Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

2018 X17Z axle flip

Hey just wondering if anyone has flipped the axle on a 2018X17Z, if the weather is good, i should be doing mine this weekend , also upgrading the leafsprings to 4000lbs(2000lbs each).
netlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #2

Hopefully the new springs don't make it ride too rough. Let us know!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlos View Post
Hey just wondering if anyone has flipped the axle on a 2018X17Z, if the weather is good, i should be doing mine this weekend , also upgrading the leafsprings to 4000lbs(2000lbs each).
I did on a 28' Eagle years ago. It didn't work out that well. Barely O.K.. I was getting more tire wear and more sway. The parts kit was fairly cheap, just consisted of new spring plates and spring seats and new u-bolts. Going from underslung to overslung wasn't ideal for me. Why they call this "flipping axles" I don't know. Maybe you will have better luck, the overslung seemed to change the camber angle.

Maybe someone else who have done this can give you more info.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Hopefully the new springs don't make it ride too rough. Let us know!
I hope not, will keep you posted, have not taken her out for a test drive yet, have to readjust the Centerline hitch first, hopefully I will get around to it this weekend if the weather cooperates , old springs were rated at 1750 each so I think I will be good.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
I did on a 28' Eagle years ago. It didn't work out that well. Barely O.K.. I was getting more tire wear and more sway. The parts kit was fairly cheap, just consisted of new spring plates and spring seats and new u-bolts. Going from underslung to overslung wasn't ideal for me. Why they call this "flipping axles" I don't know. Maybe you will have better luck, the overslung seemed to change the camber angle.

Maybe someone else who have done this can give you more info.
Good to know, I will see how the test drive goes, the reason I went with the flip is because we like to camp in a few places with some pretty bad logging roads, and a few 4x4 only roads , I will definitely keep an extra eye on the tire wear.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlos View Post
Good to know, I will see how the test drive goes, the reason I went with the flip is because we like to camp in a few places with some pretty bad logging roads, and a few 4x4 only roads , I will definitely keep an extra eye on the tire wear.
I agree. Try it out and it may work well for you. Keep in mind this isn't going to change the axle height. Also, you may have to adjust your hitch height.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #7

I did iton mine and it's been fine for many years. No increased tire wear. It didn't change the axles at all so why would the tires wear faster? I had to change the steps to 3 step from 2 step through.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
I did iton mine and it's been fine for many years. No increased tire wear. It didn't change the axles at all so why would the tires wear faster? I had to change the steps to 3 step from 2 step through.
I am toying with the idea of the 3 step, but so far seems ok, lol.
Old 06-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #9

Just realized I did not put up a pic, lol
Attached Thumbnails
20220611_172113.jpg