Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Reese revolution

We have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5rlts 5th wheel with a Reese revolution pin box. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Ford F-250 crew cab with a 6.5’ box and I have a Reese elite 18K hitch. When I bought the camper the dealer set up the the hitch and the wedge on the RV. We had no problems the first year we used the camper but the second year on our way back from a long trip the wedge bolts loosened up on a windy road(which is not a fun experience having your 5th wheel pivot in two locations) but we were close enough to home so nothing serious happened. I reset the wedge, used loctite and torqued the bolts to 150 ft-lbs. This year before our first trip I used my torque wrench to check the wedge bolts and they were right on. We didn’t go 25 miles and they loosened up and the wedge slide out of the hitch. I had my torque wrench with me so we pulled over and tightened the bolts to 150 again and ventured on. Thirty miles later it happened again but this time I used the torque wrench at 150 but went another 3/4 of a turn past 150ft-lb. Twenty miles later same thing. What could possibly be going wrong ?
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

I forgot to mention I lubricate the pin box as per the manufacturer and it can be swiveled by hand easily
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Our wedge was shifting from the original position too. I got so tired of it I ground a bolt to fit the space in front of the wedge bolt. I first cut my 'spacer bolt' to the correct length to match the thickness of the wedge. There is no way the wedge can move backward now!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I torqued the bolts this morning for my trip home and didn’t go 10 miles and the wedge slide back again. I left it that way for the 80 miles I had left to get home. I’m having trouble visualizing how you fixed yours using another bolt. Could you possibly take a picture of the wedge ? Thanks for the help
Old 05-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #5

I wondered if that might sound a little obtuse.

First I hooked up to the trailer and positioned the wedge as tight as I could. I wanted it as tight as possible to minimize the chucking I was getting when the wedge was lose. Then I scratched around the wedge with an awl so I would later know where I wanted it mounted. I did make sure that with the wedge being that tight I could hook and unhook.

I then removed the front wedge bolt to see how much of a spacer I needed in front of it to keep it positioned. As it turned out I used a bolt the same diameter as the wedge used. I ground on the spacer bolt to remove the threads on the front side and just enough on the back to be able to replace the front wedge bolt. I then cut the spacer bolt to the correct length (actually just shorter than the wedge thickness. In the photo below the red arrow points to the spacer bolt. I then put the wedge bolt in place with loosened wedge bolts and tapped the wedge forward. The wedge then moved right to my scribed lines so I said 'good enough.'

I suspect I could have used some square stock to make the spacer but I had a bolt on hand that looked perfect for the job.

The photo isn't perfect because I was taking the photo in the rain but I think you will see the rusted spacer bolt if you zoom in on the photo.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Oops, forgot to attach the photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Reese Revolution Curt Wedge spacer_arrow.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #7

Ok I see what did. I couldn’t figure out how you kept the bolt you ground down in place but the picture explains it. My wedge is the universal one that came with my camper. I’m wondering if I should order the custom sww-01 wedge for mine. This is the wedge I’m using at the moment. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
45B5687C-7939-4E7B-A805-8EFA27F19BA1.jpeg  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #8

I have the revolution on my 30.5 MBOK with a B&W hitch and have never had a problem in almost two years, except for my first month when I discovered the dealer had the wrong wedge installed for my hitch.

My thought would be to call Reese and see if they have one better matched to your hitch instead of the universal one.
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

How about using lock washers?
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

I thought about using lock washers but the original bolts come with conical washers which are supposed to act like lock washers. I emailed Reese to ask them what their recommendations would be but haven’t heard back from them yet. Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Just talked to Reese technical support and they suggested using the sww-01 custom wedge. He said they have had a few issues with the universal wedge sliding back. Hopefully this fixes it or I’ll have to do what DNelson did with his wedge.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #12

I have Morryde Orbital Hitch (samething) and last year we left for a trip to NC from CT at 1230am. I happened to notice that the hitch was swinging a little different then it used to. When I pulled over I noticed the Wedge was loose. We were only 10 miles from home so we turned around and went back so i could tighten up the bolts in my driveway vs the side of the road. I did and we hit the road again around 2am, again about 2 miles from home the wedge came loose. This time I was near a shopping plaza and decided to just remove the wedge install the lock out bolts and that would be it. (would just need to watch the rear window with tight turns.) I tried to remove the wedge bolts in the parking lot but couldn't I could spin them 4 or 5 times then they locked up. I said screw it turned around and went home and I would take it to a my mechanic in the morning. Long story short it turns out that when I had the wedge installed by my dealer they over torqued the wedge bolts (they used an impact wrench) and stripped them out and fused them in. The bolts worked out over time and wouldn't tighten up. I had my mechanic re tap them and then we installed the wedge. I then had them put 2 heavy tack welds from the wedge to the plate. knock on wood, i haven't had a problem since. Was this a approved method, no, but it is piece of mind that it shouldn't happen again.
whjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

Yeah I thought about tac welding mine but I’m going to give the custom wedge a try before I do anything different. I’ve removed my bolts a few times to apply loctite and the threads look good in the pinbox thankfully. Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #14

Well after speaking to Reese technical support I received the SWW-01 wedge which is specific to the Elite hitch and revolution pin box. I used loctite and torqued the bolts to 150 ft/lb. We headed out yesterday for the weekend and made 20 miles before the wedge had loosened up and slid back. Guess it’s time to fab something to stop it from moving like DNelson did with his or tac weld it in place.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #15

I'm glad you posted this. I have less than 100 miles on it, but we intend to take a long trip in two weeks. I have a Morryde orbital, and the dealer installed it with an impact wrench, too. It could be too loose or too tight, there's no way of knowing. I have ordered a new torque wrench (mine doesn't go as far as the MorRyde instructions call for), and buying new bolts and cone washers. They have the grade 8 bolts at Home Depot, not sure about the washers yet.) I read somewhere that the bolt threads are designed to stretch, and it's that stretching that keeps tension on the bolt and keeps it from loosening. And apparently, bolts can become overstretched and need to be replaced. So, new bolts might be your answer.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #16

Also, right now, I have space between the wedge and the hitch plate, the thickness of a Jayco key. I contacted Morryde to see if this is acceptable, they said to reinstall it according to instructions. I also asked them if I should get specialized wedge for my hitch (B&W) and they didn't answer that question.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #17

Hey Cincinnati Kid the new wedge I installed came with new bolts and conical washers. The torque wrench was also new when I first had issues but I guess it could be out of calibration. I’m at loss as to why it keeps loosing up
Old 06-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
Hey Cincinnati Kid the new wedge I installed came with new bolts and conical washers. The torque wrench was also new when I first had issues but I guess it could be out of calibration. I’m at loss as to why it keeps loosing up
Maybe it's the loctite. Do your instructions call for it? My neighbor is a retired Mr. Goodwrench, and says there are several grades of locktite.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #19

I don’t have the directions with me now but the dealer used loctite when they installed the wedge and the Reese technician I spoke to said to use locktite. I used the same kind(color) as the dealer so not sure if that’s it or not. When I get home I’m going to fab a spacer to put in front of the front bolt so it can’t slide back. Thanks for the help and I’ll keep you posted how it ends up
Old 06-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #20

I thought about tack welding the wedge in place but decided on a spacer in case I had problems with my tow vehicle and someone else had to tow the RV. In that instance I might have to remove the wedge and put the lockout bolts in the Revolution hitch so a regular 5th wheel hitch could be used. Hopefully though that will never happen!