Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #21

I tow a 28DSBH with a Dodge Durango. Got the trailer last year, at which time I had a '14 Durango v6, which is rated for 6200lbs. The trailer dry weight is 5840 - cutting it very close I know. We only used it a couple of times close to home and drove 2 vehicles to keep the weight down. It actually pulled very, very well.

Yesterday, I picked up a 2018 Durango w/ a 5.7l Hemi - rated for 7200lbs, and we're doing a 3 week trip to Alberta from Ontario in July. Looking forward to it, and have all the confidence I need to know it's a good and safe towing combo.
dslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #22

I thought I would give an update after two years of using the trailer.

- We spent 99 nights in the trailer.
- Average price per night $38 (only the first campground was full hook ups, the rest only boon docking).
- Total distance traveled with the trailer ca. 14k miles.
- So far only one significant failure with the trailer - wheel bearings. Fortunately, close to civilization. I am just changing all bearings to Timken.
- Solar / lithium batteries / inverter work great.
- BMW X5 tows great!

Getting ready for a camping trip.

Yosemite, Wawona

New Brighton Beach
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #23

Impressive.

We are looking to purchase a new trailer and we have a F150. Our last trailer was within “normal” towing specs for the truck (6,500lbs loaded and 29 feet tongue to bumper). We were always maxed out on payload a RAWR, but had an Andersen WDH. We never had a sway event and the Andersen kept the trailer and truck as one (meaning if a semi or gust of wind came up the entire set up moved as one). The only complaint I had was getting pushed around every once in a while. I just assumed a heavier truck would solve the problem? Now I’m looking at trailers no bigger than the last one to stay safe. Do you get pushed around because of the short wheel base and lighter SUV? Actually, what is the weight of your BMW? Thanks.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #24

I am not being pushed. It is not about the weight of the tow vehicle or wheelbase. The most important things are the link between the tow vehicle and the trailer (hitch) and proper weight distribution. I do not want to start the fight here with trucks owners, therefore, I will stop here.

I believe X5 is around 4,800-5,000 lbs. I would need to find the CAT scale tickets.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #25

I am receiving priv questions about my towing experience with BMW X5 and 28DSBH. Yesterday I was coming back from campground and I thought I would film when I am being taken over by a larger truck. 60 mph on cruise control. There is not much to correct on the steering wheel - you can notice that I may need to correct very gently to the left. Basically, I can almost leave the steering wheel free.

https://youtu.be/slIqVsGuIn8
Old 11-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #26

bono...my Tundra did that exact same thing when trucks passed or I passed them. A very slight pull of the entire rig, truck and trailer. Once I got into the big diesel truck I figured I wouldn't feel that...well I still do but it's ever so slight. Gotta love these ProPride hitches! Towing with one hand resting easily on the wheel is so nice!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #27

I recognize that X5! Good to see you here on this forum also.

So to supplement bono on the X5d and how well she tows I'll submit my pic below of our 22RB while at a race weekend. While not as long I can go faster....
Attached Thumbnails
20181103_100306.jpg  
rbreding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #28

Hello, good to see you here! I hope you are not racing with the trailer attached
Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am receiving priv questions about my towing experience with BMW X5 and 28DSBH. Yesterday I was coming back from campground and I thought I would film when I am being taken over by a larger truck. 60 mph on cruise control. There is not much to correct on the steering wheel - you can notice that I may need to correct very gently to the left. Basically, I can almost leave the steering wheel free.

https://youtu.be/slIqVsGuIn8

That’s just a short box truck. I would expect little to no impact by those. How does it do when a tractor trailer goes by?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #30

The impact is the same with longer semis, i.e. basically no impact. To be honest I don't understand why there would be a difference. The push from the other vehicles depends on the front area of the vehicles which are passing you not their length (larger area, more air they are pushing). At least this is my understanding.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #31

28DSBH with BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
The impact is the same with longer semis, i.e. basically no impact. To be honest I don't understand why there would be a difference. The push from the other vehicles depends on the front area of the vehicles which are passing you not their length (larger area, more air they are pushing). At least this is my understanding.

