Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

inverter install with existing gen prep pkg

We have a 2018 336fbok 5th wheel which has the generator prep kit installed including an automatic transfer relay switch. We have a portable generator so don't have immediate plans to install an onboard Onan. We are getting ready to install a 3000w inverter; we also have 4, 6volt batteries. Does anyone know if having the generator prep package will make the inverter install easier or more difficult?
Thanks for any and all info!
livingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Shouldn't make any difference since the Inverter should be after the transfer switch. Only exception would be if you plan on powering the whole rig(less air) with the Inverter.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

Hello, I'm doing a similar install. An AIMS 3000W, 24VDC, 120VAC Inverter/Charger and 4 Rolls S275AGM 6V batteries wired in series as a 24V battery bank. I am wiring the inverter/charger inline with the shore-power to the trailer's 120V panel. This method will be the least invasive to the existing 120VAC/12VDC system. In fact, I won't be altering the existing system in any way other than the source of the 120VAC. 12VDC is still provided by the existing 12VDC converter/charger of the trailer. The inverter/charger has a built-in automatic transfer switch, so the trailer will be powered either by shore-power or 120VAC battery power. We will charge the battery bank with a Westinghouse iGen2500 Portable Inverter Generator, 2200 Rated Watts & 2500 Peak Watts connected to the trailer's shore-power cable.
GLENNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies Grumpy and GLENNEM. We are finally getting around to starting this project. We do want to be able to use the inverter to have power available in the entire unit and not just a few outlets. Got the schematics from Jayco customer service and they aren't as helpful as we had hoped. We had an RV repairman tell us today we might be able to just hook the inverter up to the generator prep input leads which would then feed into the automatic transfer switch. Sounds too simple, but will look into it.
livingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

Hey Livingthedream, I would still pursue an in-line 120AC installation. I found my trailer's power system in the space under the fridge where the power panel is. (your's may be located elsewhere) I had to dismantle the wood face of the compartment, but luckily it was mostly screwed together. My 3000W Inverter/Charger tucked in there nicely.
I located the shore-power in-feed 10ga. 2 conductor wire (a pinkish-orange colour), disconnected it from the trailer's power panel and connected it to the AC IN on my inverter. Then installed another 10ga. 2 conductor wire to the AC OUT on the inverter back to the trailer's power panel. The beauty of this method is, if your inverter has a built-in AC transfer switch, once you have your battery bank connected to your inverter, switching from shore-power to inverted battery power is automatic. Your 5th wheel's existing power system won't know the difference. I have completed my installation and it operates seamlessly.
P.S. I highly recommend installing a Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart Bluetooth battery monitor. Provides real-time information of your battery bank right on your phone!
GLENNEM is offline   Reply With Quote