Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #1

Progressive Dynamics Converter “Copper Jumper”

The Progressive Dynamics PD4690 uses a “copper jumper” to connect the Battery Positive and Battery Disconnect Positive on the board to enable the converter to power the 12v panel even when the battery is disconnected when it is on shore power.

Jayco didn’t install it in our trailer so disconnecting the battery when on shore power causes the converter to shut down and you lose power for all 12v systems.

Took some effort, but I was able to ask the Progressive Dynamics tech I’ve been working with the right question to get this info from him. When I asked what the specs were for the wire, he gave me a part number, said I could only buy it through them directly and he’d try to have a price and availability for me on Monday. This seems to literally be just a solid copper wire so if anyone knows what gauge wire they are using it would be much appreciated.

Just to be clear, this is not the lithium jumper, it is specifically for determining if the converter will cutoff if the battery is disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
1654298395117.jpg  
InMyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMyImage View Post
The Progressive Dynamics PD4690 uses a “copper jumper” to connect the Battery Positive and Battery Disconnect Positive on the board to enable the converter to power the 12v panel even when the battery is disconnected when it is on shore power.
Yes, an internal shunt/jumper is installed within the converter to connect battery to converter (probably by Jayco). This connection also provides the converter output to charge the battery.

Quote:
Jayco didn’t install it in our trailer so disconnecting the battery when on shore power causes the converter to shut down and you lose power for all 12v systems.
If this shunt/wire/whatever was not installed; then I believe your battery would not be charged by the converter? Without this connection the battery isnt even connected to the converter? Not sure of any converter shutdown because of this.

Quote:
Just to be clear, this is not the lithium jumper, it is specifically for determining if the converter will cutoff if the battery is disconnected.
Not sure what is meant by lithium jumper. But personally never had converter shutdown because of battery disconnect and my limited knowledge I dont know of anything installed by Jayco/Dealer is needed to prevent "converter shutdown". Note my knowledge is limited in regards to this.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #3

There are 2 methods of installing this converter, with or without the jumper wire.

With the wire the converter can supply 12v power when the batter disconnect is off, the battery circuit breaker/fuse is tripped, or when the battery is completely disconnected. Basically the jumper creates a feedback loop such that the converter doesn’t realize there isn’t a battery available.

Without the jumper, if any of the 3 conditions above are true, the converter stops supplying 12v power to the system until the battery is reconnected to the system.

In our 2018 North Point, Jayco didn’t install the jumper so when I went I disconnected our batteries to prepare for a LiFePO4 upgrade the 12v systems all shut down, including the thermostats for our AC’s.

Progressive Dynamics has determined that the converter appears to be working fine, it just needs the jumper wire to work without the batteries connected and instead of just telling me what gauge wire to use said he’ll get me a price for the “part”.

I’m hoping someone has the jumper and can tell me what gauge it is, odds are PD will try to charge me an arm and a leg for 10 cent piece of wire.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #4

why would it not require the same size wire that is going to the batteries or the battery disconnect switch?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:39 PM   #5

It doesn’t carry current, just senses a “complete” circuit.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #6

Not exactly the same PD power center, but here’s a pic of the jumper on mine (a piece copper, but a piece of 6-4 gauge wire would do the same).
It does supply 12v to your fuses, it doesn’t just sense current.
Attached Thumbnails
C5517885-4E69-4498-A02A-27DE7702C34D.jpg  
Old 06-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #7

Based on the diagram you posted…

For installations without an external DC disconnect switch:
1. Connect battery POS (+) lead to the BATTERY POSITIVE (+) lug.
2. Connect battery NEG (-) lead to the BATTERY GND (-) lug.
3. The BATTERY DISCONNECT (+) lug is not used.
Approved Filler Plates o ITE/Siemens – QF3 o GE – TQLFP1

For installations incorporating an external DC disconnect switch:
1. Remove the JUMPER. (if installed)
2. Connect battery POS (+) lead and the BATTERY POSITIVE (+) lead to the same pole on the external disconnect switch.
3. Connect the BATTERY DISCONNECT (+) lead to other pole on the external disconnect switch.
4. Connect battery NEG (-) lead to the BATTERY GND (-) lug

Tags
converter, converter charger, converter problem