Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Electric tongues jack issues

We have a 2017 x19 and when we got home today from camping the jack would not go down. It would “try” but not move. We tried to use the manual crank to no avail. Eventually the electric motor stops trying. We took off cover and looked at it. It looks like one of the gears is at an angle and getting caught...but we never looked at it when it was working fine. Anyone else have any issues with this. Can’t really get it on/off the hitch without ability to jack up or down.
Jberg003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #2

There will be a nut on top of the jack where you can manually raise or lower it. On my W Hawk it is under the "bubble level" on the cap at the top of the jack. You should have a tool that came with the trailer that fits or you can use the proper size socket.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Hi, yes we tried that- it won’t budge manually. It looks like the gears inside the crank warped. Ordering some heavy duty jacks to raise it that way so we can take in for repair. Thanks for the input.
Jberg003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Most electric and manual tongue jacks are held on by 3 bolts.

At this point I would consider replacing the whole unit. If the gears are crooked it is probably toast and un-repairable. I installed my own hitch and have the manual one in the shed. Odds are a dealer would loan you one in an emergency or sell you a used one cheap as an temporary repair.

You could also appeal to the manufacturer or seller in the hope they would offer some help on repair or a new one.

Good luck!

If you are near Peoria, IL I would give you my old one.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

We had that happen to us. After taking the cover off, we were able to remove a gear from between the motor and worm gear. After we did that we were able to use our hand crank to raise and lower the jack.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

These things are less than $150 for a good one and super easy to replace. Cut your losses and get a new one and you will have peace of mind that it will work. Mine died after just 3 years on my 2o14 WHawk, ordered a new one and all is good. No need to involve a dealer, they will charge you at least double for something you can replace in 30 minutes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

I also would install a new one, but I would install a quality unit. See if your dealership will cover the cost of whatever Jayco would authorize and the cost of a Husky Brute or something. Those OEM jacks are complete junk.

Mine got water in it and stopped working, so I worked out a deal with my dealership and installed a Husky Brute myself. One of the best things I ever did for my trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric jack