Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2024, 09:09 AM   #1

Side Marker Cameras

We are ready to purchase a rear view camera. Our 2021 Jay Flight is prepped for the rear camera and the side marker cameras. We are debating the value and utility of the side marker cameras.

These are our questions for the side marker cameras:
  • Are they worth the extra money?
  • If you have them, how well do they serve you?
  • Under what circumstances do they serve you?
  • How often do you use them?

Thank You!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:41 AM   #2

I haven't found much value for me in the side cameras...I think having good factory tow mirrors helps more that the side camera.

The one time I used it was the right side leaving a gas station turning left I wanted to make sure no one pulled up close to my right side that I could not see in the turn.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I haven't found much value for me in the side cameras...I think having good factory tow mirrors helps more that the side camera.

The one time I used it was the right side leaving a gas station turning left I wanted to make sure no one pulled up close to my right side that I could not see in the turn.
Your gas station example is relevant for us. We've had similar instances where side view cameras would help; we almost took out a gas pump. We also have a sharp-angled retaining wall that we must navigate when we back into our property.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
Your gas station example is relevant for us. We've had similar instances where side view cameras would help; we almost took out a gas pump. We also have a sharp-angled retaining wall that we must navigate when we back into our property.
might as well set it up then

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:36 PM   #5

I use the side cameras when backing into our storage space. They’re especially helpful when maneuvering solo. Have also used them occasionally on the highway to supplement the side mirrors. Haven’t used them in a dark setting, but can definitely see them being a big plus in maneuvering into a campsite if arriving after dark.
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:22 AM   #6

Quote:
We are ready to purchase a rear view camera. Our 2021 Jay Flight is prepped for the rear camera and the side marker cameras. We are debating the value and utility of the side marker cameras.

Thank You!
My trailer was prepped as well. I installed the Fusion rearview and both side cameras. I use the rearview a lot backing, and when passing a car on the highway you can tell when you are clear and can move back into the right lane.

The side view, not so much. The extreme fisheye lenses make them not as useful, even when parking. But, if you are going to get the system, it is not that much more for the two side view cameras.

Maybe there are other options.
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:52 PM   #7

I might be too late to the party, but agree. The side cameras are not terribly useful. Were I to do it again I would not buy the side cameras. They are there now, but the field of view is just too wide to be really helpful in avoiding or even seeing objects on the sides. The rear is very helpful tough and if/when we get another trailer I will install a cam on the back again.
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:

Thank You!
I don't have a lot of experience in towing or backing up, as this is my first big camper, BUT I do have the cameras. I installed them at the dealer while they were busy hooking up and installing my WD hitch. I literally drove home in late October and used them once. So my experience is x1.

I used them on my way home...but found myself using the mirrors more when on the highway...I think it was just habit?...If felt more natural to use the mirrors; you drive, you use your mirrors. I DID use the cameras more when I was backing my trailer into my side yard (by myself.) They really did help me to find my landmarks and kept me oriented while backing in. It was also my very first experience backing up a travel trailer. It took me a while, but I did it!
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:49 PM   #9

Do the side marker cameras provide a "fish eye" view? In some of the YouTube videos, it looks like they give a pretty good view of things (like a fence or wall) on the sides of the trailer. Is that the case, or are the videos an inaccurate picture of what the side cameras provide when backing in?

At our home, I have to back in and navigate an angled concrete wall and a gate. Are you saying that you do not think the side marker cameras will help me see the fencing sides of the gate opening and the concrete wall?

Currently, I cannot see the wall's relationship to the rear 1/4 of the trailer sides, and I cannot see the fence gate opening after the trailer's end passes through the gate.