Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

Battery type? Help plz

Hi, I recently inherited a 2004 Jayco 165 sport, that has been sitting in socal heat for past 7years...That said, it's a great little TT, in excellent condition inside, but outside--both original tires completely rotted out & 12v battery had previously leaked all over front of hitch area where it sits... It was no longer with the TT.

Q#1- what kind of battery do I need to purchase? & What size?
((I'm guessing some type of 12v deep cycle ?? I'm sorry, I know nothing about this.))
*Do I need AGM? Vs marine? ... There is a TT brake that uses the battery. Also, I do not plan on alot of dry (boon?) docking, but would like to be able to use lights etc when pull over for breaks etc.

Q#2- can I just rub foil over the metal parts where the acid leaked and rusted, to remove corrosion?

Q#3- I am assuming I can just have new tires mounted to the current rims, but should I also be concerned about the axle and/or wheel bearings?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated!! I'm hoping to get it out on the road asap
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #2

Morning and welcome to the JOF!

Not sure what group size you have but, I think group 24 or 27 12V deep cycle should be about right. Some members here have tied two 6V's together. AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are very good batteries and last longer in my opinion, but a tad more expensive. I really don't think an AGM battery is necessary, but to each his own.

As far as tires and bearings, you might as well replace the bearings if you're unsure about their condition. It's piece of mind and not really that expensive. If you're handy around the garage, you should definitely be able to do the bearings. Just make sure you pack them with a good bearing grease. Make sure the tires are correct as far as load range. Most likely, the ones on the trailer now are correct so I'd mimic their size and load range.

Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
Q#1- what kind of battery do I need to purchase? & What size?
((I'm guessing some type of 12v deep cycle ?? I'm sorry, I know nothing about this.))
*Do I need AGM? Vs marine? ... There is a TT brake that uses the battery. Also, I do not plan on alot of dry (boon?) docking, but would like to be able to use lights etc when pull over for breaks etc.

Based on your requirements, you do not need an AGM or two 6 volt batteries. A size 24 should fill your needs, but if you want a little more power go with a size 27 battery. Measure your battery box to see what size will fit. Replacing it (if for a size 24 battery) will cost you about $10, but the basic size 24 Interstate Marine/RV battery should do just fine.

Q#2- can I just rub foil over the metal parts where the acid leaked and rusted, to remove corrosion?

There are cleaning sprays that you can purchase... but I have always used baking soda and water solution and have had great long term results. I also follow up the cleaning with a spray terminal protectant. That (in my experience) lasts longer than the RED and GREEN chemical felt washers that go around the battery terminal posts.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Corrode...tery-Terminals

There are many ways to clean the battery connectors here is a common way of doing it. Mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of baking soda with 1 cup (250 ml) of very hot water. Dip an old toothbrush into the mixture and scrub the top of the battery to remove corrosion buildup. You can even dip the ends of the battery cables in hot water to dissolve any corrosion on the cable ends themselves.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Corroded-Car-Battery-Terminals

Q#3- I am assuming I can just have new tires mounted to the current rims, but should I also be concerned about the axle and/or wheel bearings?

As mentioned by TWP729 mentioned replace the wheel bearings and grease them. Also check the brake pads when you do the bearings. You also may want to check out the wires to the brakes to make sure that they are OK.
Good Luck,

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #4

As for a replacement battery, if you are planning to be connected to shore power when camping any old dual purpose marine battery will be fine. The issue you will find with a low capacity battery is battery life when boondocking. In a 7 year old TT you have incandescent batteries throughout the camper. A single incandescent bulb uses about the same amount of power as if you had LED equivalents in every fixture, turned on.

AS for cleaning up the battery, Mustang65's comment is very good; "Mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of baking soda with 1 cup (250 ml) of very hot water. Dip an old toothbrush into the mixture and scrub the top of the battery to remove corrosion buildup. You can even dip the ends of the battery cables in hot water to dissolve any corrosion on the cable ends themselves." I have even poured the solution over really corroded terminals before brushing them clean.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies!!

I will go ahead and get the suggested battery- - 24 Interstate Marine/RV battery, if I understand it correctly, I just need to maintain the amount of distilled water in the battery? ((And yes I do have regular lighting, no LEDs.))

I will also use the baking soda suggestion to clean the battery connectors, but it is where the battery acid leak onto the trailer hitch area, and caused horrible corrosion that I'm more concerned about, however I will try the baking soda there as well and then I will definitely repaint and seal the area as needed.

As far as replacing and repacking the wheel bearings? I must admit, I have no idea where the wheel bearings even are. I will try watching the YouTube videos that are available, and If I have the available tools I will try to attempt it! My biggest concern is getting crushed by the TT...

Question-- should the wheel bearings be replaced / repacked at the time the tires are being changed?
*Current PLAN:
Because both tires are completely destroyed, I will be having my insurance Towing come out and take the tires off for me, I will buy a couple of tires and have them mounted for me, then I will possibly attempt to put them back on myself? If I can't do it, I will call the towing again. (But without 2 new tires the trailer won't be going anywhere.)
*** So I'm just wondering, which would be the order to take care of the wheel bearings?
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote