Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Can I use a wireless EBC with an SLX 175 rdw ...

As a novice, I apologize in advance for this question and the similar ones that will come in the next few weeks (... days ... minutes).

I will be trying to slowly tow a 2019 SLX 175 RDW Baja behind a 2015 Tacoma/Tow Pkg.

This question is, for my electric brake controller, can I use one of the more recent universal wireless EBC, such as the CURT 51180 or the Prodigy 90250 Prodigy?

To be clear, I am not really asking which is best, or whether they are better than a wired EBC, I just really want to make sure this is a proper use and application for them while I research which I might use.

For context ... I asked a salesman who otherwise seemed knowledgeable about trailering, about wireless EBCs ... and got a puzzled look, like nobody would use a wireless EBC.

Thanks for all the help.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #2

It doesn't make any difference which trailer you have the tow vehicle could be the problem.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Not even knowing there was such an animal as a wireless EBC, I proceeded with a Google search. Leave it to Youtube to have an answer.

It appears to work fairly well and I would trust a Prodigy product.

(The trailer module looks like a small suitcase!)

Your opinions may vary,

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It doesn't make any difference which trailer you have the tow vehicle could be the problem.
Can you be more clear?

I am inferring you think the Tacoma that I described (2015 DCSB 4x4 with Tow) is under sized, but can't be sure. While it is not ideal, in present configuration it is rated for 6500 GVWR. I hope to not exceed much past half of that. It is obviously configured with a 7 pin connector and class IV hitch, and will have a WDH added.

Can you help me understand your concern?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Not even knowing there was such an animal as a wireless EBC, I proceeded with a Google search. Leave it to Youtube to have an answer.

It appears to work fairly well and I would trust a Prodigy product.

(The trailer module looks like a small suitcase!)

Your opinions may vary,

Murff
Right! so that is sort of my point.

Why doesn't everybody needing an aftermarket solution use a wireless EBC? Why don't the experts discuss it much? I'd prefer not to add any additional wiring or knee knockers to my truck, and Prodigy, a respected name, has had this product on market for 5 years now. What am I missing?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post

Why doesn't everybody needing an aftermarket solution use a wireless EBC? Why don't the experts discuss it much? I'd prefer not to add any additional wiring or knee knockers to my truck, and Prodigy, a respected name, has had this product on market for 5 years now. What am I missing?
The wireless brake controller is an expensive solution for a problem that the vast majority of the towing public doesn't have. Nearly all modern vehicles that are factory equipped with a towing package include trailer wiring provisions for the easy installation of an aftermarket brake controller or is factory equipped with one. Top tier wired brake controllers such as the Prodigy P3 with the correct pigtail for direct wiring to your Tacoma lists for a little over $200 where the Tekonsha wireless runs $375 or so.

We are not saying that there is anything wrong with the wireless. However, it seems to be a complicated and expensive solution to a very common and reliable wired component.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Can you be more clear?

I am inferring you think the Tacoma that I described (2015 DCSB 4x4 with Tow) is under sized, but can't be sure. While it is not ideal, in present configuration it is rated for 6500 GVWR. I hope to not exceed much past half of that. It is obviously configured with a 7 pin connector and class IV hitch, and will have a WDH added.

Can you help me understand your concern?
You need to see if it's compatible with your vehicle electronics. Many gadgets don't work with every car or the car's wiring.... That's all
Old 05-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
You need to see if it's compatible with your vehicle electronics. Many gadgets don't work with every car or the car's wiring.... That's all
Oh.

Thats the "wireless" part. It doesn't have anything to do with the cars wiring.

The point of the wireless EBC is that it is vehicle agnostic. In fact, in the case of multiple TV, one could move the transmitter to each TV as needed, although they should go through the pairing each time to set gain, etc.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh.

Thats the "wireless" part. It doesn't have anything to do with the cars wiring.

The point of the wireless EBC is that it is vehicle agnostic. In fact, in the case of multiple TV, one could move the transmitter to each TV as needed, although they should go through the pairing each time to set gain, etc.
It has to get power from someplace in the car to activate the brakes.. They are 12 volt.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
The wireless brake controller is an expensive solution for a problem that the vast majority of the towing public doesn't have. Nearly all modern vehicles that are factory equipped with a towing package include trailer wiring provisions for the easy installation of an aftermarket brake controller or is factory equipped with one. Top tier wired brake controllers such as the Prodigy P3 with the correct pigtail for direct wiring to your Tacoma lists for a little over $200 where the Tekonsha wireless runs $375 or so.

