Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
M&A

LiFePO4 29 lbs RV Battery

Interesting specs - especially this quote:

"A cycle is the process of fully charging and discharging a battery. Typically lead acid batteries cannot be cycled below 50% depth of discharge. If you go lower than 50% you will significantly shorten the lifespan of the battery. Our LFP batteries can be discharged nearly 100% for thousands of cycles without shortening their lifespan."

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...cycle-battery/
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

A bit of salesman talk....I have several LiFePO4 batteries that are waiting to go away. One 100% discharge did each of them in. I've not had any problems getting to 90%, most vendors for RV/Marine class batteries advise not going below 80% of capacity......note that converting the 100 amp hr capacity to Reserve Capacity, you get 240 min. out of these. So actually 190 if you don't discharge past 20%. So not bad, especially for the weight savings. But one would have to decide if they are worth the additional cost vs. getting lead acids. Note that this brand also has a discharge limit of 100 amps - so it would struggle to supply an inverter bigger than 1000 watt, if you really pull that many watts at once while camping.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

$899.00 No Thanks

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Site Team

As mentioned there is a GREAT SALES PITCH that goes with LiFePo4 battery systems. Granted, they are a lot lighter, but there is some information that seems to be left out of a lot of the sales pitches. Like, you can get 2000 to 5000 cycles out of a LiFePo4 battery system... Ahhhh but I for got to mention that is ONLY under a controlled environment. RV's seem to lack those IDEAL conditions. The average temperature of my storage compartment is between 80 and 85 degrees. If you look at the below chart, that pretty much puts me in the same life cycle range of my flooded batteries. Battery temperature dictates the results of all other tests, unless of course you abuse them.

Some charts indicate at 50% DOD you could get 5000 cycles.... probably could if the battery is constantly kept at its ideal temperature. Not going to happen in an RV.

The BMS is the critical part of the charging system.. of course you have the entry level versions and the top of the line models. I would venture to say that they probably used the top of the line BMS with microcontrollers between each cell to accomplish those numbers, probably not going to happen on the entry level BMS.

As in flooded batteries, AGE plays an important part in the batteries output. In flooded batteries the lead plates get thinner over time causing a drop in Ah. The battery off the shelf had 85Ah, now after 4+ years it is putting out less than 40Ah, it still looks like brand new, charges great, and stays at 12.8 VDC for months while sitting, but put a load on it and you can watch the battery discharging on the meter..

So, I personally do not think that a LiFePo4 system will do anything for my RVing life style other than cost me an arm and a leg

So, what is the average temperature in your storage compartment where the batteries will be stored? It will affect your charging and discharging results.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - LiFePo4 - Cycle Service Life - 1.jpg   BATTERY - LiFePo4 - Temperature vs Cycle Life- 2.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Note that this brand also has a discharge limit of 100 amps - so it would struggle to supply an inverter bigger than 1000 watt, if you really pull that many watts at once while camping.
I have two of these batteries and a 3000 W pure sine wave inverter and I have no trouble running the air conditioner with this set up and these batteries.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

How long can you run the A/C for?

I will say that I have sent the Battle Born guys some emails, and they respond quickly...
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
How long can you run the A/C for?

I will say that I have sent the Battle Born guys some emails, and they respond quickly...
I can run it for an hour with about a 30% charge left. Rarely do that, but it’s nice to know it can. I've hit this system pretty hard with a variety of appliances and it has no problem delivering the power. Vitamix blender, Keurig coffee maker, rice cooker, hair dryer, electric chainsaw, etc. have all worked fine. I don't run them simultaneously, but the batteries and inverter can handle each of these things just fine. Here are the numbers for the BattleBorn Batteries

1. 100 amps continuous (1200 watts at 12 volts) – this means you can pull 100 amps out of the battery when you need it until the capacity is all used up. This would be a 1C discharge rate.

2. 200 amps for 30 seconds (2400 watts at 12 volts) – if your device has a surge an individual battery can deliver 2400 watts for 30 seconds.

3. ½ second surge up to the max capacity of the battery. If you have a high momentary over 200 amps the battery will handle this for ½ second.

*Keep in mind that when you have to 2 batteries in parallel you will double these surge numbers, with 4 batteries in parallel you will quadruple these figures
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

My current GP24 12V batteries weight around 47lbs each. I am replacing them with GC2 6V batteries that weighs 62 lbs each. Having four of those on my trailer tongue is going to be 248 lbs plus what ever the metal battery box is going to weigh. I should be able to draw 12VDC@25AMPS from these 6V batteries wired in two groups of two 6V batteries in series for a rather long time frame. The book says around 14 hours to full discharge at 0% charge state or around 7 hours down to the 50% charge state...

Old school still rules here i reckon...

I'm waiting on the fuel cells that run on pure sand (Silicon Power)... got alot sand just laying around on the round...

Roy Ken

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I am replacing them with GC2 6V batteries that weighs 62 lbs each. Having four of those on my trailer tongue is going to be 248 lbs plus what ever the metal battery box is going to weigh. I should be able to draw 12VDC@25AMPS from these 6V batteries wired in two groups of two 6V batteries in series for a rather long time frame. The book says around 14 hours to full discharge at 0% charge state or around 7 hours down to the 50% charge state...

Old school still rules here i reckon...

I'm waiting on the fuel cells that run on pure sand (Silicon Power)... got alot sand just laying around on the round...

Roy.....

Wait no longer!!!!

Will look good on tongue of your TT. Salt Water Batter, hey the Gulf of Mexico is about 150 yards to my east, will not have to go far to top them off

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - SaltWater Battery-2.jpg   BATTERY - SaltWater Battery-1.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Mustang65;500400]Roy.....

Wait no longer!!!!

Don - You would think by now we would have something to show for all of the battery powered cars on the market now... I guess they are keeping all the secret power plants all to them selves...

There is probably a good reason the ancient alien visitors went to the sand belt for all of their early developments. All of those early 2500BC pyramids apparently were power source things...

Who can afford $1000 batteries...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote