Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #1

New 2006 19H

Hello everyone! I just bought a new (to us) 2006 Jayflight 19H. If there are any tips and tricks that I need to know, please let me know. I am looking forward to talking and learning from you guys/ gals. This is my families first camper.
Dustybottums33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

Welcome Dustybottums33. My wife and I have a 2015 X19H and I bet there is almost no difference between our models. I think the 19H is hard to beat and has a lot of room for the weight. We are very happy with our camper. I'm sure others will be along with better tips but here's my list. My apologies if I'm stating the obvious - but since this is your first camper here are some things I learned from reading here and elsewhere.

1. Level side to side using blocks under the wheels or Anderson type wheel chock and levelers. Don't try to level with the stabilizers.

2. Even when connected to the sewer leave the black water tank valve closed and dump as needed. Otherwise all the liquid drains and the solids stay and get...well solid. Use the grey water to flush out the sewer hose after the last dump before leaving.

3. Understand how the refrigerator works and why you don't want to use it when stationary and unlevel.

4. Know your tongue weight and make sure its 10 to 15% of the total weight. Set up your weight distribution hitch correctly. Lots of info on this forum and the internet about this. Keep your family safe.

5. Make sure your camper brakes work.

6. The camper will drain your battery while sitting in the driveway. Plug it in or disconnect the battery.

7. Look up and read about PUGS - Pop Up Gizmos.

8. Learn how to winterize the water system and know where the low point drains are.

9. If connected to campground water its best to turn it off before leaving the camper. I need to be better about following this rule.

10. Make sure your water heater is full of water before turning it ON.

And last - Relax and enjoy camping. Happy trails.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #3

Thank Empty Nest! Those are great tips. I really appreciate the time. My wife and I both took a screen shot and save all of this information to our phones. We are taking our first trip in the camper in about 2 weeks, and then another trip during spring break with the kids.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNest View Post

2. Even when connected to the sewer leave the black water tank valve closed and dump as needed. Otherwise all the liquid drains and the solids stay and get...well solid. Use the grey water to flush out the sewer hose after the last dump before leaving.
I would add to EmptyNest's #2 When starting out or after dumping you should add a gallon or two of water to the black tank. Don't want to have a dry tank when adding solids to it. Will help to mixup added chemicals and disperse solids which will aid when dumping. Don't want that pyramid pile . Of course if putting in storage you will want it dry.

Welcome to the forum and be safe.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #5

Additional thoughts

Little Bill is correct.
Additional thoughts: some of us find the mattresses to be a little too thin. I use a cheap foam topper bought from Walmart.

We almost always cook outside and we love our blackstone griddle.

Here in the southeast, the state parks at the beach fill up quickly so we have to book months ahead.

Here's a few pics of my camper. Can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8177.jpg   IMG_8180.jpg   IMG_8192.jpg  
Old 01-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the information. My wife and I have been making list's and watching you tube videos constantly. We are taking our first trip in the middle of Feb. We will be heading to a state park about 30 mins from our house.
I do you have one question though about the weight distribution hitch. I will be towing with a 2019 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition with the towing package. It has a towing capacity of around 11k and the GVCW is 15K I believe. In the towing guide, it says the distribution hitch is optional up to 7K. Do I still need one?
Old 01-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

I love the pictures. How does it tow with the pathfinder? I plan on towing with my truck, but I have wondered if I could tow with our Minivan.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

If the nights are cold and you have power you may want to consider some electric mattress pads. With a hybrid there's not much between you and the elements.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #9

The pathfinder has a 6000 lb tow capacity and has plenty of power here in the east. Our longest trips have been 1000 mile round trip. It stops ok and doesn't wiggle much when trucks pass. I'm close to the max tongue weight but have good margin on other limits. I'm thinking about buying a pickup to make it easier to load bikes and eliminate having to use strap-on tow mirrors.

I doubt you'll need weight distribution or sway control with your Silverado. Others having experience towing a hybrid behind a full size truck may comment. I bet you won't know its behind you.

I'm not sure about the minivan.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

My pickup has no special towing packages and it has absolutely no problems with sway or anything. I do not have WDH, not even sure the camper is rated for it.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #11

We use a WDH with our X19-H camper. It does smooth the handling back out again. Without WDH you will be taking a fair bit of weight off of your steer axle and handling can get a bit squirrely. I'll leave it off when just running the rig back from the storage lot, and I can tell the difference.

It's not as severe as if you were towing near the max capacity for your TV, but you will notice the difference. When fully loaded for a long trip we do start to notice the TT back there even with a full-size truck. The truck still has gobs of power for the hills, but you won't be winning any drag races, and you can actually see the needle moving on the gas gauge.

If you do get a WDH I would make sure that the bars are the correct size for your trailer weight. They can often be upgraded for heavier bars once twofootitis sets in and you upgrade.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #12

Hello, a little late to the party, but here's my take. The silverado is more than capable of towing the 19h with out the WDH, but I had one put on my new to us 2014 to help with Porpoising. I regularly tow my uncles uncles 23b (before we bought ours) and it handed it just fine he has a WDH. I use a 2015 silverado.
Boem2126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #13

Are there any training videos out there to help me with my Jayco Feather 19H? The manual has a lot of general information, but does not show where things are. I need pics and/or videos! lol. I am especially curious about the 12V system as to when it is on, how to know, how to switch over, would a generator be useful for dry camping?
dttennant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybottums33 View Post
Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the information. My wife and I have been making list's and watching you tube videos constantly. We are taking our first trip in the middle of Feb. We will be heading to a state park about 30 mins from our house.
I do you have one question though about the weight distribution hitch. I will be towing with a 2019 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition with the towing package. It has a towing capacity of around 11k and the GVCW is 15K I believe. In the towing guide, it says the distribution hitch is optional up to 7K. Do I still need one?
Dusty bottoms33
Add to EmptyNest list
Keep an eye out for possible leaks on the front and rear bunk doors. Hybrids are notorious for leaks around the doors. If you see delamination on outside, or a soft spot on the bed surface , you have a leak.
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote