Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

I need new tires.

I knew this before I decided to get the new Jayco 26BH, but I don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling towing this TT with the current tires.

My F150 currently has P275/65R18 tires and I could just replace them with the same tire.

I'm looking at the possibility of switching to BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires.

My question is what would be the positives or negatives of changing to LT tires on an F150?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I knew this before I decided to get the new Jayco 26BH, but I don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling towing this TT with the current tires.

My F150 currently has P275/65R18 tires and I could just replace them with the same tire.

I'm looking at the possibility of switching to BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires.

My question is what would be the positives or negatives of changing to LT tires on an F150?
No negatives in my opinion unless you're adamant on having your truck ride like a luxury car........of course we're running E-rated tires on all of our vehicles including my little Tacoma.

On my '08 Tundra it handled and towed much better when I switched from P to D-rate tires. The ride difference was minimal.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
No negatives in my opinion unless you're adamant on having your truck ride like a luxury car........of course we're running E-rated tires on all of our vehicles including my little Tacoma.

On my '08 Tundra it handled and towed much better when I switched from P to D-rate tires. The ride difference was minimal.
I'm glad to hear that.

The max pressure on the tires I'm looking at is 80 psi but I don't see needing to ever go that high with my current set up.

What PSI do you run your LT tires at, and do have any issues with the tire pressure monitoring system in your TV? I don't know if the TPMS is going to give me warning lights running at a higher PSI.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

I don't know Ford vehicles but can you reprogram the TPMS? I don't think I have ever seen a system that warns on too much tire pressure. They are normally set to warn when the drop to a certain level. I know with my VCDS I can reprogram the warning limit or disable the system but that only works on VW and Audi cars and trucks. I don't know of a way of changing it on our GMC or Subaru.

Someone was on here in the thread talking about OBD2 scanner saying there is a system for newer Fords where you can change settings through the software kind of like VCDS. I don't know what you can or cannot change though.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I don't know Ford vehicles but can you reprogram the TPMS? I don't think I have ever seen a system that warns on too much tire pressure. They are normally set to warn when the drop to a certain level. I know with my VCDS I can reprogram the warning limit or disable the system but that only works on VW and Audi cars and trucks. I don't know of a way of changing it on our GMC or Subaru.

Someone was on here in the thread talking about OBD2 scanner saying there is a system for newer Fords where you can change settings through the software kind of like VCDS. I don't know what you can or cannot change though.
I did some research on this beforehand. I don't know for sure if the system would give a high pressure warning or not.

I do know that it "can" be reprogrammed. In fact, the process is pretty simple, but from what I read it takes specialized equipment. The problem is finding someone who is willing to do it. From what I read, dealerships say that they aren't allowed to reprogram that system.

I'm sure my son-in-law could do it since he is a superstar mechanic down around Montgomery, Alabama.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

I have 275/65R20 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 on my 2014 F150 SuperCab, these were an excellent upgrade for my truck. The sidewalls are sturdier, the tread pattern is great in slippery driving conditions, but not noisy whatsoever. When not towing, I run 40 psi, I add 10 psi when I do tow.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng45ine View Post
I have 275/65R20 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 on my 2014 F150 SuperCab, these were an excellent upgrade for my truck. The sidewalls are sturdier, the tread pattern is great in slippery driving conditions, but not noisy whatsoever. When not towing, I run 40 psi, I add 10 psi when I do tow.
Ah, that is good news. I'll bet those cost a chunk of change.

No problems with the TPMS then, right?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Here is the post I was talking about recently. I guess it is something called FORScan.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...tml#post527798

As I said every vehicle is different in what can be tweaked and I agree that the dealer is often not willing to be liable to custom tweak settings. The same thing goes for VW/Audi and I was doing things for people all the time that they wouldn't do.

I am not sure if bansai has the FORScan yet but maybe he knows if tire pressure can be tweaked. Here is a link to the program if you want to try it. FORScan Link It just needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter which you can get off Amazon. He was saying don't spend more than $20-30 on one. Personally I would consider one a bit more but maybe that website will recommend which to use.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

My F150 came with P-rated tires and when it came time for new tires I upgraded to a Michelin LTX MS2 LT tire. Had some problems getting accurate inflation recommendation for LT tires. I use what is recommended for the F150 Heavy Duty Payload Package trucks which come factory with LT tires and recommend 48 PSI on the door sticker.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Ah, that is good news. I'll bet those cost a chunk of change.

No problems with the TPMS then, right?
Quality tires are pricy, I believe I paid around $1250 at Discount Tire which included their warranty certificates.

No issues at all with TPMS!
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #11

LT tires should perform well on your F150. My 05 Had them and it towed great. Stiffer sidewalls help a lot with flex and drift while towing heavier campers. Michelin is my brand of choice. I've always had good luck with them. I've also had good luck with GY's. Had two sets that lasted about 65K. If your truck is lifted, then I'd say yeah to the KO 2's. But Michelin Defender LTX M/S's are a tad cheaper believe it or not and will ride better, with less noise. 50K tread warranty as well. KO 2's do not carry a tread warranty. GY also makes a Wrangler A/T with Kevlar that are reasonable as well. Just harder to find.

Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng45ine View Post
Quality tires are pricy, I believe I paid around $1250 at Discount Tire which included their warranty certificates.

No issues at all with TPMS!
I had no problems with TPMS on my 2010, but I do know that the 2010 system is not compatible with the TPMS sensors for 2015+. The F150's come with LT tires so the TPMS system will definitely work with the increased pressure required by LT tires, but I am not sure whether the system needs to be reprogrammed for the newer F150's.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #13

Also check:

Michelin LTX A/T 2 (my current tire on my F350) 60K mi. warranty
Michelin LTX M/S 2 (different tread than the A/T) 70K mi. warranty
Hankook Dynapro (no tread warranty)
General Grabber AT2 LT (no tread warranty)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Ford TPMS sensors will program with any size tire.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

My truck came with the lousy P rated Pirelli Scorpion tires, and that was on a MaxTow rated to 11,100lbs towing and 1700lbs payload. They were taken off promptly as the towing was mushy even with a lighter trailer and they sucked in the snow and I thought they looked dumb especially on a long wheelbase crew cab.

I put Goodyear Duratracs in 285/60/20 on mine, Load Range E. I couldn't be happier. I run them at 50psi all the time and occasionally on long trips or when we have more gear I air the rears up to 60psi. I think the rubber valve stems max out at 65psi, so keep that in mind. Your rims will also have a max pressure rating.

The TPMS has not cared about my higher running pressures. The truck rides beautifully, tows solidly and looks badass.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #16

If you want a little more aggressive tire that's great on the road, I'm on my second set of Cooper S/T Maxx tires on my Tacoma, I got 58,000 miles out of the first set and still could have safely gone past 60k miles.

We also are running them on our FJ and will eventually have them on the 2500HD.

In my previous life I was sponsored a few times by big tire manufacturers for off-road events and have also ran just about every M/T & A/T tire out there and the Cooper's are hands down my favorite dual-purpose tires (on & off road duty). They're quiet, great in the rain, great in the snow.

Previous tires on both vehicles were Duratrac's, I said it prior to them, but this time I mean it, I'll never run another set of Goodyear tires.

I've also ran BFG M/T TKO's, Toyo Open Country M/T's, Hankook M/T's, GY MTR w/ Kevlar, BFG A/T, Michelin ATX & LTX.

Here's my little Tundra that most of the tires were ran on (I tended to push tire to the max) -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post

I have a silverado 1500 and switched to LT tires. My system warns over 55 PSI. I had contacted Michelin to find out what tire pressure to run the lt tires at based on the trucks fully loaded weight and they informed me I would need to be at 55psi. I run at 53 right now to keep the warning messages at bay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
quantum743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #18

Just got a new set put on my Yukon, these are some of the best AT tires out there.
3 daughters and a 75lb black lab.

JerryMathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the input folks. I'll be dropping my truck off this afternoon to have the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2s put on.

Based on all of the reviews I read on this tire, it's a good one.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #20

I think she looks pretty good with the new tires.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1405.jpg