Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

cleaning / sanitizing the hot water heater

I can't really fine clear instructions on how to do this. What are folks doing at the beginning of the season for a 19H.

Should I replace the anode rod annually? Do something with bleach? Vinegar?

Any help would be great. I did buy one of those rinsing wands and have yet to use it (see my other post where I wasn't draining my hot water heater after each use!).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

At the start of the year when I summerize it, I'll fill the fresh tank with the correct amount t of bleach and water to sanitize and I'll use that sanitize water to fill the hot water tank. I let it sit for about 24 hrs, drain everything and refill with fresh water to flush the bleach water out. Then I'm good for the rest of the season. In between trips my trailer may sit for a month and I do not empty the lines and/or hot water tank. Some people do, but I've never seen the need. FWIW, I even drink out of my fresh tank and have never been sick, ill or found a third eye growing out of the middle of my back because of it. The way I see it is if you drink bottled water that's been in the bottle for at least 2 weeks from the time it was put in there, to the store, out on the floor, and then purchased by you, then sits at your house for another week or two, what difference does it make if there is water in your fresh tank and/or hot water heater for a few weeks. So, yes, I dont drain my hot water tank after every use. It gets filled at the start if the season around April and I dont drain it until it's time to winterize in October or even November.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have never used the FW tank, because we've only ever been at a seasonal campground that has a city connection.

Is there a different procedure to use in that case?
Old 03-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
At the start of the year when I summerize it, I'll fill the fresh tank with the correct amount t of bleach and water to sanitize and I'll use that sanitize water to fill the hot water tank. I let it sit for about 24 hrs, drain everything and refill with fresh water to flush the bleach water out. Then I'm good for the rest of the season. In between trips my trailer may sit for a month and I do not empty the lines and/or hot water tank. Some people do, but I've never seen the need. FWIW, I even drink out of my fresh tank and have never been sick, ill or found a third eye growing out of the middle of my back because of it. The way I see it is if you drink bottled water that's been in the bottle for at least 2 weeks from the time it was put in there, to the store, out on the floor, and then purchased by you, then sits at your house for another week or two, what difference does it make if there is water in your fresh tank and/or hot water heater for a few weeks. So, yes, I dont drain my hot water tank after every use. It gets filled at the start if the season around April and I dont drain it until it's time to winterize in October or even November.
Gee, I thought that third eye was supposed to be there...it helps me to back up my trailer!
Old 03-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Gee, I thought that third eye was supposed to be there...it helps me to back up my trailer!
That's a good one! Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #6

Been reading some more on this. Currently, as part of my winterization that I did, my water pump is in bypass mode and so is my water heater. That was so that I could run antifreeze to everything except the water heater using the water pump.

But now I want to get vinegar (latest thought) into the water heater. Would I just unbypass the water heater and use the water pump to get it through? I think that would also then do the rest of the plumbing as well. Would that be an issue if vinegar ran through all of that?

Any alternative ways to getting vinegar into the hot water heater without using the FW tank (I've never put anything in the FW tank - don't feel like starting now)

I'm getting closer!
Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have never used the FW tank, because we've only ever been at a seasonal campground that has a city connection.

Is there a different procedure to use in that case?
Well, you could set your valves to winterize so the pump will siphon out of a jug and mix up a sanitize solution of bleach for the amount of water you will be siphoning from.
But honestly, I dont think I'd be worried to much. It's not much different that being at home and there is a water main break down the road. All they tell you is let the water run for 15-20 min and it's all good.
Say you build a house, does the builder "sanitize" the brand new lines in the house and/or hot water heater? Nope. They turn the water on, let it run for a while and start using it. That's about all I'd do since it's a seasonal, hook up the water line, open the hot and cold on all the faucets for say 5 or 10 minutes and call it good.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbagnall View Post
Been reading some more on this. Currently, as part of my winterization that I did, my water pump is in bypass mode and so is my water heater. That was so that I could run antifreeze to everything except the water heater using the water pump.

But now I want to get vinegar (latest thought) into the water heater. Would I just unbypass the water heater and use the water pump to get it through? I think that would also then do the rest of the plumbing as well. Would that be an issue if vinegar ran through all of that?

Any alternative ways to getting vinegar into the hot water heater without using the FW tank (I've never put anything in the FW tank - don't feel like starting now)

I'm getting closer!
That sounds like a good plan. Just make sure to run some fresh water through your water pump when you're done so the vinegar solution doesn't sit in the pump and hoses for months.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #9

I had a nice Lance camper for 25 years and now have a motorhome. I have done the same thing for all these years when it comes to sanitizing. Prior to the first trip of the season I will pour the recommended amount of bleach into the fresh water system and run all outlets to get the mix into the plumbing. This includes the hot water heater.

After 1-3 days I will then pump the fresh water bleach mix into the holding tanks to let it do a little cleaning there as well. I let that sit for a couple of days and then fill/empty/fill the fresh water tank until there is no bleach smell.

We drink bottled water but use the tank for cooking. Still have 20/20 eyesight in the 3rd eye. I must admit that the tail I grew has turned gray with age though.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #10

Speaking of anode rods, can someone help me with instructions for replacing same on a 2017 Jayco Jay Feather X17Z? I just bought this used and it's my first time owing a trailer. I know it's supposed to be replaced once a year, but the manual doesn't explain where it is or how to do it.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #11

Depends on manufacturer. I put in a Suburban and have attached the manual for it. I looked on Amazon for the anode and saved it for when I need to order.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water Heater Suburban.pdf (1.27 MB, 2 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #12

go to the search function in the gold bar above, type in Anode rod replacement

you will get a ton of posts, some pictures, etc.

ps some don't have anode rods, yours might not, but it will have a drain plug.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #13

Where did you read it has to be replaced annually? First I heard of this.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
Where did you read it has to be replaced annually? First I heard of this.
The owner's manual. Here's what it says:

The tank in the water heater is protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank by absorbing the corrosive action of hot water. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, the water heater manufacturer recommends the anode rod be replaced yearly. Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration; therefore, more frequent replacements may be required. If an anode rod is mostly eaten away, replace it with a new one. The water heater manufacturer recommends replacement of the anode rod when consumption or weight loss is greater than 75 percent.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #15

...and now I've learned the difference between an Atwood and a Suburban water heater. After just figuring out where the water heater is, I learned that this X17Z is equipped with an Atwood; hence, no need for the anode.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
The owner's manual. Here's what it says:

The tank in the water heater is protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank by absorbing the corrosive action of hot water. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, the water heater manufacturer recommends the anode rod be replaced yearly. Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration; therefore, more frequent replacements may be required. If an anode rod is mostly eaten away, replace it with a new one. The water heater manufacturer recommends replacement of the anode rod when consumption or weight loss is greater than 75 percent.
They recommend annually under normal use, and if the rod is less 25%. So check it, if it’s still there leave it.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote