Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #1

Lithium questions

I post too much but I have questions and am new. I just bought 1000 amp hours of lithium batteries and completely covered my entire trailer with solar panels...

1. Any negative effects from the tow hitch 7 pin pushing trickle power into the batteries directly? Want to make sure I dont do bad things with my batteries.

2. Any charger controller recommendations? I think i will purchase a separate lithium charger from PD and wire it in to the craptacular wfco 8735p panel. (Ps - it's not really craptacular, just zero room for expansion - so frustrating).

Ps, my kids are watching live action Disney movies. Learned that live action Disney movies suck.
3. Instead of extra converter, instead buy a whole progressive d mighty mini 60amp panel and resolution electrical? Sounds cool but let's face it, i have issues with 25 piece lego sets so... but I'm the little train that can, so.

4. Plan on putting batteries in front pass through, in the middle, building an insulated box with a switchable 12 volt computer fan leading through the cabin floor to ensure not too hot and not too cool. (Who am I kidding, you can never be too cool.)

5. Will use associated heavy gauge wires I stole off an old nazi u boat battery bank in a museum.

Oh yeah, I was kidding about the 1000 amp hours, solar panels covering my trailer and u boat thingy. Wine makes me think I am funny.

K, thanks all.
IamSpartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

Wow! 1000 amp hour battery! So I have 400 amp hour which is covered by 1050 watts of solar using a Victron charge controller. Never had an issue from the Tow Vehicle providing a charge since it will only output 14.2 volts. I’m not sure how that would cause a problem. My charge Controller is programmed to provides 14.4 Volts when it shuts down, and my trucks alternator provides 14.2 volts. My batteries recommend 14.4 to 14.6 for a full charge. You should be good..
Noblewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #3

Upgrading those two components will hopefully be fairly straightforward. As for never being too cool, if you stay south all year or only venture north after winter and will not ever see temps drop below 32°, you should be good. Although lithium will discharge fine at sub-freezing temps, they could be damaged or capacity permanently reduced if charged in temps below 32°.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
RPR

Check charging specs on the lithium so you will get the maximum life out of the batteries. Max amps you should charge them at is a little different than regular batteries. The battery voltage stays high during a discharge , which is great, till it gets to a certain point then drops fast. With Regular batteries voltage drops at a steady rate from the start.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Upgrading those two components will hopefully be fairly straightforward. As for never being too cool, if you stay south all year or only venture north after winter and will not ever see temps drop below 32°, you should be good. Although lithium will discharge fine at sub-freezing temps, they could be damaged or capacity permanently reduced if charged in temps below 32°.
Most battery BMS's wont allow battery to charge below freezing
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
RPR

There is a chart that shows percentage of normal battery capacities at cold/freezing temps. Cold storage and freezer warehouses use it to determine what run time will be on electric forklifts.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
There is a chart that shows percentage of normal battery capacities at cold/freezing temps. Cold storage and freezer warehouses use it to determine what run time will be on electric forklifts.
Not many forklifts if any run on lithium batteries
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #8

Hey folks I was making a joke about never being too cool. I am aware the bms shuts down charging at 0 c or 32 f. It was more of like a fonzi kinda joke? ...did I just date myself? Lol.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
Hey folks I was making a joke about never being too cool. I am aware the bms shuts down charging at 0 c or 32 f. It was more of like a fonzi kinda joke? ...did I just date myself? Lol.
"Ayyyy" now we know!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
RPR

Environmental push is toward lithium. Do not have to worry about spillage when turned over. Like electric pallet jacks “falling” out of delivery trucks at customers location and no fumes when charging. High cost is the factor.