Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2022, 07:50 AM   #1

Water filtration

What does anyone suggest for a water filtration system? And where did you plumb it inside your RV? We have a seasonal site and we are using the camco blue filter on the water line now but if I take the hose of the camper the screen has a black slime that plugs it up every couple weekends of use. The filter is new and the hose was new at the beginning of the season. Before I noticed the black slime we used the water to make coffee and it tasted horrible. We are now bringing 10 gallons of water from our house for our dogs and our coffee pot but getting sick of lugging two jugs every week. Thanks for any suggestions
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #2

We are using the Clearsource 3 stage system. Best decision I made on water filtration.
I also use the clear canisters so I can see what the filters are doing.

https://www.clearsourcerv.com/collec...-filter-system

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #3

A filtration system like described above is a good choice. In addition, I would get the water tested. There might be something else you could do.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
we are using the camco blue filter on the water line

Absolutely - get that water tested!!! You may find out you want to keep the Camco filter in addition to adding a filtration system.

Until you do the test, you don't know what you're trying to filter out! If it's particles, that's one approach, If it's chemicals, you need a different approach. If it's bacteria, etc...

At the highest level, you've can "screen" stuff out, or you can use Reverse Osmosis. Or, you may need to do both. Finally, you might need to do a UV sterilization phase.

Maybe I'm overreacting - but black sludge would freak me out enough that I'd sure as hell get that water tested -- now.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
We have a seasonal site and we are using the camco blue filter on the water line now but if I take the hose of the camper the screen has a black slime that plugs it up every couple weekends of use.
I'm thinking you better have a talk with your seasonal site manager. Unhooking the inlet hose from the site water supply to the camper shouldn't show any slime or black in your inlet screen filter. You can try to filter this water, to make it good, but it's going to be a losing proposition. it's your sites responsibility to furnish good water.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Just a question, but do you flush out the filter before hooking it to the camper? We use the same filters, and when I hook up a hose to it, I turn on the spigot and black charcoal residue (dust?) flows out for a few seconds, then I hook it to the trailer. Didn't flush one out once, and the DW turned on the kitchen faucet to black water. It took a while until it cleared out of the plumbing. Needless to say, she was an unhappy camper that day!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #7

Where would I get the water tested ? Do they sell kits to test water through camping sites? Yes I ran 3-4 gallons through the filter to get the charcoal residue out of it. Thanks for all the help
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote