Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Electrical (system AC) Problem

We picked up our new 2022 Greyhawk about a week ago and traveled from the dealer in Ohio to our residence in Florida. Along the way our AC would quit once after being connected to shore power. It worked fine for rest of the stay after being reconnected. It doesn't do it every time - about half the time. I was suspecting a loose connection somewhere in the cable (no breakers, fuses, or overloads involved).

After getting home I set up in the driveway and connected to shore power and had the same result. In order not to disturb the cable, I turned off the breaker (dedicated 30 amp circuit) and turned it back on again. Same results - one shut off and then okay.

The local dealer is not an option for warranty . They won't service a unit they didn't sell. (I use a mobile service when necessary.)

Does anyone have any ideas where to start trouble shooting?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Do you have the dual a/c's? The power management system will possibly cause that if it senses something else looking for power.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

"AC would quit once after being connected to shore power."

Are you saying the a/c is running (perhaps off of generator) when you connect to the shore power or is the a/c off when connecting to shore power and then you turn it on and it quits? That would make a difference. ~CA
Old 09-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do you have the dual a/c's? The power management system will possibly cause that if it senses something else looking for power.
I do have dual a/c's, but have not come close to an amps issue. Also, the power management system is SUPPOSED to turn off an appliance only until their is sufficient amps to return it to operation (something else was turned off). It's designed to keep you at 30 amps or less - not shut you down. That said, I can see how you would think the power management could be the problem. I'll let you know.

BTW, Grumpy, I picked it up at Colerain RV.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
"AC would quit once after being connected to shore power."

Are you saying the a/c is running (perhaps off of generator) when you connect to the shore power or is the a/c off when connecting to shore power and then you turn it on and it quits? That would make a difference. ~CA
... no generator involved. Plugged into outlet on post (tested OK before use) at several different KOA and state park sites. AC worked okay, then quit, then worked okay for rest of stay.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I do have dual a/c's, but have not come close to an amps issue. Also, the power management system is SUPPOSED to turn off an appliance only until their is sufficient amps to return it to operation (something else was turned off). It's designed to keep you at 30 amps or less - not shut you down. That said, I can see how you would think the power management could be the problem. I'll let you know.

BTW, Grumpy, I picked it up at Colerain RV.
But the PMS could still be causing the issue if defective.

I hope your experience at Col RV was as good as mine always was.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But the PMS could still be causing the issue if defective.

I hope your experience at Col RV was as good as mine always was.

Agree, I think the PMS is the most likely component to affect the AC system as a whole. I don't know anything about the PMS, I'm guessing it's software. ... still not ruling out a bad connection somewhere in the circuitry.

We travel 1,018 miles to shop Colerain RV. There a more than a few RV dealers in between. We have bought several there and the experience has always brought us back. In addition to a good deal, they know how to treat people.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
. We have bought several there and the experience has always brought us back. In addition to a good deal, they know how to treat people.
Got ours there starting in 1977...They've grown a little since..