Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Furrion back up camera port

Hello,
I just priced the Furrion back up cameras as our 2019 has a camera ready port on the back. According to Furrion, only their cameras can be installed at this port. Probably a quality camera but very pricey it looks like. Has anyone installed a different camera type at the pre wired port or thoughts on this project? I guess Plan B would be to splice in to the running lights. I have a Yakry Y23 HD 2 camera set. One is a license plate camera and the other is for the rear of the RV. Very thankful for any input!!!!
Steve and Judy Conway
Attached Thumbnails
Yakry camera.jpg  
Featherfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Your picture looks like your cameras are wireless. If so, see if the company has an adapter to mount your camera base to the Furrion base.
As a FYI: I have a T-30F Toy Hauler. With full size truck & trailer, I am just over 50' long, so I got the Tadi Brothers 4 camera system (two side cameras, one rear & one inside looking at the garage area). All are wireless. We used the Furrion PWR connection for the rear facing camera. Tadi Brothers had an adapter to mount their camera to the rear facing Furrion base. As for the side cameras, pwr came from the running lights. For both the inside & rear facing cameras, both are wired so I can use them at any time (I added independent on/off rocker switches to control them). This allows me to mount the monitor by the bed up front & use those two as security cameras (one for the outside back & the other to keep tabs on the dogs or kids in the garage area at night).
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #3

Azmarine
How did you get your wires ran to the backup camera, my furion only works when the lights on the truck are on. I have a 12v port that says its for security using the furion monitor inside but they didn’t wire mine to a switch so camera has no power? Seems silly to put a 12v plug in the bedroom for the monitor and not sending power to the camera.
Builder5840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

Builder5840,
I had the red & black wires, but also a orange wire at the rear camera housing. I had Jayco send me the instructions to install the Furrion camera. In the directions it stated that the orange wire runs to the main command panel & is a hot wire, & to use that if wanting to have camera as a security camera (not dependent on running lights). When using that vice the red, your camera would always be "on". So I added a on/off rocker switch in-line on the orange wire, mounting the switch on the command panel. As for the inside camera to watch the garage area, even though there was a sticker on the wall above the fridge saying "camera mount" there was actually no wires, etc. there. We tapped power from the fridge line & also put a inline on/off rocker switch there.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the help... will this still work in the truck when traveling if the switch is on? And I suppose that i would need to remember to turn off when not using as to not run the battery down,
Builder5840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #6

Correct. By connecting like I did, you must turn on the rocker switch to apply pwr to the camera. Camera will be powered until you turn it off via the rocker switch. Note: To prevent battery drain when not in use is why I added the on/off rocker switch to the orange "hot" pwr wire.