Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #21

As everyone mentioned previously you are balancing trailer length and payload. I would recommend looking at the Pro-Pride Hitch. Yes it is expensive, but it will solve all your problems and make your towing experience a breeze.

1. It mechanically eliminates sway. This takes the wheelbase and length discussion away as it physically cannot sway when towing down the road. Problem 1 solved.

2. It will give you flexibility in loading your trailer to be between the 10%-15% and also not worry about weight shifting when you have black/gray tanks full vs fresh water full. Plus you can move some of your gear to the back to lighten the tongue weight if you are running into d payload issues (within reason as you still want to hit a minimum hitch weight of 10%).

But, even still, with at hitch weight starting above 800lbs, you will most likely be above 1000lbs when loaded so you will just have to play the packing game and CAT scale to confirm everything.

Eric
E_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #22

My 2020 Ram Rebel has similar capacities and I loved the white hawk 29bh. It was a tad outside my comfort zone mostly because it was a new expensive truck and I want to keep it for a long time. Plus I was new to towing and didn’t want to push it right away. I wanted the white hawk 24 with the Murphy bed, wife wanted the 29bh. We compromised on the Jay Feather 27 Bhb. Saved 2 feet and saved about 500-1000 pounds. Year later not the thinking about it, very happy. The closet would have been nice and we don’t camp in the winter yet so the fireplace was not a big deal. I did like the windows on that white hawk though.
Wyka2020RVlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If you tow in the mountains, stick to interstate freeways. They are required to have no more than a 6% grade. [...]
That's the problem when speaking in absolutes -- there is always some jerk like me to come along with the exception. . The Ike Gauntlet, which is a federal interstate (I-70 from Denver to the Eisenhower Tunnel), has grades of 7% and an altitude of 11,200'. That's a brutal combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
"Payload Notes: Maximum capabilities shown are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver. Weight of additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo must be deducted from this weight"
You are conflating the marketing-derived "Maximum Payload" possible on a vehicle (mythical number) with the actual payload on a given vehicle. The former is, as mentioned, a derived number solely for marketing purposes and represents a lowest trim level with zero options + a small driver. It's intended to inflate the capability of the vehicle. The latter number, found on a vehicle's door jamb sticker, is the available payload remaining as the vehicle rolled off the assembly line: GVWR - GVW = Payload Number on the Sticker.

There is no driver allotment for payload; all occupants, including the driver, count fully against the payload rating of a specific vehicle as indicated by that vehicle's door jamb sticker.

Everything from the driver, to bigger wheels and tires, to the big mac you just picked up at the drive through will count against that printed payload number.

OP has a bunkhouse trailer, so I assume at least 4 people. He says occupants are 500 lbs. That's reasonable for medium to slim folks (e.g., dad 180, mom 120, kid 100, kid 100).

Cargo is missing from the value. WDH is at least 50 lbs. Duffel bags, Line-X bed liner, aftermarket stereo gear, grille guard, aux lights, wood in the bed, bikes in the bed, leveling equipment in the bed, pets, food, electronics, etc. After you sneeze, there is suddenly 150 lbs of random stuff in/on the truck. So, 150 lbs of stuff + 50 lbs of WDH = 200 lbs

Cargo + Occupants = 700 lbs. And that's right in the sweet spot of the inevitable range of 600 - 1000 lbs of occupants + cargo for family camping.

Trailer weighs 8,500 lbs. 13% on the hitch = 1,100 lbs. (Good rule of thumb is that your trailer will weigh the lightest of GVWR or Dry Weight + 1,500 lbs. Outside of toy haulers and 5ers, this typically ends up being GVWR. After all of the factory options, dealer installed options, and the stuff people put in/on the trailer, GVWR is the number that should be used in any "can I tow it" conversations.)

1,100 + 700 = 1,800 lbs. The 29BH is too much trailer for your truck, or, at the least, you'll be forever fighting weight. Your kids better not grow, nobody gets to bring a friend, no bikes ever, won't be bringing a generator, will have to buy wood at your destination, probably a minimalistic interior with no cookware, etc.

Alternatively, go the other direction: 1,596 - 700 lbs = 896 lbs.
896/0.13 = 6,892.

You should be shopping for trailers with a GVWR of 6,900 lbs or less ... similar to the former RV in my signature.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote