Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #1

12V power for Backup Camera

Any suggestion on where I get the 12V power source for my wireless backup camera?

Thinking about the center marker light, but looks like it is sealed. What is the voltage at the center marker light, and how should I open it up without making damage? Thanks

Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

The lens should pop off for bulb changes, although maybe they sealed them since going to LED? There may be screws under the lens attaching to the wall, can't remember that.
The base is generally sealed to the wall with caulk and can be carefully peeled away.

The voltage is 12V but it is switched with the vehicle lights, so you would need parking or headlights on to activate the camera.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
Any suggestion on where I get the 12V power source for my wireless backup camera?

Thinking about the center marker light, but looks like it is sealed. What is the voltage at the center marker light, and how should I open it up without making damage? Thanks

I just did mine and I popped the middle light on top I put connectors on the wires with brown being positive. I then ran the wire through the caulk and tightened the fixture back down. I do have to have headlights on to get power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Jayco Jay Feather X23B Hybrid
2014 GMC Savana Van 5.3L
RalphF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

That power source will work. But, by law that third light must work.

If you go inside the tt, the wires run above/behind the little shelf. I removed the diagonal board, and end cap board that access the wire chase behind the bathroom. The easy solution is then drill a hole through the fiberglass wall and splice into the marker light wire harness. I did it the hard way, for dedicated power, I drilled a hole into the bathroom wall and a corresponding hole down low in the cavity that has the power converter, and chased a wire up the wall and tied it onto an unused fuse in the fuse box. It is a little more wore, but we'll worth it, as I added a couple power points. For a bunk fan/light and usb charger.

Added thought, does your htt already have the power point inside the bunk for the fan/light? If it does there is power up there already for that.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Thank you very much.

I found that there is no screw on the marker light and it's sealed with silicone. I used a cutter carefully take off the silicone and able to get access to the power source.

I didn't connect the camera to the marker light source eventually. I decided to drill a small hole and tap the power to the rear back fan/light source. And it works very well.

Decade is offline   Reply With Quote