Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2020, 05:15 AM   #1

Did I misunderstand?

I was under the impression that the propane selector switch was automatic in that one tank was used at a time and it would switch over to other tank when that one was empty.

Before our Labor day trip, I had one new full tank and one used (with unknown level). After that trip both tanks are low and about the same.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to replace the switch, or am I wrong about how it works?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Team

You may not have a clear understanding.

If both tanks have propane and are properly turned on, the two stage regulator will use fuel from the tank that is indicated by the switch. The small indicator should show green on that tank and when it becomes less full, it will start to show red in the indicator. Eventually it will switch over internally to the full tank.

Gas should continue to flow through the regulator. When you see the red indicator and the indicator is pointing to the empty tank, you manually operate the switch to the full tank. Then you can remove and refill the empty tank.

If it is not working that way, it could be many things like a bad hose, bad connection, bad regulator or operator error.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #3

Not all are automatic. Mine isn't. I like it that way. I'll never run both tanks out and be left hunting for a refill station. Of course, with that said, I have had to step outside about 3am on a chilly night to flip on the other tank to keep the heater running.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Team

The automatic changeover is inside the regulator assembly. The owner still has to check it and refill the empty one.

Edit: I had inside the tank, What was I thinking?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

I have an auto changeover but I leave one tank closed so when the changeover happens I know I have 1 empty and it's time to refill.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

That's what I thought one used at a time, I have one extra tank at the ready always but didn't expect to need both at once. Going camping this weekend, looks like I'll be changing both at once and doing a manual changeover. Oh well, guess I'll be replacing that by next season.

Oh, Marcm157-normally I would take covers off while at camp so I can see valve & change if needed (Hybrid so tanks are covered while in use)

Thanks for the response everyone.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I was under the impression that the propane selector switch was automatic in that one tank was used at a time and it would switch over to other tank when that one was empty.

Before our Labor day trip, I had one new full tank and one used (with unknown level). After that trip both tanks are low and about the same.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to replace the switch, or am I wrong about how it works?
Could it be that the switch was pointing to the full tank and was half used during your trip leaving you with two used tanks?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Could it be that the switch was pointing to the full tank and was half used during your trip leaving you with two used tanks?
yep. you need to point the handle at the inuse tank. The reg changes over but you must change the handle.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #9

Good question but no, It was pointed at used tank.

When I bought it, one tank was empty. I used that to learn how the pointer worked. Then I looked it up to learn what it was and how it all worked.

So when I came home with two matching low tanks I was a tad surprised.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #10

The arrow on the switch is hard to see since it's black just like the switch. I painted the arrow on mine white. No squinting to see which way it's pointing...........I have very old eyes
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #11

If the arrow is pointing in the middle (in my case, down), I believe the regulator will draw from both tanks at the same time; leaving you with 2 partially used tanks.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #12

With my regulator you have 3 options: Arrow pointing at one tank, arrow in the middle, and arrow pointing at the other tank. When it's pointing at one of your tanks, you'll see a green flag and gas will feed from that tank until it's empty, at which point the regulator will automatically switch to the other tank AND show a red flag. It it's set to the middle, the regulator will draw gas from both tanks equally until both are empty.

My practice is to check the regulator every couple of days. When I see the red flag, it's time to get that tank refilled. No interruption of service at 3 AM. I often see people say they keep the other tank turned off, and then turn it on when their first tank shows empty. Why would you do that, when all you have to do is keep an eye on the regulator at "regular" intervals and take appropriate action??? I don't get it.

Anyway, that's my $.02. Good luck!!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Site Team

I look at mine every few days and if I see RED, it's easy to switch over the manuel indicator and refill the empty tank. Propane use is not a worry except in coldest weather. Some tanks will last me a whole season if it's not cold.
Gator roll-up bed cover