Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Inverter for bedroom tv

Anybody done this? There isn’t 12 volts in the tv cabinet. Suggestions? Or do I bite the bullet and run a new wire + ground.
rogerthedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Where is your factory inverter located? Ours was directly below our bedroom TV cabinet in our Jayco model, and we found the inverter had a couple of standard outlet plugs on the backside that weren't being used so we kept it simple and ran an extension cord up the back of the cabinets to the TV.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Well first of all even a small inverter should be wired to the batteries with sufficient size wire to carry the load of the wire and compensate for voltage drop. I would try to locate the nearest 120v source and run a Romex cable from there to a new outlet in your TV area.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

All my POwer Inverters are located as close to my main battery 12VDC connector as i can get and still be inside my trailer (out of the weather)...

Then I can run an 120VAC Extension Cord with multiple sockets on it with an ON-OFF switch to any part of the trailer I need it. Most Power Inverters have two 120VAC sockets on them so I run one extension cord to to my home entertainment area and the second extension cord back to the bedroom table area. This is where I keep my cell phones and other items that need to be plugged in for charging etc...

I would suggest you purchase a PURE SINE WAVE type Power Inverter so that you never have to worry about what you are plugging into the Power Inverter... Several things may go up in blue smoke if you have a Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter unit. AMAZON sells a 600WATT Pure Sine Wave AIMS model Power Inverter for less than $150...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

My factory installed 400 watt inverter for the living room tv is under the bed, 120 vac is in the cabinet over the class c cab. I’m thinking run 12 volts to bedroom cabinet, small inverter there just for the bedroom tv.
Maybe rethink it, run 110 out of inverter under the bed to tv cabinet in the bedroom?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthedodger View Post
My factory installed 400 watt inverter for the living room tv is under the bed, 120 vac is in the cabinet over the class c cab. I’m thinking run 12 volts to bedroom cabinet, small inverter there just for the bedroom tv.
Maybe rethink it, run 110 out of inverter under the bed to tv cabinet in the bedroom?
We would recommend the later. We have carried a 'spare' small portable inverter for years but haven't used it in a long time.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

The problem will be to run a 120 volt ac line from under the bed, to the opposite side of the motorhome to the bedroom tv cabinet. It may have to go under the frame. I also need to determine if the 400 watt inverter will handle the additional tv along with living room tv and DIRECTV DVR. May have to only run 1 tv at a time.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

We run both our newer LCD TVs at the same time using the 400 watt inverter without issue.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

Mine are 2009/10 model tv’s.