Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #1

LiFePO4 with solar from lead acid - replace converter?

I have a 2006 Jayco travel trailer with 30 amp IOTA Engineering charger/converter/load center. Recently I installed two Renogy 200 watt solar panels with controller, monitor, inverter and 100 AH LiFePO4 battery. This system is presently isolated from the existing lead acid batteries and their respective wiring. I want to remove the lead acid batteries and tie the entire system to the new system. All things considered, I think it may be best to replace the entire charger/converter/load center with Progressive Dynamics'
Intel-Power Mighty Mini. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Silverado with "smart alternator". But maybe I don't need to replace converter. I boondock 60% of the time. I may add another battery and more solar.

Questions:
Will the existing, or new converter handle charging from my tow vehicle?
Is a Progressive Dynamics PD4045KA my best choice?
Should I turn solar power off when on shore power or traveling?
Maybe I just leave the existing converter alone, use my stand alone Victron UP65 15 amp smart charger when on shore power?
Old 03-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

One important question, what is the max charge capability of the LiFePo4 that you bought?

Make sure if you go down this path you do not mix the two battery types, that is not good.

From a tow vehicle perspective I have not seen any reason why with one or two batteries you would need to isolate or add a DC-DC charger unless you want to add additional charging to the system. Otherwise the standard system will be fine. Someone might have more experience on this as I am not 100% sure, but am 98% sure.

The PD is good, if you have a WFCO they are also good. I believe the PD allows for the converter to be swapped/replaced by itself on all of their models. But ask them to make sure of this. You would need to ask PD or WFCO what their swap out for the IOTA is, from my exp both companies quickly answer questions and take phone calls and are great.

Always leave the solar connected if its hard installed, if its portable then I wouldn't worry if you are on shore as any new converter that is lithium compat. will fully charge the batteries. But having both on and charging at the same time is no issue.

Depending on the answer to my first question and if you replace the converter. Having both the converter, the Victron, and possibly solar may possibly be too much for a single battery most 100ah batteries max between 50a and 100a for charging. The IOTA converter may not be LI compatible at all, if they are still around I would reach out to them and ask. I know older WFCO models are usually fine.

The victron by itself would also be find, just make sure to turn off the converter breaker in the power center.

Sounds like a fun project.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

I have a non lithium converter and spent some time talking to Renogy about adding 200 watts of solar and a Renogy MPPT solar controller.

Renogy informed me that the built in charge system I have is meant for lead acid and would only charge my lithium 100 AH to 70 to 80% WHICH WOULD NOT HARM IT. If I am solar at the same time the solar will charge at a higher voltage and will charge the battery to 100% if sun is available.

Neither one will harm or cause problems for the other.

Based on this I won't spend the time and 200 or 300 $ to change out the converter.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:35 PM   #4

Roger, you are 100% correct, at least on newer versions, and depending on use it may not matter. I would only caution that an older LA style charger (his was from 2006) may not work quite as well, but with the lithium having the BMS it will prob still be ok.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the input

Thanks, guys! Your input is very helpful. After continued research and talking to Iota and Progressive Dynamics, I'm learning a lot and leaning toward leaving the converter as is. I'll be adding another 200 watts of solar to my existing 200 watts with a new MPPT controller, I suspect charging won't be an issue. If it is, I can run the genny for a few hours with the Victron charger. Good point about isolating the existing converter in this case, but if it's not plugged in to shore power or the genny while I charge from the genny/Victron combo while boondocking, I wonder what the potential problem would be?
Old 04-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

Added 200 watt panel in 2006 and MPPT controller, still working like a charm. But when in storage I forget to check batteries monthly. And they went dry and trashed my 6v deep cells. Expensive mistake on my part. Just turned 70 could that have anything to do with it? LOL
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:09 PM   #7

@bdreinv, that is where the LiFePO4 come in handy, no maintenance! :-)
Old 04-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #8

My trailer already had a PD4045 unit that was for Lead Acid only. So I just swapped the power converter portion to the newest version that has a switch to allow you to jump between lead acid and Lithium using the same unit.

The exact quote from PD was:

"Our newest version of the PD4045CSV has the lithium switch
The PD4045LICSV is for lithium batteries only.

To get the most up to date version of the PD4045CSV, we suggest purchasing from Leisure Time Dist.

https://ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSIVE-DYNAMICS-LITHIUM-CAPABLE-CONVERTER-SECTION-PD4045CSV-PD4045CSV.htm

"
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging system, converter, lifepo4, lithium