Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

For those who have fixed the bunk end plastic strip problem

I have the common hybrid issue of the bunk end pulling away from our 2013 x17z. Right now it's about a 1-2'' strip that's pulled away, and it doesn't leak because of the location, but I'm concerned it will get worse. I took it to the dealer and was initially approved for warranty work, but then later declined. It's a long story and I'm pissed off about it. Because of that, I'm planning to try to fix it myself rather than paying hundreds of dollars to the same dealer that just screwed me.

I know that a lot of people here have fixed it by adding washers to the screws, so it provides more uniform support. Do you just tuck the pulled-away portion back under the plastic, and then tighten down the washers? Is that how it works?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

I'm hoping that someone can come up with a resolution to our problem. I have a now 7 month old camper that has been repaired now twice and it still has the same problem. I'm thinking that this is a KNOWN issue and if this was a car, there would be a recall on it.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post

I know that a lot of people here have fixed it by adding washers to the screws, so it provides more uniform support. Do you just tuck the pulled-away portion back under the plastic, and then tighten down the washers? Is that how it works?
This problem has been around for a good 10 years now so don't expect a new solution anytime soon and I've been to the factory twice just about this.
Now what I did was add ( Mr. Grip ) from Lowe's under the washer and problem solved and your talking years of use like 20 weeks a year for the last about 6 years and I'm the 2nd owner.
Trim the edges of the Mr. Grip so it doesn't damage the canvas.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
This problem has been around for a good 10 years now so don't expect a new solution anytime soon and I've been to the factory twice just about this.
Now what I did was add ( Mr. Grip ) from Lowe's under the washer and problem solved and your talking years of use like 20 weeks a year for the last about 6 years and I'm the 2nd owner.
Trim the edges of the Mr. Grip so it doesn't damage the canvas.
Sorry for my density, but how does that fix the cracked and separated plastic strips? I know I'm missing something here.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #6

I dont know how to link my other threads. But i removed and sent off my bunk end tent and had new plastic sewn in. For a reaonable price. All the info is in my other thread but the company is called bear creek canvas.
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingmaynards View Post
I dont know how to link my other threads. But i removed and sent off my bunk end tent and had new plastic sewn in. For a reaonable price. All the info is in my other thread but the company is called bear creek canvas.
Thanks. I have heard of them before. I was kind of hoping for a DIY answer, but that may end up being the way I go. Do you happen to know their turnaround time?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #8

6-8 weeks was the typical lead time I was told. But they are very nice and I'm sure a call could help get a better idea. The gentlemen I spoke to had a good back story on this plastic trim piece failure and how it has become infamous for our style bunk ends.

I tried every solution I could to get it fix it DIY, but there was no stopping the separation. Once the plastic ages and becomes brittle there isn't enough caulk/duct tape to keep it together. The screws installed at the factory are really the culprit. I want to say the when I reinstalled my canvas I skipped those as to that was were I noticed the splitting started. Which makes sense.

Good luck!
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingmaynards View Post
6-8 weeks was the typical lead time I was told. But they are very nice and I'm sure a call could help get a better idea. The gentlemen I spoke to had a good back story on this plastic trim piece failure and how it has become infamous for our style bunk ends.

I tried every solution I could to get it fix it DIY, but there was no stopping the separation. Once the plastic ages and becomes brittle there isn't enough caulk/duct tape to keep it together. The screws installed at the factory are really the culprit. I want to say the when I reinstalled my canvas I skipped those as to that was were I noticed the splitting started. Which makes sense.

Good luck!
Thanks. Ours is in a spot where it's not leaking anything but air. I think our plan is to try to get through to next winter, which shouldn't be an issue. I'm seriously thinking about trying Flex Tape until then
Old 01-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #10

Can you take a picture of this, I own a 2018 x17z and I am curious what you are referring too?
skott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skott17 View Post
Can you take a picture of this, I own a 2018 x17z and I am curious what you are referring too?
It's a bit sloppy with goop because I had a piece of duct tape covering it, which caused more damage, unfortunately. I have another spot that's starting to split. It seems I'll have to get the front bunk replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/me3ne2ts4gdbpd0/break.jpg
Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Sorry for my density, but how does that fix the cracked and separated plastic strips? I know I'm missing something here.
Sorry for the late post.
Mr. Grip has kept the split from getting bigger and I told the factory that first you need to make a clearance hole for the screws, using the screw first to separate the plastic causes the split in the first place and use a screw with a slightly larger head to cover more surface area. To date nothing has been done.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #13

Thanks Steve, I'll have too look at my 2018 once I get it out of storage. I'm guessing they didn't change anything up since 2013. I'd rather fix it before it becomes a big issue.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry for the late post.
Mr. Grip has kept the split from getting bigger and I told the factory that first you need to make a clearance hole for the screws, using the screw first to separate the plastic causes the split in the first place and use a screw with a slightly larger head to cover more surface area. To date nothing has been done.
Tunce, did you remove all of the screws, insert some of the Mr Grip, add a washer to the screw, and reinsert the factory screw?

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skott17 View Post
Tunce, did you remove all of the screws, insert some of the Mr Grip, add a washer to the screw, and reinsert the factory screw?

Thanks,
Only around the radius (4) because all the tension on the canvas is at this point. Trailer is now going into year #9 and no problems any other place. Just make sure that the shepherds pole(s) are not real tight, a little slack on the canvas ( one notch)should be fine. If it’s pulled to tight you will get this. Sorry it’s sideways
Attached Thumbnails
92041584-DE6C-4E9C-9060-31E4DE652699.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Only around the radius (4) because all the tension on the canvas is at this point. Trailer is now going into year #9 and no problems any other place. Just make sure that the shepherds pole(s) are not real tight, a little slack on the canvas ( one notch)should be fine.
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably do that this spring before issues arise in the future.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #17

Now some people have had it leak along the top edge at some point in time and the easiest and best way to date is using White Garilla tape along the top edge from under the radius on the left side clear across to the other side and under the radius on the right side. When you open the tent end and view from the outside you’ll have a clearer picture of what I’m trying to say & show you.
Attached Thumbnails
32DED86F-0A38-4182-A857-AB62D1C89377.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #18

Didn’t think, your trim might be black. Found this pic on eBay and you can see that bottom ledge and the canvas bead and where you would apply the tape and you wouldn’t see it and it won’t interfere closing it up.
Attached Thumbnails
65D90A6A-F5F3-4BA0-B903-69CFA38612F6.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Didn’t think, your trim might be black. Found this pic on eBay and you can see that bottom ledge and the canvas bead and where you would apply the tape and you wouldn’t see it and it won’t interfere closing it up.
I believe the screws are on the inside right? maybe I'll just keep an eye on it haha, I'd rather not get myself into a bigger issue. Maybe they've resolved it with the newer model.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Now some people have had it leak along the top edge at some point in time and the easiest and best way to date is using White Garilla tape along the top edge from under the radius on the left side clear across to the other side and under the radius on the right side. When you open the tent end and view from the outside you’ll have a clearer picture of what I’m trying to say & show you.
The black piece that runs along the top does have a channel to divert water that is coming down the side of the trailer.