Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

2014 Cherokee and X17Z, WDH, Tongue Weight...

Essentially another 'can I tow it?'. I know. Great first post

Anyway, we went to the CAT scale today. Assuming I did everything right, the x17z supposedly has a tongue weight of 620 with LP, battery, and loaded. I've seen somewhere that someone had a similar TW, which is really interesting seeing the trailer is 3500lbs.

The Cherokee can pull this fine. Barely breaks a sweat with the factory tow package. We've got a WDH, and here's where I've got questions.

Class III hitches are rated for 500lb TW, 5000 tow weight without a WDH. With a WDH those numbers double to 1000TW/10,000 tow (from what I've read).

The Cherokee - NOT A GRAND - has a TW max of 450lbs without a WDH. I cannot, for the life of me, find any info on what the TW capacity is for the vehicle when using a WDH. It's obviously more than 450lbs... but nobody has a clue. The dealer didn't have info. The parts guy spend 20 minutes trying to help to no avail.

So, would we be idiots towing the x17z with my Cherokee due to TW issues, or do you think the WDH will make it ok?

The Cherokee and trailer are level when hooked up. The deal did a good job with that setup.

Thanks!

Jayshaw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayshaw91,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayshaw91 View Post
snip.......The Cherokee - NOT A GRAND - has a TW max of 450lbs without a WDH. I cannot, for the life of me, find any info on what the TW capacity is for the vehicle when using a WDH. It's obviously more than 450lbs... but nobody has a clue. The dealer didn't have info. The parts guy spend 20 minutes trying to help to no avail.....snip
Unfortunately the 450b maximum tongue weight (from Cherokee Owners Manual) that you are referencing is just that, the maximum tongue with or without a WDH. I believe you will find that your Owners Manual doesn't distinguish between Weight Carrying and Weight Distribution in the Trailer Towing Weight specifications....., all weights specified are maximum.

It also explains why there isn't any available documentation sighting a Weight Distribution tongue weight value (W/WDH).

Also, please keep in mind that the Owners Manual Trailer Towing Weights trumps your OEM receiver weight ratings.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

On both of my trucks there was a sticker on the hitch that listed max tongue weight. I had crawl under the trucks to find it. Not sure it the Jeep has the same thing.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

that tongue weight is over the max recommend of 15%, if you re-balance the load in trailer and get down to the 12 to 13% for tongue weight you be right at the max for your hitch.

On my trucks a WD hitch is not required until you go over pulling 5,000# your hitch might not be built to take a WD hitich. What's in the manual about towing?
Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum!
I bought a Sherline 2000 trailer scale and recently checked the tongue weight at the ball coupler and it was 495-500 lbs. loaded. This included full propane tanks, battery, spare tire, and power Jack. We don't carry any water and generally pack light. Your tongue weight seems a little high but you may be storing more in your x17z then we are.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

I think we're packed pretty light, but that's opinion, I guess. I could be wrong.

I just read the 'how to' guide for weighing your vehicle. That's not at all how we did it. We disconnected the trailer from the TV and put the tongue on the first plate, and the trailer was on the second plate. We took the weight off of the first plate as our tongue weight. Was that completely wrong?

If so, it looks like another trip to the CAT is in order.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

that will be close, did you add the weight from both scale pads together to get your total weight of 3500?

I ask because if the rear was 3500 you add the tongue weight to that for a total trailer weight of 4150 and 15% of that is close to your tongue weight of 620.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayshaw91 View Post
snip...... Was that completely wrong?........snip
No..., that will give you a pretty good representation of your tongue weight.

Just a FYI, CAT Scales have 40lb plus/minus tolerance.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback, folks. This sucks. We bought the Cherokee and the X17Z thinking it'd work. I guess I can thank the trailer salesman for that one. I told him the tongue weight we were working with and he told me I'd be fine.

I have no idea how this thing has a 620lb tongue weight.

Seeing this is way over tongue weight and there isn't really much we can remove from the camper, I guess I'm buying a new vehicle. Wonderful.

Pots and pans (light stuff, not cast iron), PLASTIC plates and bowls, four camper chairs (bagged ones), a handful of tools - really, some lights, a cheap coffee maker, silverware, and a mattress pad is about all that's in the camper. There's more, but it isn't a lot. Like I said, that's not much. I don't know how you travel with less.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #10

Can you shift weight rear of the wheels of the TT? It will remove weight from the tongue.

You could also add more stuff and put it rear of wheels. While it will increase total weight it will remove tongue weight.