The pushing effect may very well be the same but a tractor trailer can cause a pulling effect as it passes if it’s close enough to the vehicle it’s passing...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #32

The bottom line is that regardless whether this is a long tractor trailer or the truck with high box the effect is the same, i.e. I am not being pushed or sucked.

The link you provided explains this more less - truck / semi pushing the air in front creates low pressure behind the box or trailer. This is not depended on the length, but the front area. Therefore, I do not understand your assumption that in the case of the short box truck there should not be this effect and in the case of long tractor trailers there should be.

For completeness I will record passing semi next time I am on the highway. Caveat, I will not try to record the effect of low flying planes, helicopters, etc.

The only reason I am doing this is just to show other people who are potentially interested in utilizing similar TV/TT that the experience is not even close to what the "internet experts" are claiming. I was told that I will be sucked by semis, I was told that I will have white knuckles all the time, etc. It's been ca. 14k towing miles and none of that was the case. The combo is stable, well planted.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #33

I apologize if I came off as questioning your setup or results and made you feel like you had to defend your setup. That wasn’t my intention. I did comment out of curiosity and appreciate your thread. A longer large vehicle can have a greater affect on nearby vehicles than a shorter one but it didn’t mean it always will. It’s good to know you don’t experience such issues.

My kids are still quite young but I have wondered what my camping scenario may be down the road when they have grown and start doing their own things and living their own lives. I won’t need a camper my current size nor a truck my current size when their all grown. I would probably want a small size suv like you and would wonder what I could tow. So again I appreciate threads like this that can shed some light. Have a great day!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #34

An update after 5 years and a few days of ownership. The towing is still amazing. No issues whatsoever. We average 50-60 nights at campgrounds per year.

Last week we broke the leaf spring when hitting a terrible pothole in Arizona on the way back from Grand canyon to California. The leaf spring was upgraded to 2600 lbs, but even so it was badly damaged.

Other than that great towing experience.
Attached Thumbnails
20210907_185445.jpg   20210907_214414.jpg  
Old 09-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #35

28DSBH with BMW X5

I do think that people who have issues simply have something set up wrong. While I dont have a trailer that big I do occasionally tow my 24’ with my Lexus GX and it does great. Even in some strong crosswinds on I-80 in Wyoming doing 70 mph the thing was just fine.

In the curvy mountain passes here in Utah, my GX actually handles the trailer better than my supercrew long bed F150. It doesn’t feel like its being pushed through the corner.

The only thing I dont like about the smaller GX is the lack of fuel capacity and the lack of power. Its a 4.6L V8, but with the 6500+’ of elevation, head winds and heat we get here in Utah, it does not have the HP/Torque to tow comfortably.

If my GX had some more power and bigger fuel tank I would prefer towing with it.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Specifically recall that thread and I am glad to see you are back with an update based on actual experience. I was bashed and called many of the same names by some of the same "experts" because I was and still tow a 28BHBE with a "half-ton" but the number of times that you got called names with the reciprocal congratulations on the great name calling by the ignorant posters in 2 days was a record that the silent majority of knowledgeable JOF members were embarrassed about. Great to hear some actual experience with a similar TT, rather than the repeated disaster myths of the neighbour's brother-in-laws' sisters' cousin towing that same trailer.

Your post highlights the importance of being aware of the actual weights and weight ratings of your TV and TT and the knowledge to set up your hitch properly can make for a safe towing experience.

Happy Camping.
This post actually gives me some relief. I just purchased a Jayfeather 27BHB and have a 2022 Sierra 1500 with a tow package. I was a little concerned, even though all the numbers are within limits. Did you do anything like install upgraded suspension in the half ton? Or is it just factory? Again, thanks for posting.
USCcruisecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:22 AM   #37

Over 45k towing miles with BMW X5 towing 2017 28DSBH. Great experience. Over Memorial weekend we went from California to Grand Canyon. I recorded this video on the way back home in Arizona - rock solid stable combo in a fairly strong cross-wind and semis are doing 75+ mph, when I drove 63 mph on cruise control. Two fingers driving.

https://youtu.be/cPqp2ZnwBOk