Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2024, 09:01 PM   #1

Pulled wire from breakaway switch while relocating batteries help reconnecting please

Hi guys first post here , i am the owner of a new 184bs , 2023 model . I was rerouting the battery cables in under the queen bed to start a bank of lithium batteries . But while pulling the current cables back i managed to pull one of the wires near the junction box from my breakaway switch off . It is only a two wire switch and i traced the other wire ( the one i did not pull out ) into a pigtail twist connector with 2 blue wires , the other wire is just hanging outside the junction box . If im not mistaken i just hook this one up to battery + (12v constant) am i correct in this ? I would really appreciate any help this is my first RV of any kind
Boomhauee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:35 AM   #2

Only 2 wires on breakaway switch. One goes directly to the positive (+) side of the battery. The other wire goes directly to positive wire for the brakes. This connection is normally made in the junction box on the trailer tongue where the wires coming from the 7-way plug meet the trailer wiring. Normal color for the brake positive wire is blue.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:09 AM   #3

Welcome to the forums.

Jayco is usually really good at sending schematics. Just have your vin handy.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Only 2 wires on breakaway switch. One goes directly to the positive (+) side of the battery. The other wire goes directly to positive wire for the brakes. This connection is normally made in the junction box on the trailer tongue where the wires coming from the 7-way plug meet the trailer wiring. Normal color for the brake positive wire is blue.

Glade this thread came up. I just bought a spare breakaway switch this week from the local Jayco dealer. It is a Curt brand breakaway switch and while reading the installation instructions it instructs the blue wire is for the brake positive as you have said. I’m no electrician by no means, but both of the two wires coming out of the breakaway switch are blue. How am I supposed to know what wire is used for the brake positive and the other for the battery? Call me dumb or what.
Lonetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:24 AM   #5

Probably should not matter which is which. Switch is normally open until the pin is pulled. Pull pin, switch closes connecting battery to brakes. Switch should not be polarity sensitive.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonetraveler View Post
Glade this thread came up. I just bought a spare breakaway switch this week from the local Jayco dealer. It is a Curt brand breakaway switch and while reading the installation instructions it instructs the blue wire is for the brake positive as you have said. I’m no electrician by no means, but both of the two wires coming out of the breakaway switch are blue. How am I supposed to know what wire is used for the brake positive and the other for the battery? Call me dumb or what.
It's a simple set of contacts inside, so it doesn't matter which wire goes where. One has to connect to the brake wiring the other then goes to the positive side of the battery.

Tags
brakes, breakaway, help needed, switch, wiring