Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post

I think there is a valid point of the individual design requiring greater maintenance dollars: the Honda minivan requires replacement of the timing belt, an expensive visit for maintenance in my opinion due to poor design (why not use a timing chain?).
Great overall post! You said much of what I was thinking.

I do want to answer your question. There are a few reasons they use a belt and not a chain. Honda makes the smoothest running engines of anyone. Part of the reason is that they don't use a chain. Also a belt is that much less weight. Honda's for the most part are at the top or close to the top in fuel efficiency for each class of vehicle they compete in. So every little bit of weight savings is important to the design.

Finally it's expensive to replace the belt and has to be done something like every 60k because they are interference engines. An interference engine is called that because the pistons are allowed to move into the space that an open valve would occupy. Just not when the valve is open. If the belt breaks, or if the belt is installed improperly the pistons can hit the valves, and well, guess how much a new Honda engine costs...

That said, the Cadillac CTS and Lambda platform use interference engines too.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

That's a good story OP, and I'm glad you were happy with the repair. But I'm afraid I'm missing something; what about this BCM is unique to a diesel?

Sure, there is the possibility that just because it's a diesel, the very same (or significantly similar) BCM might cost you more than a comparable 1/2 ton (right or wrong, it just is sometimes). A BCM is a BCM, not much difference between the BCMs (there are multiples) on my Sierra 1500 and the one on a 2500 or 3500 (diesel or gas).

So I ask; what am I missing?

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #13

DocBrown:

Interesting engine education on the Honda - something I didn't know.

It brings to mind something else: mechanical things are more efficient and reliable than ever. This is clear to those of us of a "certain age." On the other hand, mechanical things are much more complex than they used to be. So, it is not surprising that they cost more to fix when they do break.

Perfection is elusive!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Total cost of ownership includes a few things that often get overlooked.
You can take a 15 year view including the end of life selling price for the diesel truck against a 10 year life including end of life selling price and you will discover that the diesel did pretty well.

Cost of ownership should also include finance charges if they exist. The other day I read that the average payment in the USA is about $425.00/month and if that same amount was put in a RothIRA from age 30 to 70 you would have 5 million dollars.

Keeping a truck for as long as it's possible will pay big in the end.
Must be a Ramsey fan.....I am.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

My experience with my diesel is yes it cost more for maintenance but it is worth it to me ... mostly 100.00 for an oil change with synthetic when I do it myself ,but all vehicles cost money to maintain .... I have heard of a number of duramaxes needing injectors but a guy at the diesel stop told me the problem is that they need a 2micron filter system in the usa .... over in the area where they are built they don't because their diesel is strained more than here so if I ever got a duramax I would definetly do what it took to filter it right
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #16

oh by the way I have a 1995 f 350 ford with the 7.3
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

Diesel Repair Expensive?

oh go this old thing again, i know a guy who knows a guy that had a cummins that needed lots of repairs, or a honda that went 5 million miles on 1 oil change and didnt need anything

at the end of the day they are all just mechanical devices that suffer from problems at 1 point in their life, be it small or large, they are all made by humans and humans make mistakes, could be a bad casting on a part cause the temp was 1 degree warmer then it needs to be when they made the part and that developed a hairline crack that over the years made it break.

i know people that have the infamous 7.3 with nothing but issues, but everyone says they are the best diesel since the invention of diesels, i also know people that are in the shop once a month with their tundra that they told me was the best truck ever,

so after all this ranting, just go drive **** till you find what fits the bill
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #18

I've owned an '05 Ram 3500 diesel (bought used) for 6 years. In that time, there's never been a wrench laid on the engine, and only a leaking tail shaft seal replaced in the transmission. But the other stuff that can go wrong on a gas or diesel truck..............well that's another story. It's been a nickel and dime ownership experience. Front brakes and rotors at 44000 miles, front sway bar links and bushings, a power steering pump that grenaded while driving, and most recently a bizarre electrical system problem that was cured by replacing all the battery cables (They were over $300 from Dodge, couldn't find any exact fit aftermarket equivalents).
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Must be a Ramsey fan.....I am.
LOL - "live like no one else"

We are officially BS 5,4,6. Last loan I took was for my first TT before we saw the light. Been a cash only family since.

Guess I am able wonder off topic in my own thread.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
But I'm afraid I'm missing something; what about this BCM is unique to a diesel
You are not missing anything, I just wanted to share my experience with my first trip to the shop with my Diesel. I have no idea if the BCM in my truck is specific to a diesel or if it is just like the BCM in every other truck gas or diesel.

My point was to simply share the cost associated with my first issue with a diesel truck. Everytime the discussion comes up gas vs diesel many folks are so quick to point out how much more a diesel truck is to repair when compared to a gasser. I didn't find this particular repair to be so expensive that is should sway someone away from one engine type of another. I can only share what my experience is.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote