Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

What’s under this cover?

Here’s a picture. 2018 23RL JayFeather
Attached Thumbnails
D5A87E8B-DB6D-4F66-BDCA-C1ABEB53D8F4.jpg  
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

A grease fitting is directly behind the cover.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Does this mean that I can “refresh” the bearing grease with a grease gun and the proper grease? The trailer has ,at most, 2K on it. We plan to put about 5K on it this summer.
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyouberg View Post
Does this mean that I can “refresh” the bearing grease with a grease gun and the proper grease? The trailer has ,at most, 2K on it. We plan to put about 5K on it this summer.
Some kinds of grease mix and others do not. I would not risk it. I would repack the bearings and clean out all the old grease. Than you know what you have in the bearings, just make sure you use the same grease all the time. Than I would just fill the fittings at the recommended intervals.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #5

Grease just doesn't disappear. If you go pumping grease in there you will blow out your rear seal and then have a mess on your brakes. The proper way is to jack it up, turn tire and pump it in slow. You would need to know what kind of grease is in there an use the same kind. I never lube mine. I replace bearings and seals about every 12,000 miles.this may not be the best way it's just the way I do it.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

According to the Jayco owner's manual for your coach you have Dexter axles. The link below specifies, on page 50, which lubricants are acceptable. Choose your own poison, but I wouldn't use cheap grease, it's not money well spent in the long run.

https://www.dexterpartsonline.com/fi...e%20Manual.pdf
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyouberg View Post
Check the Dexter axle manual that should have come with your trailer. If these are EZ-Lube bearings then you can "repack" the bearings by pumping in new grease using a grease gun, which in turn forces out the old grease out around the front (have rags ready as this will get messy). When you see the new grease being expelled, then you are good to go. If you only have 2K on the bearings you are probably okay with just pumping in enough of the correct type of grease until you see some of the existing grease being pushed out. This ensures you have sufficient grease in the bearings. I replace my grease using this method every 5K miles, but I suggest doing what your manual states. IMO the EZ-Lube bearings are great to have, assuming that's the kind you have on your rig, and from the picture you posted it looks like you do, but your manual will say.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote