Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Adding an electrical outlet

I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Feather SLX16XRB, and would like to add an electrical outlet in the wall by the table area. The wife and I usually use the table more for a counter for the toaster, or coffee maker. I've been using an extension cord and plugging that into the outlet by the back bunk area, but wondered why an outlet was not placed by the table? is it because there is not enough space in the inner wall, meaning an outlet box would not fit between the inner wall and the outer campers "skin"?

Smaking the wire from the bunk outlet to the table wall could be done (I'm guessing) with a snake, but if the walls are too thin, then I'll just stick with the extension cord I guess.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #2

I don't think you really need to mount the outlet on or in the back wall. If it were mine I would mount the outlet below the seat where your leg would be. It would be an easy location to get at and it could be recessed so you only show the cover plate just like you have in your house.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

I am not familiar with your particular TT. But in general the walls are very thin, I have not measured, but I would guess only an 1” thick. You would have to use a shallow box, short stubs of wire and typical outlet. It would be a lot of work to route the wire up the fragile wall then get it all assembled. I would agree, if there is room down by the base of the table area, where the utilities run though, you would have a lot more room to work with.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Just don't advertise it to the dealer that you have done the modification.. This is from the tow-able warranty paperwork

By way of example only, this limited warranty does not cover any of the following: defects in materials, components or parts of the RV not attributable to Jayco; items that are added or changed after the RV leaves the possession of Jayco;"

although.. it does not specifically state that a modification will void the warranty, any items the the repair shop deems damaged due to the modification will not be covered (say, if the converter blows up, kills the AC/Fridge/Microwave and the repair shop is "over zealous" they can say that due to your mod, the replacement/repair is not covered).

Just be careful.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses! The seat box idea is indeed a better solution for ease of installing.

My next question: can I simply wire this new electrical box from an existing outlet ("jump" it off of an existing outlet), or does it need it's own connection to the main power distribution box (where the fuses/breaker is)?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

Your fuse panel box might have( mine does) an extra slot or two for additional circuits to be run. I would not come off the AC circuit . If you needed a slightly larger fuse panel for your 30amp service Lowes or Home Depot should have one. You might be able to come off the GFCI in the bathroom outlet.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

don't expect to tap into any of the existing ROMEX wiring. I never found any slack in my wiring anywhere. They also use the press on back type 120VAC receptacles which pinches the wiring. One those wires get pinched they are very easy to break into when moving around the romex. You won't find screw terminals type receptacles anywhere in the trailers.

I have installed several additional house type receptacles in my trailers. Choing the inside of a cabinet or storage area is what I used.

I mounted one of those BLUE Electrical receptable boxes first from LOWES and then mounted a regular 120VAC PUG inside the blue box... Then I would run some ROMEX around the inside of the cabinets to the 120VAC Power Distribution panel. Lowes will have all you need.

Once you cut the hole in the cabinet for these boxes just slip into the hole and tighten down with the screw tabs shown here. Be sure you hook up all three wires to meet code and be safe. Black-White-Green

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybraddy View Post
don't expect to tap into any of the existing romex wiring. I never found any slack in my wiring anywhere. They also use the press on back type 120vac receptacles which pinches the wiring. One those wires get pinched they are very easy to break into when moving around the romex. You won't find screw terminals type receptacles anywhere in the trailers.

I have installed several additional house type receptacles in my trailers. Choing the inside of a cabinet or storage area is what i used.

I mounted one of those blue electrical receptable boxes first from lowes and then mounted a regular 120vac pug inside the blue box... Then i would run some romex around the inside of the cabinets to the 120vac power distribution panel. Lowes will have all you need.

once you cut the hole in the cabinet for these boxes just slip into the hole and tighten down with the screw tabs shown here. Be sure you hook up all three wires to meet code and be safe. Black-white-green

roy ken
bingo!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #9

^^ I've used these types of electrical boxes as well, and plan to use the same when I install it in the seat box by the table. My concern now is how I will get the ROMEX wiring you mention from this location to the power distribution panel. It's located towards the front bonk (my camber is a hybrid). So, getting to it would require me running the wire along the right wall (cabinet, then shower/bathroom). This may not be a possibility. Here's a pic of my layout:

So, the outlet I want to add would be to the left or right of the "dinette" table (planned to place it at the right side foot well area, as there is an existing outlet along the wall of the "front bed" lower wall I was going to tap into). If I would be required to run it to the power distribution panel, thats located at the floor area of the "rear bed" area.

I've found "Wirecon" type outlets, an easy self contained way to install the electrical outlet itself, but now my problem seems to be if I can "tap" off an existing outlet easily without the use of a junction box.
Is it assumed that all existing 120 VAC outlets are protected off of the one breaker I have?
Old 12-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Team

I have put a good many in RV's in years past. I just extend it from the nearest receptacle.
I even put a Ac wall lamp in by fishing the Romeo up the wall thru the foam insulation.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote