Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

checking cold psi before trip

Yesterday I checked all my TT tires and found all of them including the spare to be 57 to 58 psi. My last trip was in Oct and the psi was checked and set at the max 65psi for my tires. Temps then were in the 60's and 70's and yesterday it was around 30 when I checked them. Since all were down about the same, I do not suspect a leak but think the drop is because of the 30 to 40 degree in temp when they were last adjusted. I expected them to be down a little but not this much.

My question is how much can I expect the psi to increase when they warm up after 50 miles and as I travel hopefully into warmer weather? I will check them at the first potty stop. I'm guessing that the winter cold psi is an example of how pressure is effected by lower temps,
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I have seen as much as 6-7 psi increase traveling from PA leaving in the 20's and arriving in Florida in the 70's.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Tire manufacturers design their tires and pressure specifications with the idea that tire pressure increases as they are used on the road. The important thing is to set your cold tire pressure at the proper level. If it rises from, say, 65 when cold to 75 after use on a hot day in the sun, that is normal and expected; the pressure should not be adjusted.

If you drive from Nantuck, Alaska with a daytime temperature of -20F to an area of daytime temperatures in the 100's, then some adjustment might be needed. But in general if the cold tire pressure is adjusted in the morning before use to the proper level, all will be well.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Tire manufacturers design their tires and pressure specifications with the idea that tire pressure increases as they are used on the road. The important thing is to set your cold tire pressure at the proper level. If it rises from, say, 65 when cold to 75 after use on a hot day in the sun, that is normal and expected; the pressure should not be adjusted.

If you drive from Nantuck, Alaska with a daytime temperature of -20F to an area of daytime temperatures in the 100's, then some adjustment might be needed. But in general if the cold tire pressure is adjusted in the morning before use to the proper level, all will be well.
Thanks, kind of what I was thinking. Where I'm going, hi's probably won't get over 60 but I'll check when I get there to see how much increase I get from cold to nominal temp of 60.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Using a TPMS is wonderful. It also shows you how the tire pressures change with temperature and load. I usually see about 10psi rise from cold to normal driving temperatures. I can also tell which tires are loaded more than the others.

YES, going from hot to cold will change the pressure quite a bit. Always check when cold to make sure they are at mfgs recommended settings. When you check them after and hour on the road they will be higher.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #6

I once drove about 5 miles, local traffic, 40 mph max, and the psi went up about 3 psi.
The air temperature was 70 or so........

If you check the psi before departing, then check again after driving just about any distance, you'll be able to determine how much the psi climbs in warmed-up tires...
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

Elevation plays a bigger role than temperature when psi is concerned.
Lower elevations showing lower pressures.
I've been from 80°f to 30°f in one trip with a few psi difference.
I've been from 1200 ft elevation to 9000 ft elevation in just a few hours with negligible temperature change and 8 to 10 psi increase.

Also, nitrogen filled = scam.
Pressure swings are consistent.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Elevation plays a bigger role than temperature when psi is concerned.
Lower elevations showing lower pressures.
I've been from 80°f to 30°f in one trip with a few psi difference.
I've been from 1200 ft elevation to 9000 ft elevation in just a few hours with negligible temperature change and 8 to 10 psi increase.

Also, nitrogen filled = scam.
Pressure swings are consistent.
nitrogen isn't as SCAM.. oh wait 78% of the air you breath is ........

20.8% is O2... which makes up 99% of the air...

I think they sell blinker fluid too... ;o)

I thought the change was about 1lb for every 10 degrees...which puts you in the ball park...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote