Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Whitby Ontario
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Our surge protector has caught faulty campground wiring on a couple of occasions. We do not leave home without it.

I am planning on installing a permanent EMS in the future but that is about middle of the mod priority list right now.
The problem with installing permanent ems is you have to plug in rv to verify clean power. Portable you can check power pole before you park
billcf7 is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurnee, IL
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
The problem with installing permanent ems is you have to plug in rv to verify clean power. Portable you can check power pole before you park
Around here, parks are full most weekends, so you need reservations. No weekend camping on a whim. You simply cannot swap out sites if the power is bad. So what do you do then?

I do have a surge protector that I used on my old popup. I've thought about getting an EMS, but have not yet because I don't have an answer for my question above. No one from the campground is going to fix the power pole in my site on a Friday night.
__________________
Scott, DW, and Identical Twin DS (12)

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Natalbany Creek Campground, Amite City, LA
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Around here, parks are full most weekends, so you need reservations. No weekend camping on a whim. You simply cannot swap out sites if the power is bad. So what do you do then?

I do have a surge protector that I used on my old popup. I've thought about getting an EMS, but have not yet because I don't have an answer for my question above. No one from the campground is going to fix the power pole in my site on a Friday night.
I've had problems (low voltage) twice over the last 12 months and the CG sent someone out within a half hour. One was in a county park after the office was closed. They know the seriousness of electrical problems.
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Vicr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fortuna Foothills
Posts: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
The problem with installing permanent ems is you have to plug in rv to verify clean power. Portable you can check power pole before you park

So you stop in the campground road, get out your portable EMS walk to the pedestal, wait for the EMS to read the power, and if the power is good then you park. M
Meanwhile you are blocking other traffic wanting to go by. If there is an issue with the power at the pedestal do you just drive home?
Vicr is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
So you stop in the campground road, get out your portable EMS walk to the pedestal, wait for the EMS to read the power, and if the power is good then you park. M
Meanwhile you are blocking other traffic wanting to go by. If there is an issue with the power at the pedestal do you just drive home?
Of course, because that 15 seconds it take for the EMS to power up, backs up many other campers trying to get by.

And, no one has ever stopped in front of a campsite, gotten out and surveyed the site, before backing in?

Being an experienced electrician, you don't think it's a good idea to plug in a portable EMS and test the pedestal, before plugging the actual rig into it, and possibly frying something?
RetiredOne is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
LuckyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Around here, parks are full most weekends, so you need reservations. No weekend camping on a whim. You simply cannot swap out sites if the power is bad. So what do you do then?

I do have a surge protector that I used on my old popup. I've thought about getting an EMS, but have not yet because I don't have an answer for my question above. No one from the campground is going to fix the power pole in my site on a Friday night.
Seems to me itís better to find out there is a problem and go somewhere else or use batteries, than it is to not know and fry my rig.
__________________
2018 JayFlight SLX 212QBW
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat SC, 7.3L PSD, 3.73
Transfer Flow 50 gal aux; Andersen WDH; Prodigy P2
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Vicr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fortuna Foothills
Posts: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Of course, because that 15 seconds it take for the EMS to power up, backs up many other campers trying to get by.

And, no one has ever stopped in front of a campsite, gotten out and surveyed the site, before backing in?

Being an experienced electrician, you don't think it's a good idea to plug in a portable EMS and test the pedestal, before plugging the actual rig into it, and possibly frying something?
I have a hard wired EMS With remote display and it has a 120 second delay to evaluate power and then close the circuit. As an experienced back packer, camper and RVíer I donít think itís to polite to block the trail or road. There have been times I could have written a novel in the time it takes some RVers to get the hell out of the road.
Vicr is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Vicr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fortuna Foothills
Posts: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Seems to me itís better to find out there is a problem and go somewhere else or use batteries, than it is to not know and fry my rig.
Thereís a thing called a multimeter you can use to check pedestal power before plugging in.
Vicr is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I have a hard wired EMS With remote display and it has a 120 second delay to evaluate power and then close the circuit.
I have a Progressive portable EMS. Within seconds of flipping on the breaker, I get voltage, hertz, amps and error codes. Then, 124 seconds later, the relay closes to send current to whatever is plugged in.

Quote:
There have been times I could have written a novel in the time it takes some RVers to get the hell out of the road.
So, that would be longer than 124 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
There’s a thing called a multimeter you can use to check pedestal power before plugging in.
A multimeter will only give you a voltage readout. It's not going to give you frequency, amps, or any other data or error codes like this that a EMS provides:


You said you are an electrician and have a EMS. Doesn't your hardwired EMS do this, and provide this level of data?
RetiredOne is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Vicr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fortuna Foothills
Posts: 1,862
You like being confrontational don’t you? I don’t have the time or the inclination to debate you at this time. I actually have to get up at 4:30 in the morning and travel into Seattle where I’m a General Foreman working on a 44 story high rise. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.
Vicr is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
RAurand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,880
ABSOLUTELY, Not a surge protector BUT AN EMS!

Read these post and READ # 10.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-48571.html
__________________

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStartô 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You like being confrontational don’t you?
No, I like to be accurate and helpful to everyone reading here and looking for information, as much as possible.

For you, as an experienced electrician (that you've told us, over and over) to tell someone to use a multimeter to check the status of a pedestal, when it's known that a EMS provides so much more helpful data and information, is just really careless and inaccurate.

I'd hate to see your suggestions hurt someone, or even worse, kill them.
RetiredOne is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Vicr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fortuna Foothills
Posts: 1,862
Since when is using a multimeter dangerous? It’s not. And as far as information goes at a pedestal voltage is paramount, amperage doesn’t exist until a load is applied and frequency’s.. really American utilities all produce 60hz. Find another argument.
Vicr is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #34
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 15,856
thread closed
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.