Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Your home system has multiple LNBs that is why you can use a switch to use additional receivers. What dish is doing is band stacking so all channels are available on a single cable up to the splitter at the receiver.
Ok, I understand that but dish HD requires multi lnbs to connect to multi sats to get all the channels. I'm assuming that the tailgater is also accessing at least 2 sats [maybe 3] to get full HD reception. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Any one have a tailgater who wants to do the test.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Ok, I understand that but dish HD requires multi lnbs to connect to multi sats to get all the channels. I'm assuming that the tailgater is also accessing at least 2 sats [maybe 3] to get full HD reception. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Any one have a tailgater who wants to do the test.
How the tailgater and other "automatic" satellite dishes work is using a motor to reposition a single LNB to whatever satellite that is streaming the desired channel. This is very different than having 3 or 4 LNBs constantly pointed at all required satellites. When the receiver requests a channel it calls the "switch" in the tailgater or other dish setup and it repositions the reflector under the dome to point at the correct satellite. This is transparent to the user. For instance my Winegard unit (I have a 1518 and an in motion automatic) has two external connections which would allow either two receivers or a dual tuner receiver, however you can only watch two channels on the same satellite because there is only one LNB.

2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
How the tailgater and other "automatic" satellite dishes work is using a motor to reposition a single LNB to whatever satellite that is streaming the desired channel. This is very different than having 3 or 4 LNBs constantly pointed at all required satellites. When the receiver requests a channel it calls the "switch" in the tailgater or other dish setup and it repositions the reflector under the dome to point at the correct satellite. This is transparent to the user. For instance my Winegard unit (I have a 1518 and an in motion automatic) has two external connections which would allow either two receivers or a dual tuner receiver, however you can only watch two channels on the same satellite because there is only one LNB.
Thanks, I like to understand why some things work and others don't.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #14

Ready to Purchase

I am ready to purchase the Tailgater but I am confused just a bit.

Most of the units I see advertised come with the ViP211K receiver and everyone says this is what is required.

At Camping World, they advertise the Tailgater bundle with a Solo ViPz receiver.

What is the difference?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #15

We have the 'K'...the 'Z' is the latest new version.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #16

My parents have had theirs for a couple years now and love it. They are in their first year of fulltiming with their 5er. Very simple setup, face unit south, plug in coax cable, turn on box inside, enter zip code of CG and in about 5 minutes, TV is up and running. If you traveled outside your home area, you have to call dish to tell them where you are and they will adjust the locals so you get local to your location, as if you are too far from home the locals shut off.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin21 View Post
I am ready to purchase the Tailgater but I am confused just a bit.

Most of the units I see advertised come with the ViP211K receiver and everyone says this is what is required.

At Camping World, they advertise the Tailgater bundle with a Solo ViPz receiver.

What is the difference?
ViP211Z is the upgraded one, as was stated. Dish made the Tailgater to work best with the ViP211 series receiver. plug and play, easy setup. Sold a few, folks say they work great. Just don't drop the tailgater... had a few drive off with the system still on the roof of their ice houses and wanted me to replace them.

John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote