Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #21

The service center we use has a secondary location near us at 7000 ft. I talked w/ the salesman here. He said he has sold lots of identical trailers to ours that are used up here at 7-9000 ft and no one has reported problems. So w/ that knowledge, what would you do?
Doctor Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Chuck View Post
The service center we use has a secondary location near us at 7000 ft. I talked w/ the salesman here. He said he has sold lots of identical trailers to ours that are used up here at 7-9000 ft and no one has reported problems. So w/ that knowledge, what would you do?
Have that service center check it. I think the issues are "hit and miss", as I mentioned earlier other JOF members have reported problems and it is not unusual based on what you find on the web. It even affects residential units.

The only other thing to do would be contact Atwood direct. They used to make a "high altitude kit" if I remember correctly.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #23

On my unit my heater is under the Jack knife sofa on mine there is no return air grill looks like the design was to bring the return air into the unit behind the sofa, just to eliminate your problem lift up the sofa prop it open see if that helps. We plugged up that gap behind the sofa with blanket’s to keep the cat from going under the sofa.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #24

One other thing on my unit I found the propane line/hose leading to the furnace under the trailer bent at a manifold this could restrict the flow of propane to the unit, the manifold is behind the rear wheel.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Old 10-11-2022, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have that service center check it. I think the issues are "hit and miss", as I mentioned earlier other JOF members have reported problems and it is not unusual based on what you find on the web. It even affects residential units.

The only other thing to do would be contact Atwood direct. They used to make a "high altitude kit" if I remember correctly.
The service center told me they contacted "Dometic" and no high altitude kit is avail for my furnace.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary207 View Post
On my unit my heater is under the Jack knife sofa on mine there is no return air grill looks like the design was to bring the return air into the unit behind the sofa, just to eliminate your problem lift up the sofa prop it open see if that helps. We plugged up that gap behind the sofa with blanket’s to keep the cat from going under the sofa.
Appreciate the thought. Tried propping it up and didn't help.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:27 AM   #27

Quote:
How large is the opening into the box that contains your heating unit? The OP has indicated to me in a PM that his opening is 5" x 5" which seems very small for a cold air return.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:02 AM   #28

On that propane manifold a line from the propane tank goes into the manifold then one rubber hose goes to the stove one to the refrigerator and one to the furnace. A bent hose would close down the flow of propane to the furnace. What would happen there would be enough propane to start the heater and then not enough propane can get through the bent hose and the gas valve shuts off the hose fills up after the bend and starts again. On my trailer it looked the hose was to short and the heater installer pulled the hose and bent the hose.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Old 10-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #29

As another avenue to try check the voltage at the blower motor with it running in the trailer a low voltage condition may cause the blower motor to slow down and that might Cause the problem

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
How large is the opening into the box that contains your heating unit? The OP has indicated to me in a PM that his opening is 5" x 5" which seems very small for a cold air return.
I will measure today
Old 10-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
On that propane manifold a line from the propane tank goes into the manifold then one rubber hose goes to the stove one to the refrigerator and one to the furnace. A bent hose would close down the flow of propane to the furnace. What would happen there would be enough propane to start the heater and then not enough propane can get through the bent hose and the gas valve shuts off the hose fills up after the bend and starts again. On my trailer it looked the hose was to short and the heater installer pulled the hose and bent the hose.
I'll have to drop my underbelly to check that. Good thought though. My propane hose to my tank regulator is so short it's hard to change tanks.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
As another avenue to try check the voltage at the blower motor with it running in the trailer a low voltage condition may cause the blower motor to slow down and that might Cause the problem
Wil do though the blower sounds strong while running.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #33

The propane manifold is out in the open in plane site on my 2022 trailer. They did foam around the hoses going into the under belly.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Old 10-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #34

Quote:
The propane manifold is out in the open in plane site on my 2022 trailer. They did foam around the hoses going into the under belly.
Thanks. I'll get underneath and check it out.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #35

Had a similar problem....dealer had unit for 6 months.....after replacing everything on unit...still short cycling....took unit out after 2 years to local repair.....put on bench....3 days later. Called said fixed....bad igniter...... 30 dollar part....took 2 years to fix.....has worked perfectly ever since....
tazdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #36

We have a 2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL and it took 2 years for them to completely change out our furnace. They replaced mother boards 3 times, new cases and covers and 5 stops at the service center in MANTECA CA. We live Hawaii so each service cost us round trip air and hotel stays. I love the Precept but hated the warranty service. works fine now
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #37

Furnace recycle problem

Our Pinnacle had the same issue. The local RV repair guy knew exactly what to do. Repaced the control board. He said he had replaced the control board in most of the Jayco units in the Park. The original boards are from Korea.Worked fine since he made the switch for us.
jmjaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdad View Post
Had a similar problem....dealer had unit for 6 months.....after replacing everything on unit...still short cycling....took unit out after 2 years to local repair.....put on bench....3 days later. Called said fixed....bad igniter...... 30 dollar part....took 2 years to fix.....has worked perfectly ever since....
Interesting but believable?

Top of my head

Higher altitude means thinner air , less oxygen so the flame would be yellow.
Incomplete combustion.

The flame should be blue and with proper pressure, the blue should almost touch the burner. The higher the pressure, the more the flame moves away from the burner ( flame speed).

The next person you ask to look at it, ask if he has a G1 license. Most RV techs don't. There is a few things I can think of that will do this and it should take less then an hour to diagnose.

I'm licensed to work on furnaces that are over 400,000 btu.

If it was me
1-A quick look at the flame
2- something is turning off and on. To me it most likely is a control component.

I don't like telling people to play with gas over the internet. But if you put something over the the rads, covering them, the cycling should change.

When you find out, please post, it's what makes this forum great
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #39

Replace the control board

We have a 2018 24RBS, our domestic furnace stopped working after a month. Talked to a Jayco Dealer in Anderson CA, who was seeing a lot of these furnaces failing, the same way you are describing. They were told by Dometic to replace the control board, once we did that the furnace has worked fine, with no issues.
Lmdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #40

So my 2015 Jayco had the same problems. My dealer was incompetent and never could / would fix it. Mine works most of the time now. Here is what I found. The 12 volt wiring is fed with very small wire, maybe 14 gauge... I ran new wires that were like 10 gauge to inverter connections under the bed. The voltage on the PC board was dropping to less then 10 volts when the blower motor was running. If the house battery was charging things worked pretty good, but when dry camping it was a no go. The burner kept going on and off. It would maybe run 5 or 10 seconds. The other thing to look at is the vane switch that senses air flow. mine was rubbing and did not move freely. Good luck with this it took me years to get mine working...
myflyertrains is offline   Reply With Quote