Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #1

Pex line water leak

We discovered water under the bathroom sink on our last trip, took the trailer in to see if the source could be located and the dealer was not able to find the leak. We took the trailer out yesterday for an overnight trip and we too could not initially find the leak. We ended removing the cover that protects the pipes under the vanity cabinet and after about two hours of being connected using the city water connection, the pex line started to drip. Back to the dealer to have them fix the problem. I joke and say they owe me $193 in diagnostic time since they had the trailer for a month and say they couldn't find the leak. Ugh
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2198.jpg   IMG_2898.jpg  
Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

We’ve sprung two such leaks on the last two trips — under kitchen faucet and under tub faucet. Luckily I found them pretty quick and both were in the threaded elbow above the pex connection. Fixed with Teflon tape. Definitely easier than a trip to the dealer.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #3

I carry some pex fittings and crimpers with me...haven't had to use them yet, but I also use a water pressure regulator. If your not using one that could be part of the issue. High water pressure that they may not have at the dealership, could cause a drip like that. Be happy you found it and they fixed it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

I'm afraid I have a leak somewhere also.... found one leak under kitchen sink..loose threaded fitting, fixed that, now pump cycles about once every half hour..can't find leak. What should I do next?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
I'm afraid I have a leak somewhere also.... found one leak under kitchen sink..loose threaded fitting, fixed that, now pump cycles about once every half hour..can't find leak. What should I do next?
Check in hidden places. I didn’t notice the leak from the tub faucet connection until water seeped under the sliding cover in the wall where you access it. Not a lot, but would have seen it earlier had I checked back there.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

I have a 28.5 RSTS. How can you access the shower faucets to check for leaks?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
I didn't see the year of your unit. Be aware the check valve in the pump can release pressure causing the pump to cycle without having an external water leak. If you can plug the pump output line, you'll know if it is in the pump or 'down stream' of the pump.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

Another tip: I keep a tee, an elbow, and a plug in the camper. Being Shark Bite fittings, no special (expensive) tool is needed to get me through a trip if a line or fitting springs a leak. It's not a permanent fix, but it will work until I can get home to the rest of my tools!
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

Picked up a new Entegra Odyssey in July, had it out for the first real trip two weeks ago. Puddle behind toilet, but toilet isn't leaking. Looked at cabinet next to it, and the molding is water damaged. Two screws hod the panel in there, but some intelligent soul must have put the molding over it so I can't get the panel out. On noticed under city water connection, but I use a regulator. Going to the shop on Saturday...
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

Our 28.5 rsts is a 2018 . How do you access the faucets in the shower they are between the wall ?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

I learned something valuable when I helped my dad put a new toilet in his '77 Jayco. I learned how to install quick connect plumbing fittings, often called "Shark Bite", which is a brand name. Watts is another and commonly found in home improvement stores. It's what we used. If I had to make a repair like this on the road I could easily do so.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
. Watts is another and commonly found in home improvement stores.
And a lot less money..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Site Team

The shower fixtures are typically accessible from the other side of the wall behind them. In my rig that is inside a kitchen cabinet. I found a paneling covered access point directly behind the faucets.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #14

I have a pantry and the outside wall
Old 10-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #15

Ours is in at the dealer right now getting some PEX line replaced for the very same reason. Our third trip out with it, the hot water side under the kitchen sink popped off the elbow and sprayed everywhere!! Luckily I had already purchased a PEX line kit with extra clams, crimpers, cutter, etc. I worked at fixing the line for the evening (was leaving the following day). I went and purchased braided hoses and better fittings/couplers to replace what was there. But asked the dealership to fix this while they had it putting a new AC on it (yep - this Jayco has been full of issues). They "repaired it"...well, two weeks ago we were camping in Cherokee - it done it again, TWICE! I got pissed and cut out the entire hot water PEX line so they have to replace the entire section. Dropped it off at the dealer on the way home from the trip and told them not to call me until it was fixed right. I have lost my ability to handle these issues "the nice guy" way. So far, we've owned this piece of @#)! for about 5 months and camped in it just as many times (5) and 4 out of the 5 trips we have had either an issue with the hot water heater, no AC or busted PEX piping. We will never own another Jayco.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoran View Post
Ours is in at the dealer right now getting some PEX line replaced for the very same reason. Our third trip out with it, the hot water side under the kitchen sink popped off the elbow and sprayed everywhere!! Luckily I had already purchased a PEX line kit with extra clams, crimpers, cutter, etc. I worked at fixing the line for the evening (was leaving the following day). I went and purchased braided hoses and better fittings/couplers to replace what was there. But asked the dealership to fix this while they had it putting a new AC on it (yep - this Jayco has been full of issues). They "repaired it"...well, two weeks ago we were camping in Cherokee - it done it again, TWICE! I got pissed and cut out the entire hot water PEX line so they have to replace the entire section. Dropped it off at the dealer on the way home from the trip and told them not to call me until it was fixed right. I have lost my ability to handle these issues "the nice guy" way. So far, we've owned this piece of @#)! for about 5 months and camped in it just as many times (5) and 4 out of the 5 trips we have had either an issue with the hot water heater, no AC or busted PEX piping. We will never own another Jayco.
Do you use a water pressure regulator? That and an EMS are always the first thing connected before I connect my RV. Water pressure varies greatly from campground to campground, especially when not on city water system. Last campground the water pressure was 140 lbs...since this was in the mountains and this City system needed to pump water up the mountains. Good Luck... a pex line is not the hill to die on. Im surprised since you have the crimper that you weren't able to repair it...Again be sure to always use a regulator on your incoming water line.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Do you use a water pressure regulator? That and an EMS are always the first thing connected before I connect my RV. Water pressure varies greatly from campground to campground, especially when not on city water system. Last campground the water pressure was 140 lbs...since this was in the mountains and this City system needed to pump water up the mountains. Good Luck... a pex line is not the hill to die on. Im surprised since you have the crimper that you weren't able to repair it...Again be sure to always use a regulator on your incoming water line.
Hi Wags,

Thanks for the response. However, I can assure you that the PEX line isnt the hill I'm dying on. It's just everything. 3 out of 5 trips my family wasnt able to shower in our own (new) RV because of faulty boards in the water heater. I know...not Jayco. 1 trip in the direct middle of the summer here in South Carolina with unbearable heat and humidity, the AC didnt work...at all. Two of the trips we've experienced the PEX line blowing and putting water everywhere inside. And yes, I've used the regulator from day one. The issue here, it seems, is that the ID of the hot water PEX line is too big in diameter...and not by much, but enough that it does not hold, no matter how many PEX line clamps you use. After the first blowout I began using two claps AND had to "bulk up" the diameter of the brass elbow that I'm crimping the PEX line to, as well as, wrapping the outside of the pex line to further bulk up the diameter to (hopefully) get a tighter crimp on the line.

It's just been nothing but problems and yes, I understand that all manufacturers will have issues but it infuriates me to think that pill is so easily swallowed by so many. This enables the manufacturer(s) to get away with this, thus nothing changes. I bet if there was a lemon law enacted, it would change!
MMoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #18

I've found two different leaks involving pipes this summer. The first was at the pump, which I found strange since we've never used it. The setup for the pump is stupid. Since I never plan to use it, I just removed it. Now I have a leak on the piping leading to the toilet. Yes, I use a pressure regulator. [emoji853]
Macshane43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoran View Post
Hi Wags,

Thanks for the response. However, I can assure you that the PEX line isnt the hill I'm dying on. It's just everything. 3 out of 5 trips my family wasnt able to shower in our own (new) RV because of faulty boards in the water heater. I know...not Jayco. 1 trip in the direct middle of the summer here in South Carolina with unbearable heat and humidity, the AC didnt work...at all. Two of the trips we've experienced the PEX line blowing and putting water everywhere inside. And yes, I've used the regulator from day one. The issue here, it seems, is that the ID of the hot water PEX line is too big in diameter...and not by much, but enough that it does not hold, no matter how many PEX line clamps you use. After the first blowout I began using two claps AND had to "bulk up" the diameter of the brass elbow that I'm crimping the PEX line to, as well as, wrapping the outside of the pex line to further bulk up the diameter to (hopefully) get a tighter crimp on the line.

It's just been nothing but problems and yes, I understand that all manufacturers will have issues but it infuriates me to think that pill is so easily swallowed by so many. This enables the manufacturer(s) to get away with this, thus nothing changes. I bet if there was a lemon law enacted, it would change!
I've done a lot of pex and never saw an oversized pipe, but a first for everything. On crimping the clamps, have you "set" your crimpers? Most come with a gauge, allowing you to adjust the crimpers to get the proper pressure. Seems odd the ID was too big, but the OD was too small ?? Perhaps your tool is not adjusted to the proper pressure, worth a look. I have the shark bite crimping tool and since I don't use it very often anymore, I check it before using, only takes a few seconds. Almost like gapping spark plugs. Sorry about the water heater board, what happened to the AC? I know the furnace boards are highly susceptible to even static electric.

Hope you get it all repaired and have no more issues.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #20

I built one of these

The RV Doctor: Properly Testing RV Fresh Water System

Ordered the part that screws into the water input on the camper from FMCA. Lets you do a leak test on the water system with air pressure instead of water pressure. Just set the pressure on the air compressor.
wfinigan is offline   Reply With Quote