Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #1

Question about X19H tongue weight...asking the masters

Hello All,

Potential (probable) near future hybrid owner. The wife and I have been looking for a travel trailer for a bit, but shoving a family of 6 (with 4 kids ranging from 7 to 5 months) into a conventional TT that the lovely lady's van can tow has been....challenging. Most TTs that can fit us are averaging 4200 pounds dry weight. That is too much for my comfort. Finding the hybrids has changed our search! My wife really likes the X17Z, however I think I am out on single axles, so I am looking at the X19H. My main question is about tongue weight. My wife drives a 2016 Ford Transit 150 (that new weird Ford eurovan looking thing...its awesome, check them out [no I don't work for Ford]) that has a max tow rating of 5100 pounds and a tongue weight of 510 pounds. That is going to be our main family tow vehicle, when we go away alone we will just use my F-150. At 3700ish pounds dry thats about 72.5% which I think I am comfortable with. The tongue weight is 400 pounds....but that is where I begin to get confused. We will be using a WDH, but how does the loading of the vehicle effect tongue weight? I do not want to overload it for various reasons (safety, warranties, Ford transmissions, my general distrust of the 3.5 Ecoboost engine, etc). I'm a numbers guy, but the sheer volume of numbers to crunch is making me crosseyed (GCWR 11200, GVWR 8550, payload 2880, GAWR 2550, TR 5100, TW 510, 2+2=4...ugh). So I'm asking the masters, what do you think? Thank you for any and all help. Hope to be joining the ranks soon.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

Looking here...
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...nsit_Sep28.pdf

Your TV has a 55 sq. ft. frontal area limit. Given that the x19H is 8x8=64 sq. ft.

Though this: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Nov12.pdf

Shows that an F-150 maxes out at only 60 sq ft.

You might want to consider the 7' wide trailers, though even those are 56 sq ft.

Ford doesn't show a separate max TW when using a WDH on the Transit like it does for other vehicles. So your max TW is 510#

The x19H has a dry weight of 3665# and a dry TW of 400#. Add in 100# for 2 propane tanks and a battery and you're pretty much at your max. Theoretically, with the HTT GVWR of 4950# you could have a TW from 500-750#.

How you load the TT affects TW. But you'd still want between 10-15% on the tongue.

Additionally, with that size trailer you'd probably want a WDH and from the TV perspective, the 100# WDH is extra TW.

You mention GCWR of 11200 and GVWR of 8550, question what's the actual weight of the TV?

I'd suggest taking a look at the TowingCapacityWorksheet on this page..
RV Itch - Resources

I won't say you can't do it...but you'd be pushing the TV if you do. (I have experience with that! )

From what I've heard about the Ecoboost, I wouldn't worry about the engine. Instead I'd be more concerned about the transmission. I didn't see anything about a factory transmission cooler. I'd consider putting on an aftermarket one; while you're at it put on an oil cooler to perhaps.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the future tt!!!

It looked old like the vans receiver hitch rating of 510lbs is going to be a limiting factor. As mentioned, a "brochure" dry tw of 400lbs will be close to 500lbs with a propane tank (1 or 2?) and a battery, ~85lbs for 1-20lb propane tank and a battery, and ~120lbs for 2-20lb propane tanks and a battery.... Before you load anything else in the tt.

While you can load some stuff behind the axles to help "control" the tw, remember you generally need 12-15% tw for a safe, stable tow. A wdh will transfer some of the weight to the tv front axle and the tt axles, but it looks like you will still be exceeding the receiver hitch rating.

While not ideal, if your F150 has the factory tow package, what about using that as the tv and your wife drive a few of the kids in the van? May even allow you to go to a slightly larger tt depending on how your F150 is optioned tow package wise from the factory.

Also watch the payload per the yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb of all vehicles since (about) '06. All passengers, cargo (coolers, firewood, bikes, etc), any accessories added afterward, the wdh, and the tt tw all count toward the vehicles payload rating.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote