Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #11

I would be very worried about water damage inside there.. check the cargo bay and see if you can see anything that looks "funny" I bet that is why they want it in there RIGHT NOW.. before damage gets sever.

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I would be very worried about water damage inside there.. check the cargo bay and see if you can see anything that looks "funny" I bet that is why they want it in there RIGHT NOW.. before damage gets sever.
Checking the inside of the cargo area was the second thing I did after I peered into the hole and stuck my finger in to feel for moisture. No discoloration of the underlying wood, and dry-to-the-touch insulation. Very next move was to open the cargo door and check the storage compartment. All was dry and good inside. Then I went back outside and felt along the bottom where the diamond plate is stapled to the bottom of the trailer and felt around, nothing abnormal that I could tell.

Yeah, this could cause a MAJOR problem, any rain coming off the front of the roof and running down the front wall will flow into that hole like a drain. Luckily it isn't supposed to rain, and I store the trailer nose high. I think I may still go over there and duct tape it anyway, we have a few clouds building that don't look too friendly. I would rather have to deal with the Goo Gone taking the wax off than to have water in there... I was planning to wax the trailer soon anyway...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #13

That sucks Bob, I'd tape it too. Better safe than sorry. Keep us posted on the repair.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
That sucks Bob, I'd tape it too. Better safe than sorry. Keep us posted on the repair.
The booger clouds kept getting together, so I went ahead and taped it. I'll sleep better tonight for it. I also felt TERRIBLE wishing that it wouldn't rain, that's like a mortal sin here in the land of drought! Now it can rain and I'll be happy again!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Bob
Update: The dealer told me to bring it in right away and they would fix it "asap". I'll probably take it in tomorrow afternoon.
That's great news Camper Bob! Exactly what you expect with a new unit and good dealer.

Best of luck on this, I'm sure they'll do it right.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #16

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Did a walk around with the tech and explained some other issues. He mentioned that another customer brought one in that was a bit worse than mine. I told him the type of repair I was willing to accept and why, and he agreed with my assessment. My understanding is that they will remove and reposition the panel, and add support under it as needed.

Turn around time is 1-2 weeks, which I'm fine with because with a new baby looming, I won't be able to use the trailer for at least a month anyway, and that's at the VERY earliest... We will see, and I will update after I pick it up...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

I just cant get my head around why they say 1-2 weeks.

Will it take that long before they start or that long to do the entire job?

I wonder what our automotive customers would think if we told them 1-2 weeks when they need repairs
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I just cant get my head around why they say 1-2 weeks.

Will it take that long before they start or that long to do the entire job?

I wonder what our automotive customers would think if we told them 1-2 weeks when they need repairs

Probably just a back log of repairs and time to get approval from Jayco. It's a HUGE dealership, I'm okay with it. I would anticipate the actual repair to take 2 hrs or so... I could do it myself in a half day or less, and that's mostly because I would be learning as I go and probably don't have all the necessary tools. But it's warranty, so whatever.

It's quite a bit different than the automotive world, I don't depend on my TT every day to get me to work so I can keep my job. My TT is a luxury item that in the big scheme of things I use quite rarely. So if I don't have access to it for 2 weeks, oh well, I'm just inconvenienced, no big deal. This same dealer did a repair for me previously on VERY short order to accommodate a trip I had booked, so I hope he's putting me off (not in any hurry, no trips booked) to get other customers whose vacations are on the line back on the road.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #19

Got a call from the dealer this AM, repairs begin today. They are sending pics to Jayco for approval and guidance on the fix, but the tech and I agreed what should be done, so we will see what Jayco says.

I also had a laundry list of other items for them to check (all roof and wall seals, small hole in slide out roof, general inspection...). On top of all that, I asked for a bid on installation of a second courtesy light in the front pass-thru storage. If they're going to have the diamond plate off for repair anyway, the wiring would be a cinch. I just want to mirror the light that's already there on the passenger side because I store all my towing hardware in the driver's side and it would be nice to have another light there. If they come in too high, it's no big deal for me to wire one in, but if they can get a "factory" looking install, I'd be willing to pay a little for that...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #20

Update: I called the dealer the other day, they are waiting on the replacement panel, it will be here Wednesday, should be done shortly after that.

I'm a little concerned that they're replacing the entire panel, but that may be what's needed. I'm going to let them do their job on this one and inspect VERY closely when it's all done...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE