Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Our surge protector has caught faulty campground wiring on a couple of occasions. We do not leave home without it.

I am planning on installing a permanent EMS in the future but that is about middle of the mod priority list right now.
The problem with installing permanent ems is you have to plug in rv to verify clean power. Portable you can check power pole before you park
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
The problem with installing permanent ems is you have to plug in rv to verify clean power. Portable you can check power pole before you park
Around here, parks are full most weekends, so you need reservations. No weekend camping on a whim. You simply cannot swap out sites if the power is bad. So what do you do then?

I do have a surge protector that I used on my old popup. I've thought about getting an EMS, but have not yet because I don't have an answer for my question above. No one from the campground is going to fix the power pole in my site on a Friday night.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Around here, parks are full most weekends, so you need reservations. No weekend camping on a whim. You simply cannot swap out sites if the power is bad. So what do you do then?

I do have a surge protector that I used on my old popup. I've thought about getting an EMS, but have not yet because I don't have an answer for my question above. No one from the campground is going to fix the power pole in my site on a Friday night.
I've had problems (low voltage) twice over the last 12 months and the CG sent someone out within a half hour. One was in a county park after the office was closed. They know the seriousness of electrical problems.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post

So you stop in the campground road, get out your portable EMS walk to the pedestal, wait for the EMS to read the power, and if the power is good then you park. M
Meanwhile you are blocking other traffic wanting to go by. If there is an issue with the power at the pedestal do you just drive home?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
So you stop in the campground road, get out your portable EMS walk to the pedestal, wait for the EMS to read the power, and if the power is good then you park. M
Meanwhile you are blocking other traffic wanting to go by. If there is an issue with the power at the pedestal do you just drive home?
Of course, because that 15 seconds it take for the EMS to power up, backs up many other campers trying to get by.

And, no one has ever stopped in front of a campsite, gotten out and surveyed the site, before backing in?

Being an experienced electrician, you don't think it's a good idea to plug in a portable EMS and test the pedestal, before plugging the actual rig into it, and possibly frying something?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Seems to me it’s better to find out there is a problem and go somewhere else or use batteries, than it is to not know and fry my rig.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Of course, because that 15 seconds it take for the EMS to power up, backs up many other campers trying to get by.

And, no one has ever stopped in front of a campsite, gotten out and surveyed the site, before backing in?

Being an experienced electrician, you don't think it's a good idea to plug in a portable EMS and test the pedestal, before plugging the actual rig into it, and possibly frying something?
I have a hard wired EMS With remote display and it has a 120 second delay to evaluate power and then close the circuit. As an experienced back packer, camper and RV’er I don’t think it’s to polite to block the trail or road. There have been times I could have written a novel in the time it takes some RVers to get the hell out of the road.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Seems to me it’s better to find out there is a problem and go somewhere else or use batteries, than it is to not know and fry my rig.
There’s a thing called a multimeter you can use to check pedestal power before plugging in.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I have a hard wired EMS With remote display and it has a 120 second delay to evaluate power and then close the circuit.
I have a Progressive portable EMS. Within seconds of flipping on the breaker, I get voltage, hertz, amps and error codes. Then, 124 seconds later, the relay closes to send current to whatever is plugged in.

Quote:
There have been times I could have written a novel in the time it takes some RVers to get the hell out of the road.
So, that would be longer than 124 seconds?

Quote:
There’s a thing called a multimeter you can use to check pedestal power before plugging in.
A multimeter will only give you a voltage readout. It's not going to give you frequency, amps, or any other data or error codes like this that a EMS provides:

You said you are an electrician and have a EMS. Doesn't your hardwired EMS do this, and provide this level of data?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #30

You like being confrontational don’t you? I don’t have the time or the inclination to debate you at this time. I actually have to get up at 4:30 in the morning and travel into Seattle where I’m a General Foreman working on a 44 story high rise. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #31

ABSOLUTELY, Not a surge protector BUT AN EMS!

Read these post and READ # 10.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-48571.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You like being confrontational don’t you?
No, I like to be accurate and helpful to everyone reading here and looking for information, as much as possible.

For you, as an experienced electrician (that you've told us, over and over) to tell someone to use a multimeter to check the status of a pedestal, when it's known that a EMS provides so much more helpful data and information, is just really careless and inaccurate.

I'd hate to see your suggestions hurt someone, or even worse, kill them.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #33

Since when is using a multimeter dangerous? It’s not. And as far as information goes at a pedestal voltage is paramount, amperage doesn’t exist until a load is applied and frequency’s.. really American utilities all produce 60hz. Find another argument.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #34
Site Team

thread closed

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Closed Thread