Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2024, 02:21 PM   #1
DRP

Fridge Jumps Breaker in RV only on Generator

I have a 2022 Jayco 5th Wheel. I have a 4500 Watt Westinghouse Pure Sine Wave Inverter Generator.

My issue is that when I am on shore power 30 or 50 amp, I don't have any issues with my fridge jumping the breaker. When I am on Inverter/Battery, I don't have any issue with the fridge jumping the breaker. When I am on generator, the fridge jumps the breaker.

It is not surging and breaking the circuit on the generator, it only does it in the RV. My panel says that my inverter and fridge are on the same 15 amp circuit. I also know that my LCD TV is on the same circuit because when the fridge goes dead, the TV goes dead.

Does anyone have any idea why this is only happening with the generator? Genny is only 1 year old. The fridge is a residential style. The sticker on the fridge says that max wattage on defrost is 435W and the max wattage on the ice maker mode is 7W. The Inverter is a Progressive Dynamics Pure Sine Wave 1800w max. If I turn the cooling off on the fridge, there are no issues with the breaker in the RV while connected to my generator.

Any ideas in basic speak (I am not an electrician) would be welcomed.
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:08 PM   #2

Jumping = Tripping ?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #3
DRP

Not an electrician and I may be using the wrong terms. To get the fridge working again, i have to reset the breaker by flipping it down and then back up. It does not trip like the breakers in my house. In my house, the breaker will be slightly down in position and I would have to reset it. In the RV, it never goes slightly down, but I have to cycle it to get the fridge back on again. Thanks for replying.
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:41 PM   #4

ok, Now I understand and have seen this with the same inverter. The Inverter is not letting power pass through. It's something to do with the generator and the power switching with the inverter on.

I had to reset the breaker also occasionally. Or just leave inverter off before switching to generator power and it seems to not "confuse" the inverter.

Hope this helps.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote