Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 AM   #41

I've got a 17 dirtymax with an 18 northpoint. Just got back from a 7600 mile long trip and didnt have any issues like this. I noticed that the corner of the trailer was a little darker but it rubbed right off. Looking at your pick comparison to my truck it looks like my exhaust is not as much pointed to the corner of the truck. And I think mine might be a little farther forward. Could be the difference between the DRW and the SRW. As mine is the SRW. I have also talked to GM about making changes to the exhaust and they dont recommend it because of the SRC system. So whatever changes you do make sure they are minor changes. Also if your truck is doing a regen every tank of fuel you have problems. Mine dose a passive regen (this is short takes about 10 mins of driving to finish) it dose this maybe every 2 to 3 tanks of fuel. And it has only done 1 full regen in 30k miles. The full regen is when a message comes up on your display as says to continue driving until it goes away. The way it was explained to me if you stop during your passive regens too many times it will force a full regen. Unfortunately you dont know other then your MPG drops about 4 to 5 mpg when its doing a passive regen. I always try to let it finish before stopping.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgelmini View Post
Hi sorry off topic. I noticed your pulling a pinnacle with a gmc srw 3500. We are looking at a 2020 3500 srw duramax. May I ask if you have any problem pulling with the srw? Forum always says go dually. It’s going to be my main driver and I don’t want to get a dually. Any regrets on the srw? Looking at the pinnacle ssws down the road. Tia Chris
I pull a 2018 northpoint with a 3500 SRW and with my 2017 GMC it dose great. But I'm about 300 lbs over my payload on the truck. I added airbags and it helped to make it ride more solid. As for the 2020 3500 SRW I have no clue it's all new.. I do know that from the specs I saw online the 2020 is supposed to have about 500lbs more payload then my 2017. So i would say give it a try just be mindful of how close your are to your payload max weights. I'm not a fan a DRW's so I'd do just about anything to keep my weights in the range of an SRW. And dont listen to then Ford and ram guys the GMC has the highest payload on SRW. I've done the research. That's how I ended up with the GMC. Good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #43
DKB

Excessive exhaust heat

I’m not very familiar with fifth wheel towing but have noticed an extended setup on the hitch mount used by short bed trucks. Is this something you can add to your RV that might add distance between the exhaust tip and the front of your RV? Not sure what adverse effects it would have on towing?
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #44

I've looked at that too and I cant get it any farther away than what it is. The trailer came with a MORyde pin box on it and its longer than a standard solid factory one would be. If it got any longer the back of the pinbox would hit the sides of the bed when turning.
The hitch itself can go back but then there is too much weight behind the rear axle and that makes the ride horrible. And I'd run into the same issue again of having it contact the sides of the bed.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy220 View Post
There is no regen light. The only way you will know it’s in regen is the rpms will be about 300 higher at idle. A typical LML will regen once per tank of fuel, I think GM states 450 to 550 miles.

With exhaust gas temps in the 1400* range I don’t think there is enough cool air in the stale area between truck and front of 5th wheel to cool it.

I haven’t experienced any melting issues YET, but I have only been on 1 trip that I know my truck went into regen on (just purchased truck this year). This is something that I am concerned about myself, guess time will tell.
I apologize, I was referring top an active regen, which as Mad5581 points out, displays on the three DIC. Passive regens which you are referring happen several times for me as I drive mine daily about 30 miles to work. These do not generate ad much heat add an active one.

The exhaust on a stock truck does not get to 1400 degrees, not even Banks is trying to say that BS. With the exhaust tip below the truck, there's is always ample amount of air to mix with the exhaust stream.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
As you can see that tailpipe is pointed right at the front corner of it too.

Attachment 51448
Ok, I forgot the North Points had drop frames. When I had mine, I still did not see a melting issue. Is your concern about the trim cover for the screws coming off? I cannot see that it's melted. Those things are notorious for coming loose in the wind and shrinking and expanding normally. I'm not sure I'd invest in an exhaust system to fix that.

For reference I took some pictures of my current set up. Obviously mine is directed farther below. The distance between my tailgate and front is 4 1/4 inches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_175934.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	51481Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_175944.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	51482

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote