Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Canvas Tent ends not allowed?

Recently I was looking at a sales video of a hybrid and as the guy was doing the demo, he mentioned something about some places/campgrounds not allowing canvas? has anyone had any issues with this? I really enjoy the extra room that a hybrid allows and have not gone anywhere yet where it wasn't allowed.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #2

I haven't personally run into that restriction. It's typically enforced in bear country. Think Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone or St Mary in Glacier. You can still camp there in a hybrid, you just can't open the bunk ends (sleeping on the dinette and jack knife sofa in an X23B) makes for tight quarters in the hybrid.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

We've camped in bear country with ours in California (Sierras) and were never told that we couldn't. We just make sure we use the bear lockers to keep our extra food in.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

In my travels over the years I have run into several campgrounds that allowed hard sided
campers only. Invariably they were in areas with a high level of grizzly activity so I didn't need much persuasion to keep moving. I've never wanted to be on the dinner menu.

Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, and Jasper National Park come to mind. But in most cases there were other campgrounds nearby that did allow tent camping, so it's not necessarily a big deal. You just have to do your research and remain flexible if necessary.
Redhawkbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
I haven't personally run into that restriction. It's typically enforced in bear country. Think Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone or St Mary in Glacier. You can still camp there in a hybrid, you just can't open the bunk ends.
X2 , Don't know what Hybrid you have but mine has a slide out that's 3'x 12'+- and we just put the mattress on the floor at bed time so we're all set. When we run for 3 days to our destination this comes in real handy it's like having a Murphy bed and no breakdown of the dinette and using sleeping bags takes all of just 10 minutes. Floor width is 72" and the mattress is 60" so there's space to walk around.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

Yes. Lake Louise in Jasper allows canvas only in certain areas as well as some campgrounds in the Yukon( Congdon Creek) in high griz country.. No doubt there are others but those are the ones we have been to. Where canvas is permitted is surrounded by electric bear fence.

There are always alternatives nearby as not every campground in bear country can be surrounded by bear fence.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

I had a popup when we went to Yellowstone and they would only let me stay in one of the parks campgrounds. I believe that the policy is due to bears in certain areas are to used to humans and would go through the canvas when they smell food.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #8

Yellowstone has restrictions, Glacier has restrictions, several forest service campgrounds in Wyoming have restrictions.

My last camping trip in a popup was in 2009 at Lewis Lake in Yellowstone, one of campground that allow tents and popups. During the night we were visited by a grizzly, luckily just a curious grizzly who left a foot print and a loud bang on the door in the middle of the night... yep, left camp a day earlier than initially planned, sold the popup before our next camping trip.

To this day it still makes the hair stand on the back of my neck every time I think of or tell this story, and yet Yellowstone has become my favorite national park.

I have learned Respect!!!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #9

When we were young and tent camping my parents were extremely strict about never having any food in our tent even when we set it up at home for sleep overs with friends. They drilled it into our heads proper food storage and safety for camping in the wilderness. Any rv with a kitchen in it must smell like a smorgasbord to wild animals.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I had a popup when we went to Yellowstone and they would only let me stay in one of the parks campgrounds. I believe that the policy is due to bears in certain areas are to used to humans and would go through the canvas when they smell food.
I assume you mean the camper being the food that was smelled?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I assume you mean the camper being the food that was smelled?
no.. Hunters bait bear here and meat is not attractive . Donuts and sweets and Doritos are and that is what is in the bait buckets

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote