later I had to drill a hole for the anchor screws as they move. Several thousand miles with Washington, DC, Niagara Falls, several Rocky Mountain campgrounds and the roads in between and steering and car braking is positive. NO SWAY EVER!

Old 06-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Thanks Guys, I have some thinking to do. In addition to sway, I really am concerned about porpoising. There are some very specific spots in many of my travel paths that really would be an issue with that, beyond just normal travel.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #10

The Andersen puts a lot of tension on the ball causing friction. This may be why I have never experienced porpoising like I did when towing my old haul trailer for my tractor or my old boat trailer.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
I really am leaning toward$ the E2 as the dealer here roles a lot of them out the door(not always a good reason of course), they are affordable, and should get the job done...
Etrailer told me it's one of their most popular WDHs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #12

I have the same setup: 2017 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB with a 2015 185RB that comes in loaded around ~3,500 lb. I have the Fastway e2-6000. I like how it performs. It's designed for up to 600 lb of tongue weight which is nearly twice what my trailer is. Here's a review:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B0071L3T3G

I've had some problems with the link plates wanting to bend too much during installation almost as if the metal is too soft. Fastway customer service is sending me some thicker plates to try out. Other than that bug, I love the setup.

I suppose my final opinion is that it installs just fine out of the box. I towed for 4,000 miles through the winter without a problem. But I've made some little improvements to it over the last month or so to suit my pickiness: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post858856
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #13

After all the helpful replies and some consideration, I am going with the Fastway e2-600/6000 ball. Should be able to get it installed this week, I will report back for those interested.