We are not saying that there is anything wrong with the wireless. However, it seems to be a complicated and expensive solution to a very common and reliable wired component.
Got it. My TV is prewired for an EBC right under the column like most modern tow package trucks. Doesn't mean I want an EBC drilled in to the dash or banging my knees. I think the EBC is intended to avoid those issues, as much as avoiding the need to run wires. That's the problem it is trying to solve, I think, along with portability.

I do get that they are, it looks like, a 40% premium on cost. It's a consideration. But as a % of the rig set up ... may be small.

The world is becoming increasingly wireless. It was not long ago that the thought of wireless internet or wireless speakers or contactless payments were novel. It is of course now the norm. I am surprised that this niche is still lagging in adoption.

Frankly, I wish Curt had a better reputation in general. Their solution is downright simple.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
It has to get power from someplace in the car to activate the brakes.. They are 12 volt.
Sure. The brake controller is powered from the 7 pin connector that it is plugged in to, yes.

The in cab component could be your phone (Curt) or a 12 volt acc cord (Prodigy). These of course are bluetooth to the controller.

Both systems continue to work under existing settings if the BT signal is lost.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post

Thanks for the input.

Question on the WIRED Tekonshas. What's the practical difference between the P3 and the Primus IQ? Ease of use because of additional buttons and display?
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Question on the WIRED Tekonshas. What's the practical difference between the P3 and the Primus IQ? Ease of use because of additional buttons and display?
That basically describes it. The P3 offers the digital display, ability to store info and settings for multiple trailers, drivers, offers gain reduction while stopped, etc. I have one in my van and though very nice, it has more features than I would ever use. I have basically set it from the beginning and do minor gain adjustments.

My personal favorite controller on the market is the Tekonsha Voyager, which is actually lower on the ladder than the Primus. I have one in two of our trucks. The one in my '07 has now been in 3 different trucks and has hundreds of thousands of towing miles on it. It just plain stops the trailer with no mess, no fuss, and no fancy settings.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:

I used the P3 for years. It was never a knee knocker as there was plenty of room under my dash to install. The install was clean without any wires stretched across the dash or hanging down. But I had a Ford F150 with an easy plug and play wire harness to attach to. My new TV has the BC built in.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #15

I had to make the wired vs. wireless decisions, too, this year. I decided on wired because:
  1. The existing wired harness is already there.
  2. I don't have full confidence with wireless connectivity when it comes to braking (lack of personal experience and information from other users).
  3. I didn't want the requirement for a separate wireless device (phone or wireless controller) every time I used the EBC. I wanted everything to just be there in the truck.

Do you have that little change cubby to the left of the steering wheel on your 2015 Taco? If you aren't opposed to a little fabbing, the Curt Spectrum installs & looks like OEM: Curt Spectrum Brake Controller in 2017 Toyota Tacoma

The Redarc is pretty slick, too.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I had to make the wired vs. wireless decisions, too, this year. I decided on wired because:
  1. The existing wired harness is already there.
  2. I don't have full confidence with wireless connectivity when it comes to braking (lack of personal experience and information from other users).
  3. I didn't want the requirement for a separate wireless device (phone or wireless controller) every time I used the EBC. I wanted everything to just be there in the truck.

Do you have that little change cubby to the left of the steering wheel on your 2015 Taco? If you aren't opposed to a little fabbing, the Curt Spectrum installs & looks like OEM: Curt Spectrum Brake Controller in 2017 Toyota Tacoma

The Redarc is pretty slick, too.

The gentleman I bought this TT from had the Spectrum on his 3rd generation Taco, just like yours.

I went ahead and ordered a P3. It arrived today, and I will install tomorrow. I felt like I could not pass up a top notch device that only cost me $123.

Down the line I might try that Curt Wireless one just for fun. It seems so obvious that it is what the future of EBC would look like.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #17

If you're looking for mounting inspiration, this thread helped me: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...roller.398124/
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote