Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2024, 04:39 AM   #21

You may have already done this, but I would get an obd scanner and see what codes are set. The fact that it is a repeating cycle of lights makes me think it is a computer issue. You probably have an engine control computer and may have a separate body control computer. The fact that the lights are flashing in a cycle indicates that the problem is not a fuse.
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM   #22
Site Team

The light on the dash that looks like a lock and half a vehicle is the indicator that the passive anti-theft system has activated.

Short of the main computer/PCM being bad, I would check under the dash for ANY bad grounds or harness connections. There are wire harnesses that move some when the steering wheel is tilted back and forth.

The other obvious items are lousy battery connections, or fuses having to do with the ignition interlock. Check fuses with an OHM meter, and visually inspect the fuse terminals. Short of that, it's time to get it to a Ford dealer to diagnose.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:56 PM   #23
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksnestsc View Post
Ford won't touch it because it is an RV. I have heard this excuse over and over while at home and on the road.
You need to find a Ford dealer that works on the larger trucks like the 550 and 650. They will have a shop big enough to fit an RV into and work on it. The dealerships that don’t handle the bigger trucks won’t touch RV’s because they tend not to have room for them and don’t want to deal with the cab and chassis versions.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:38 AM   #24

I had the same issue with my F53 chassis motor home Ford wouldn't look at it or the dealer so had to take to an independent truck shop
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM   #25

Just a note related to what I have encountered that could be related. My E450 is older so keep that in mind but there is still a lot in common.

Once in a while mine would display the "Lock" on the dashboard and if I remember correctly the odometer would not display properly. I discovered the cause was related to having an OBD2 device plugged into the OBD port. I have 2 one wifi only, and the other bluetooth/wifi (both cheap generic devices) and the issue would occur with either unit at times. If I would turn the key back off and remove the device I could then start the engine and could re-insert the adapter device and it would work fine. I don't know, but suspect newer E450 may start and just not allow shifting out of park, mine wouldn't start so I never tried shifting out of park.

Also, I have a bad battery now and I can "aux start boost" start it, I have been waiting for springtime to replace it. Using this start method would at times lead to a flashing dash and perhaps some other noticeable things that I don't remember (I may be able to recreate this as I still have that battery installed). However, if I fully charged the battery (which it will not hold a charge) and then started the engine the dash lights may or may not flash, but when connected to a good battery via jumper cables the dash would never flash. I plan to replace the battery soon, and I am confident the bad battery is causing the dash to flash (when it does), at least on mine, perhaps other reasons for other year models.

Last item, in my internet search related to the flashing dash, I discovered that there is a test mode for the dash. The way to do it is to hold the odometer \ trip button on the dash in and then turn the key on, hold it until "test" shows up in the message odometer section. At that point all of the gauges will go from the lowest to the highest and the dash trip button can cycle through many tests. (all the tests on mine showed no issues though and perhaps later year models can't do this test anyway, so just fyi).

I remember now why I searched and did this test, it was because I had a full tank of fuel and the fuel gauge only indicated about 1/2 a tank, and in that time frame I remember the dash was flashing but not bright dash to off, more like dim dash to dimmer. I also determined that this problem was with the bad battery that I still need to replace and will do so before I use the RV this spring.

Anyway just thoughts to share that I believe are good to know, whether they apply to newer E450's I don't know but suspect a bad battery certainly could cause many issues. Even a low battery, but as long as it can charge back up and hold a charge, then with a fully charged battery even on mine doesn't have any issues (except still the obd2 adapter once in a while if I leave it plugged in). ~CA