Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

If I had a hammer

Forgive the stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer when searching other posts. Many people keep a mallet in their tool kit. I would like one for the hitch when needed. What weight of mallet would be good? I see 8, 16 or more ounces. Don't know how heavy or light I should go. Suggestions? TIA

Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Why are you hammering the hitch?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Why are you hammering the Hitch? Very good question Snake Plissken
Yes why do you need a hammer for your Hitch.....Desert RVers?
When the Hitch fully rest on the ball, the unlock pal moves back easily.
When the pal is out the way the ball drops easy out the hitch by raising the hitch.
When there is pressure from the TV forward or backward it takes more upward force to release the ball. But don't murder your Hitch with a mallet.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

When the tech was showing us how to hook up, he couldn't get the hitch lever to slide back into place very easily. He raised and lowered the jack a couple times and finally got it to sit properly. He suggested a mallet might be helpful or maybe I misunderstood what he meant. There was so much that the dealer went over yesterday when we picked up our TT, that my head was spinning.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
From the manufacturer the hitches are not lubricated, just put some lubrication on the hitch and they will go smooth.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

When mine was new I had a hard time with the hitch lever also. I lubed it and by the end of the summer it worked fine. Maybe painted parts need to rub together to wear some of the paint off and loosen up.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Sometimes my old arthritic hands have a hard time moving the latch on the hitch and I'll use a rubber mallet on it. It doesn't require much persuasion to get it to move, and the rubber mallet doesn't do any damage. I wouldn't use anything else, though.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
When the tech was showing us how to hook up, he couldn't get the hitch lever to slide back into place very easily. He raised and lowered the jack a couple times and finally got it to sit properly. He suggested a mallet might be helpful or maybe I misunderstood what he meant. There was so much that the dealer went over yesterday when we picked up our TT, that my head was spinning.
I've never had to use a mallet, but I have had some trailers that were difficult to hitch or unhitch. Usually just shaking the TT from side-to-side (grab the front jack and shake it from side-to-side) was enough. I sincerely hope the tech did NOT suggest hitting the hitch lever with a hard mallet to get it to slide back.

Sometimes if the TV or TT moves slightly, there can be some force between the hitch ball and receiver. That is the first thing I suspect when I have problems hitching or unhitching. If the ground is level and the TT is chocked, putting the TV into neutral and hold it by using the parking brake will often correct the push or pull on the hitch and allow the hitch lever to move into position.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Thanks to all for their thoughts. I'll give it some time to see if it works better over the next few weeks. I may try a bit of grease as well. I've searched and found many comments from those that do use a small dab of grease on the ball. I'll also try moving the tongue a little (if I can), or taking the TV out of park (with my foot on brake and park brake set) to see if that helps when the latch doesn't quite close. I'll keep you posted on my success. We're going to park it tomorrow in our storage space for a few days. Our first test run is delayed until after the predicted thunderstorms have passed through on Friday & Saturday
Old 05-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

I had a boat trailer that the owner before me had bent something in the coupler, so I needed something to (GENTLY) tap the lock into place. Since then I always carry a small 5lb "sledge" in my tool kit.

Very rarely do I ever use it for hitch work any more, I find that a liberal application of grease helps tremendously, but it comes in handy for other campsite chores sometimes. The only time I ever used it on any part of my hitch was when my WDH spring bars wouldn't budge off the perches. I had raised the hitch all the way up and they still wouldn't budge, so I stepped back out of the way and gave them a couple gentle taps with my little sledge to get them off. They weren't loaded up all that much, and using a tool kept me and my hands and shins safe and away from the bars when they released tension (even though it wasn't much tension). Even that only ever happened once, and I probably didn't really even need the hammer.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote