Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #1

Question about my A/C

I have a 2014 Jayco 26RKS with one AC unit up top. Not sure the brand.
Here recently I have noticed when I turn it on for the first time once set up it will not come on. Slide switch to "AC on" and nothing. Slid it to "Fan" and fan comes on. Typically I can slide it back in forth a couple times or turn it to fan only and let the fan run a few seconds then switch to AC and it will fire up and run just fine as long as I'm camping. Even if I turn it off for a while it will still click right back on. Its only when its off for several weeks between trips that it wants to be tricky to start.
Anyone have any idea what this couple be? Could it just be contacts or something in the thermostat/switch or does it sound more like something with the unit itself?
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #2

Maybe the start capacitor?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #3

A possible dirty switch on the thermostat. If you slide it a few times it works, then when it sits for a while it doesn’t. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
RPR

I would suggest changing it out with a digital thermostat which is more efficient and you do not have to slide it to get it to turn on. There is another post that members shared good info on change out.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #5

I've noticed on mine that if I turn it off and then back on (assuming it was on for a min or more when I turned it off, turning it off to run microwave or something else high amperage) it does not turn on immediately. Perhaps up to 1-2 minutes and it will come back on. Not sure if its the start capacitors charging or something else. I think my last RV did the same thing, but both ACs in the current unit do it.

When you turn yours on, was it off and you turned it on? If you turn it on and leave it, does the AC start in a minute or two?
Old 07-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeade View Post
I have a 2014 Jayco 26RKS with one AC unit up top. Not sure the brand.
Here recently I have noticed when I turn it on for the first time once set up it will not come on. Slide switch to "AC on" and nothing. Slid it to "Fan" and fan comes on. Typically I can slide it back in forth a couple times or turn it to fan only and let the fan run a few seconds then switch to AC and it will fire up and run just fine as long as I'm camping. Even if I turn it off for a while it will still click right back on. Its only when its off for several weeks between trips that it wants to be tricky to start.
Anyone have any idea what this couple be? Could it just be contacts or something in the thermostat/switch or does it sound more like something with the unit itself?
The compressor/thermostat has a time delay to allow the internal pressure to equalize once it shuts off. Can't remember if it's 2 minutes or longer. Many home thermostats have a 5 min delay built in.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

When the TT was new to me, it did the same thing. I'm aware of the delay, so if it didn't start right away, I wasn't too concerned, as long as it did start! I've heard time and time again the analog thermostats aren't that good, and I believe it. Prolly next year I'll change it out. Also read, that there is an upgrade product that will soft start the A/C, but I haven't looked into it, yet.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I've noticed on mine that if I turn it off and then back on (assuming it was on for a min or more when I turned it off, turning it off to run microwave or something else high amperage) it does not turn on immediately. Perhaps up to 1-2 minutes and it will come back on. Not sure if its the start capacitors charging or something else. I think my last RV did the same thing, but both ACs in the current unit do it.

When you turn yours on, was it off and you turned it on? If you turn it on and leave it, does the AC start in a minute or two?
This isn't a turn the unit off for a little while and it won't turn back on kind of problem. This only occurs when I set up the unit and attempt to start the AC for the very first time on the camping trip. Once it starts I can turn it off and on all I want and it will start right back up.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
RPR

Capacitor may be the problem. Self discharging over period of time.
I
Attached Thumbnails
E32A837A-B39C-4B7A-A985-5901CE905C9F.jpg  
Old 07-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Capacitor may be the problem. Self discharging over period of time.
I
Ok my knowledge of HVAC ends at the on off switch so forgive me. I read the article you attached. Is that saying this would be normal or that I need to replace my capacitor. I have a hard time thinking this is normal as I've never had one do this prior. If this is the issue would it be correct to assume the unit would start within a short while if just turned on and left alone?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
RPR

I would lean toward the slide temperature switch on the thermostat. The one comment about sliding the slide back and forth is something we had to do before we switched to a digital thermostat. When we did our walk through back in 2018 that’s one thing the tech told us that we would have to do it it did not come on and he was right.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
I would lean toward the slide temperature switch on the thermostat. The one comment about sliding the slide back and forth is something we had to do before we switched to a digital thermostat. When we did our walk through back in 2018 that’s one thing the tech told us that we would have to do it it did not come on and he was right.
Yeah that's exactly how mine is working but I am not putting up with that or willing to take the rick of it not starting one trip. Think I'll just replace the thermostat and see if that does anything for it.

As I mentioned earlier I know nothing about HVAC, can I get a thermostat anywhere or is there something specific to RV models. Camping world has them prices from dirt cheap to refinance the unit to buy.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
RPR

This the one we installed. Was same brand as old one and wire color was the same. There are guys on here with a whole lot more knowledge on types and brands than me.

Foot note :got ours from Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
1144E9C9-F02D-4A3D-A7A9-76E6644D296B.jpg  
Old 07-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeade View Post
Ok my knowledge of HVAC ends at the on off switch so forgive me. I read the article you attached. Is that saying this would be normal or that I need to replace my capacitor. I have a hard time thinking this is normal as I've never had one do this prior. If this is the issue would it be correct to assume the unit would start within a short while if just turned on and left alone?
If the capacitor is bad, the motor will not self startup, even if you just leave the power on for a long time.

Now if you reached in and quickly rotated the blades, Most likely it will start up. HOWEVER, that is a dangerous thing to do as you may loose/hurt some digits.

Any motor over 1/8 HP has a starter capacitor. The capacitor holds a charge, kind of like a battery. When the motor is turned on, the capacitor discharges rapidly to give the motor an extra hit of electricity to jump start it.

As for testing the thermostat. It is fairly easy to do without a new thermostat. I suspect your thermostat both controls your furnace and AC unit, which complicates things a little. Pull it off the wall take a good picture of where all the wires are connected. Locate which wires control the AC through the thermostat. Take those two wires, and " jumper" them together. Basically touch the bare wires together to complete the circuit. If the AC starts, it shows you your issue is at the thermostat. If it does not start, you may have a loose wire connection somewhere in the AC system, or a bad starter capacitor.

Hope this helps.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If the capacitor is bad, the motor will not self startup, even if you just leave the power on for a long time.

Now if you reached in and quickly rotated the blades, Most likely it will start up. HOWEVER, that is a dangerous thing to do as you may loose/hurt some digits.

Any motor over 1/8 HP has a starter capacitor. The capacitor holds a charge, kind of like a battery. When the motor is turned on, the capacitor discharges rapidly to give the motor an extra hit of electricity to jump start it.

As for testing the thermostat. It is fairly easy to do without a new thermostat. I suspect your thermostat both controls your furnace and AC unit, which complicates things a little. Pull it off the wall take a good picture of where all the wires are connected. Locate which wires control the AC through the thermostat. Take those two wires, and " jumper" them together. Basically touch the bare wires together to complete the circuit. If the AC starts, it shows you your issue is at the thermostat. If it does not start, you may have a loose wire connection somewhere in the AC system, or a bad starter capacitor.

Hope this helps.
Great suggestion and explanation. I'll give that a try and see what I get.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #16
RPR

If he has this brand thermostat which wires do you suggest he connect?
Attached Thumbnails
0F7FAE79-EFDE-4AC3-85FF-182828D0FF74.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
If he has this brand thermostat which wires do you suggest he connect?
Wire it the same as the one removed. If it's not controlling the furnace just cap the white wire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #18
RPR

I was referring to the instructions given by the other member to by pass the thermostat to check to see if it was the problem.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #19

Quote:
I was referring to the instructions given by the other member to by pass the thermostat to check to see if it was the problem.
Red/yellow/green
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #20

Take the thermostat off the wall, find the location of all the contacts, lightly spray some electronic cleaner (at big box stores) on the contacts and slide them back and forth a few times to clean and lubricate. Please do this with dc and ac power off.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote