Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

city water / drain every departure?

Hello-

Last year was our first season with our 19H, and it was great! One thing I learned is that I was supposed to be draining the hot water heater after each time we left. So I will start draining that by just pulling the plug out at the end of each visit. Should I also be draining the water from the cold water as well?

We have a seasonal spot, and make it there about once or twice a month.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

I dont drain either one.
I posted a response in your other thread.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #3

I only drain mine if I will not be using me tt, for more than 2 weeks, or have used smelly well water.

If your going to drain the hot, you might as well drain the cold.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Thanks!

Yeah the hot water got a little smelly last year I believe. I like the idea of the 2 week concept. Will try that out. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
CAG

Nasty things grow in water left in hot water tanks and fresh water tanks. This is especially true if you live in warm climates or if left during the summer. Some might say that being enclosed, nothing can grow. Water goes into the tanks with bacteria already in it. Dark warm places are wonderful for them to grow. I forgot to drain my hot water tank and when I did remember, two weeks later, the water came out black.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #6

Right after I leave the dump station, I open all the faucets including the outdoor shower, then open the low point drains and by the time I get home the system is drained, even the water heater. Also open the fresh tank drain as well.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

I drain down everything after each trip, even if it's only a few weeks. No sense letting crappy water ferment in the pipes and tanks.

Then, right before the next trip, I blast out all pipes, faucets, showers and tanks with fresh water, before filling the water tank.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #8

It's not at all necessary to drain the water heater, but for the reasons people have mentioned, if you're not going to be using the camper for some time I would definitely drain so nothing grows in the heater. I drain my water heater at the end of every trip. I don't see the point in hauling around the extra weight for no good reason.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

Yes, I drain the fresh water tank and hot water tank after each trip. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #10

A lot depends upon the time for next use regarding the water heater. For example we never drain the water heater while travelling because we leave the FW tank about 1/3 full so that stops along the way we can still have hot water. The tank will keeep it warm for many hours.

Next, we only drain the cold water lines for freeze protection. The only time we did drain the cold water lines was when it smelled like rotten eggs. Then we had to sterilize. It was anerobic bacteria.

Also, always sterilize when coming off winterization.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Nasty things grow in water left in hot water tanks and fresh water tanks. This is especially true if you live in warm climates or if left during the summer. Some might say that being enclosed, nothing can grow. Water goes into the tanks with bacteria already in it. Dark warm places are wonderful for them to grow. I forgot to drain my hot water tank and when I did remember, two weeks later, the water came out black.
Correct. People get into trouble when they start thinking of RV water as a closed/sealed container. The fresh water tank has an open overflow/vent, so it's like leaving your water in a bucket.
You'll buy a little extra time if you're on a municipal treated water supply, but untreated well water that is safe to drink coming out of the ground won't stay safe in storage.

Drain the water. It's cheap and easily replaced.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #12

I have had water go bad in the water heater twice, both times in less than 10 days of hot water sitting still in the sun. Now I drain it all if I am not going to camp for more than a couple of days.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

I drain the hot water heater at the end of every trip, easy enough.

We dont use our FW tank much so we keep empty and sanitize a few times per year.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #14

Draining

I drain when get home both hot water heater and fresh water. We use well water and have had the sulfur smell in water heater just after leaving water in less then two weeks. Not nice when get to campsite and turn on hot water!
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #15

Water Treatment

Just putting it out there, but there is Rv water treatment out there. A lot of places have fresh water (not treated) and does not hold up well in storage, but the Rv water treatment is fantastic and can be stored for a long time.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #16

re: water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
It's not at all necessary to drain the water heater, but for the reasons people have mentioned, if you're not going to be using the camper for some time I would definitely drain so nothing grows in the heater. I drain my water heater at the end of every trip. I don't see the point in hauling around the extra weight for no good reason.
Further, if condensate in bottom of a sealed diesel or gasoline tank can grow GREEN ALGAE, I more worry about the black mold that can grow in a FW system. Recently youtube, saw where a guy cut open his FW white hose, and black mold NOT stuff you want found in it? NEED to bleach ALL every 6-12-months
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #17

Use this to keep water fresh

Purogene.

I think that's how it is spelled. Bought some last year after using recommended stuff to clean the water system... sanitize. After numerous rinses, and still smelling the bad stuff... I started looking for something that would sanitize and keep water fresh in tank.

The above, Purogene, is what I found. Expensive but worth it in that it isn't a poison. I still flush and drain the system each year, but don't worry about letting water sit in tank in between trips. Even comes with test strips so you know the condition of your water before you take off on trip.

Just another thought...
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote